Tom Lawrence - Fan criticism

JoeDerby

53 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It's also worth saying that people in real life aren't to be trusted, my experience is that people on the internet are not somehow lesser than the people you reference as great supporters of your position.

For example, I met three million people - all lined up - at the bus stop this morning and each and every one said that we're not criticising Lawrence at all, just saying that he hasn't yet reached the heights expected of him. Honest!

It’s funny, the people I see on the internet seem to try and subvert debate with petty arguments that aren’t related.

Point is, a lot fans in real life don’t analyse a players performance to the degree some like to do in here. They just want to see a player do well for Derby County and appreciate not ever player is perfect. So don’t take a forum as the be all and end all.

With respect, you’ve said a load of old baa-locks there!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Russell imo was a better player.

Spat my coffee out at that. 

Over the summer, Lawrence was the one outfield player I didn't want us to sell, more from the sense of potential than anything he has achieved so far. 

I thought he might have shown more signs of progress by now, so there is some frustration, but the team as a whole hasn't settled yet, so it's still early days. 

I think a lot of this criticism is very harsh for a player at the start of his career, he hasn't played many games for his age and I really think he will come good. 

Anyone with a football brain can see that he's got ability, I think he'll be our highest scoring winger this season, in fact I'll be shocked if he isn't.

The price tag, whilst not his fault, hasn't helped the situation. When a club at this level buys a player for 5 million you expect him to deliver, not be waiting around years for him to grasp the idea of him passing to his team mates. That's all that's missing really, it's annoying. 

26 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

think a lot of this criticism is very harsh for a player at the start of his career, he hasn't played many games for his age and I really think he will come good. 

He is not young, by mid season he will be 25. Peak years for a top player. Personality will be pretty fixed and skills developed to the point where only small improvements will be made.

My view is well known from previous posts, I did think at the beginning of this season that he was improving, but his stupid sending off, general play for us and Wales convinces me he will never be a top player! 

26 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

He is not young, by mid season he will be 25. Peak years for a top player. Personality will be pretty fixed and skills developed to the point where only small improvements will be made.

My view is well known from previous posts, I did think at the beginning of this season that he was improving, but his stupid sending off, general play for us and Wales convinces me he will never be a top player! 

I never said he was young, I just said he hasn't played a lot of games for his age and still has a lot to learn.

16 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

The sad thing is, We're still missing a Jamie Ward. The balance just seemed to be right when he was on the pitch whoever was on the other side.

We've had better wingers than Ward and will no doubt continue to buy better wingers but he was prefect for us and the way we played. Didn't matter if he was left with Fozzy, right with Brayford, or Wisdom after that, he was completely on the same page as his fullback. Midfielders that tucked in and worked those triangles with him and the fullback.. oooh stop it. 

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

With respect, you’ve said a load of old baa-locks there!

Kinda like this.....

Mr. Smoketoomuch: Oh, hello. My name is Smoketoomuch.

Mr. Bounder: What?

Mr. Smoketoomuch: My name is Smoketoomuch. Mr. Smoketoomuch.

Mr. Bounder: Well, you'd better cut down a little then.

Mr. Smoketoomuch: I'm sorry?

Mr. Bounder: You'd better cut down a little then.

Mr. Smoketoomuch: Oh, I see! Smoke too much so I'd better cut down a little then!

At the moment, like Wilson he is a highlights player. Does the odd great thing but his general play is really poor. Loses possession far too often and makes poor decisions. 

They both have potential but playing both together is a nightmare. 

3 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

So you're telling me he isn't a danger when standing over free kicks? he scores more free kicks than most.

I seem to recall this commentary too often, 

‘and it’s Lawrence to take this kick, oh dear straight into the wall’

Given our current options I cannot imagine he will be taking many/any in the near future

9 minutes ago, sage said:

At the moment, like Wilson he is a highlights player. Does the odd great thing but his general play is really poor. Loses possession far too often and makes poor decisions. 

For me Wilson links up with Mount far to well to be dropped for Lawrence. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The price tag, whilst not his fault, hasn't helped the situation. When a club at this level buys a player for 5 million you expect him to deliver, not be waiting around years for him to grasp the idea of him passing to his team mates. That's all that's missing really, it's annoying. 

...I learned at age 10 that football is a passing game in which team “a” by possessing and passing the ball, scores goals. When I played, I mostly passed the ball; occasionally I took on a player and beat him, before passing the ball to a team mate. 

I came across players who, having received the ball would try and beat 2-3 players. Occasionally they did, but mostly they lost the ball. 

Football has the same principles whether it’s Sunday League or Premiership. And the same kinds of players: some “team” players, and some “individualists”. Give me 11 team players any day...

Do you think it’s about learning to pass at 22? 

My impression is of an immature personality.

He doesn't seem to have the mental strength to boss games by doing the things the opposition least want him to. There's nothing wrong with having a player who takes defenders on, as long as he knows what he's going to do next.

He aims sly kicks when we need firm tackles and is too gobby with refs.

There's a good player in there but only when he grows up and realises his responsibility to the team and recognises that working with his teammates is the key to his (and the team's) success.

25 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Phew. I was getting bored in the international break, thank god we got another player bashing thread. 

Dude, there are threads about all our players for good and bad reasons eventually. 

I've been a pretty staunch supporter where Tom's concerned and remain so. I think he has bags of ability and I also believe it'll click at some point but I do understand folks' frustrations as he remains maddeningly inconsistent. Hopefully Frank and Jody can get him playing the way many on here feel he can or I fear his not insignificant transfer fee will become something of a millstone. 

Archived