Tom Lawrence - Fan criticism

JoeDerby

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK so this might be mildly controversial but much has been made of Mount and Tomori with the doom and gloom merchants predicting the end of days once they leave but if there are are more in-form players at Derby right now than Huddz, Tommy L and Jack Marriot then I've not seen them. *Runs to retrieve flak jacket and hard hat.....

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

OK so this might be mildly controversial but much has been made of Mount and Tomori with the doom and gloom merchants predicting the end of days once they leave but if there are are more in-form players at Derby right now than Huddz, Tommy L and Jack Marriot then I've not seen them. *Runs to retrieve flak jacket and hard hat.....

Spot on, world class passing from TH, electric and direct running from TL and the goal machine JM.....the 3 best players for me in the last 4 games.

I know it's not happened for years, but our players do genuinely seem to be getting better. Rather than buying players and seeing them decline, we finally seem to have a coaching setup that's improving them. I would have taken the money for Tom Lawrence in pre-season, but since he's come back from the sending off I really think he's stepped up a level. Another great performance tonight at Stamford Bridge. No one doubted his ability, but he's becoming the team player we needed him to be.

It's not just Lawrence - Bradley Johnson has come on leaps and bounds too. Everyone seems to be playing with more skill and intelligence - not to mention the intensity and desire.

And what @86 pointssays about him, Huddz and Marriott is spot on. Yes we have three loanees, but with have another 20 or so good players who are ours.

Thought he was excellent today. He perhaps didn't have the stats to back that comment up. No assists, did he actually have a shot on target? His decision making does seem to have improved immeasurable since coming back from his suspension. A very good team performance from Tom today.

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Thought he was excellent today. He perhaps didn't have the stats to back that comment up. No assists, did he actually have a shot on target? His decision making does seem to have improved immeasurable since coming back from his suspension. A very good team performance from Tom today.

Hmmm he needs to look at what Bennett and Waghorn do the other side. They track back and help the fullback defend, Tom doesn’t, he’s a tad lazy to me. 

Felt sorry for him today as Holmes was a touch greedy on a chance where Lawrence was running in on the edge of the box, unmarked, nobody in his crosshair and Holmes went alone. He would have deserved a goal. 

Holmes did too though so you got to let him off with that moment. 

Played excellent and kept us in possession in some tight areas. Good stuff

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Totally agree thought he had a very mature performance despite not getting a shooting opportunity today he used the ball well and did his defensive duties well.

Thought in the first half there was a opportunity to switch him into the Mount role and move Holmes who was not effecting the game at that stage out onto the wing.

I think Tom’s been much better since Wilson was moved to central midfield. He seems to have a lot more space as other players have an extra threat to deal with, with Wilson playing so advanced.

I think beforehand he was more isolated and tried to do too much when perhaps the space wasn’t available. Now he has more support and more room, he’s looking a much better player.

Think he’s matured since the sending off, really don’t see what some suggest as “lazy” in his at all...

What I see and always have is a player who has never hidden, Yeah he wears heart on his sleeve, some things never came off..... but the lad is talented.

Thought he was so intelligent when playing ball in our own half yesterday.... completely takes pressure off defence when you got a lad who can play a simple pass to release pressure.

Intelligent lad, I would say it’s a tad lazy of some of us to think he ain’t. 

Archived