Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDerby

Tom Lawrence - Fan criticism

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, cannable said:

I can tell you what Anya is, I can tell you what Wilson is, I can tell you what Bennett is, I can tell you what Ward was, I can tell you what Russell was, I can tell you what Bamford was, I can tell you what  Coutts was, I can tell you what Ince was, I can tell you what Dawkins was, I can tell you what Flo Jo is, I can tell you what Abdoul Camara was, I can tell you what Weimann was… I cannot tell you what Tom Lawrence is. 

Possibly a Tesco Value Tom Ince? 

He plays out wide usually on the left side, likes to come inside and shoot. Lacks quality but not confidence. holds on to the ball for too long, could be a lot better if he knew when to release the ball. A cracking shot and dangerous when coming inside from the left. A danger from set pieces. frustrates fans a lot. Very hit and miss. Has match winning quality. Better than Bennett.

 

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post

For me he’s in the top three Derby players I’ve seen in my lifetime.

- Top three greediest or most selfish

- Top three in terms of consistently making the wrong decisions

- Top three in terms of arrogance on the pitch

- Top three most frustrating 

I don’t know whether he is amazing in training and thus implored by his managers to play the way he does, or he’s incapable of learning. 

All Championship wingers can be frustrating, I get that. Ward, Russell, Tommy Smith. They all blew hot or cold.

But Lawrence is a different breed altogether. You could forgive him if he was a team player, but I just don’t see that in him. 

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Its also worth saying these criticisms are people writing on the internet, my ecoerience in real life is that people think Lawrence will come good even if the weaknesses are showing.

It's also worth saying that people in real life aren't to be trusted, my experience is that people on the internet are not somehow lesser than the people you reference as great supporters of your position.

For example, I met three million people - all lined up - at the bus stop this morning and each and every one said that we're not criticising Lawrence at all, just saying that he hasn't yet reached the heights expected of him. Honest!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

He plays out wide usually on the left side, likes to come inside and shoot. Lacks quality but not confidence. holds on to the ball for too long, could be a lot better if he knew when to release the ball. A cracking shot and dangerous when coming inside from the left. A danger from set pieces. frustrates fans a lot. Very hit and miss. Has match winning quality. Better than Bennett.

 

Hope this helps.

That’s all you needed to say 

He’s knuckle-balled a couple of free-kicks this season and put a couple of decent corners in against Hull last season, that’s about it when we’re talking set-pieces

Edited by cannable

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, cannable said:

That’s all you needed to say 

He’s knuckle-balled a couple of free-kicks this season and put a couple of decent corners in against Hull last season, that’s about it when we’re talking set-pieces

So you're telling me he isn't a danger when standing over free kicks? he scores more free kicks than most.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

So you're telling me he isn't a danger when standing over free kicks?

Depends what row you are sat in........

OK - I'm joking - but seriously, Wilson or Lawrence for a dead ball? Give me one nanosecond to think about that...... Mount or Lawrence? A picosecond for that one.....

Look, I'm not trying to say that Lawrence is awful, I really am not. Glass half full I am saying he has development to do, glass half empty I am saying he doesn't look like a £7m player. Either way, he's a Ram and I wish him the best but that doesn't mean I can't see the cracks.

Edited by BaaLocks

Share this post


Link to post

He was brought in to replace Ince - he hasn't as of yet..........Has anyone?

Im a fan of Lawrence and i have a feeling that he will be a big player for us the later the season goes.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

He was brought in to replace Ince - he hasn't as of yet..........Has anyone?

Im a fan of Lawrence and i have a feeling that he will be a big player for us the later the season goes.

So you see a gradual improvement in his play?Afraid i dont and right now we play better without him in my view.

However Frank is the man he must see something in the lad i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

For me he’s in the top three Derby players I’ve seen in my lifetime.

- Top three greediest or most selfish

- Top three in terms of consistently making the wrong decisions

- Top three in terms of arrogance on the pitch

- Top three most frustrating 

I don’t know whether he is amazing in training and thus implored by his managers to play the way he does, or he’s incapable of learning. 

All Championship wingers can be frustrating, I get that. Ward, Russell, Tommy Smith. They all blew hot or cold.

But Lawrence is a different breed altogether. You could forgive him if he was a team player, but I just don’t see that in him. 

I see your football knowledge has come on leaps and bounds over the past 6 years 😂

On 08/12/2012 at 19:38, Bris Vegas said:

I can tell you 100% you can find better players than Will Hughes for $1mill.. Will Hughes may reach the top, but he has about as much potential as thousands of Spanish youngsters on the books of better clubs..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It's also worth saying that people in real life aren't to be trusted, my experience is that people on the internet are not somehow lesser than the people you reference as great supporters of your position.

For example, I met three million people - all lined up - at the bus stop this morning and each and every one said that we're not criticising Lawrence at all, just saying that he hasn't yet reached the heights expected of him. Honest!

It’s funny, the people I see on the internet seem to try and subvert debate with petty arguments that aren’t related.

Point is, a lot fans in real life don’t analyse a players performance to the degree some like to do in here. They just want to see a player do well for Derby County and appreciate not ever player is perfect. So don’t take a forum as the be all and end all.

With respect, you’ve said a load of old baa-locks there!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Russell imo was a better player.

Spat my coffee out at that. 

Over the summer, Lawrence was the one outfield player I didn't want us to sell, more from the sense of potential than anything he has achieved so far. 

I thought he might have shown more signs of progress by now, so there is some frustration, but the team as a whole hasn't settled yet, so it's still early days. 

Share this post


Link to post

I think a lot of this criticism is very harsh for a player at the start of his career, he hasn't played many games for his age and I really think he will come good. 


Anyone with a football brain can see that he's got ability, I think he'll be our highest scoring winger this season, in fact I'll be shocked if he isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

think a lot of this criticism is very harsh for a player at the start of his career, he hasn't played many games for his age and I really think he will come good. 

He is not young, by mid season he will be 25. Peak years for a top player. Personality will be pretty fixed and skills developed to the point where only small improvements will be made.

My view is well known from previous posts, I did think at the beginning of this season that he was improving, but his stupid sending off, general play for us and Wales convinces me he will never be a top player! 

Share this post


Link to post

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.