Tom Lawrence - Fan criticism

JoeDerby

I've noticed on Social Media some negative comments surrounding Lawrence.

On a social media post notifying the fans he had been selected for the Wales squad -

'Why have they picked Lawrence? Do Wales have 45323 unfit players or something?'

'Lawrence???? Absolutely crap'

The Wales fans also have mixed feelings on twitter, in a short summary they're saying, the quality is there but the decision making isn't.

I'd like the opinion of some fans on here, I really don't think he's crap. Inconsistent, yes. For a winger, he works hard, plays with aggression and is one of our only players that can create something out of nothing along with Mount and Wilson, possibly Jozefzoon?

For me, he's a spark on the left wing and he's too much of a threat to leave out of the team.

Opinions please.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we brought him we thought that we had grabbed ourselves a young and very promising talent at a reasonable price, but he rarely shows any great skill , constantly runs down dead ends shys out of tackles and seems to think he's alot better than he actually is at the moment , he's not crap and gets the odd goal,  no better than some of the other options available to us at the moment imo but hopefully he'll become more consistent with time.

2 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

When we brought him we thought that we had grabbed ourselves a young and very promising talent at a reasonable price, but he rarely shows any great skill , constantly runs down dead ends shys out of tackles and seems to think he's alot better than he actually is at the moment , he's not crap and gets the odd goal,  no better than some of the other options available to us at the moment imo but hopefully he'll become more consistent with time.

I do agree what you're saying but I can't say I've ever seen him shy out of a tackle, for a winger he's very aggressive and physical in his play.

43 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I do agree what you're saying but I can't say I've ever seen him shy out of a tackle, for a winger he's very aggressive and physical in his play.

It’s not shying out of atackle, for Lawrence it’s about being in a position defensively to put in a better challenge or even stop the pass in the first place. This was the issue with Vydra and Ince too. At times they were good at getting back and getting an interception but they had to get back as they were out of position in the first place.

Lawrence is frustrating but name a top winger who isn’t? I personally feel his development has been about being ‘all out attack’ when he now needs to think about the other side as he matures. He will get there.

Thought he was greedy at Blackburn when commentators were raving about his skill while Rhodes was falling asleep in the box waiting for a pass.

Thought Ipswich suited him better when their only means of attack were the hoof or the Lawrence solo run. 

Think he was similar use to Rowett but I'm so bored of watching him use wide open team mates, who have made great angles, as decoys so he play Ronaldo. He will waste so many good chances for us to benefit as a team so he can look good. If he had that bit of extra quality to pull it off then fine. But he hasn't. 

Russell imo was a better player. He took the ball from defence and dropped it off in attack so often. Now he wasn't always the most composed player in the last 20 yards but his work rate and dribbling ability were a big plus for us.

Lawrence sometimes does this well but more often than not he'll keep going and going ignoring the openings and then pass when he absolutely has to or he'll shoot. 

Since his Blackburn days he's "looked dangerous". He doesn't look dangerous to me when I know what he's going to do most the time. 

I don't think he's doomed to be pooh forever. But he's not got the ability Ibe had and he's not improving. I think Wilson has quicker feet and turn. 

Just a poor team player who dribbles and dribbles and dribbles and dribbles and dribbles and dribblzzzzzz

7 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Who would you say is our best winger at the club? I think Lawrence has offered the most this year, even though he hasn't been at his best.

Depends on your definition of a winger - the game has certainly moved past the need for a gangly git who can go like the clappers and whip a cross in a la Paul Emson. Bennett provided the best cross of the season against Reading but he hasn't repeated it and doesn't - in my book - look like doing so. So, if the question is the best provider from wide positions I would have to say that Foz and Bogle have done more than any of the wide players.

Just now, BaaLocks said:

Depends on your definition of a winger - the game has certainly moved past the need for a gangly git who can go like the clappers and whip a cross in a la Paul Emson. Bennett provided the best cross of the season against Reading but he hasn't repeated it and doesn't - in my book - look like doing so. So, if the question is the best provider from wide positions I would have to say that Foz and Bogle have done more than any of the wide players.

By winger I mean in a 4 3 3 the two that play either side of the striker. Jozefzoon has been hit and miss to be honest. Bennett has only looked good off the bench and apart from that has been dreadful.

Trouble is the lad seems to think hes already a great player,the finished article no more to learn here.Compare that to the attitudes of our other young players who are striving to be better,they all know theres a long journey ahead and accept the challenge.

No question Lawrence has the ability to become an asset to this club,he has the skills its just the bit between his ears he has to sort out,

1 minute ago, CROSSWORD said:

Trouble is the lad seems to think hes already a great player,the finished article no more to learn here.Compare that to the attitudes of our other young players who are striving to be better,they all know theres a long journey ahead and accept the challenge.

No question Lawrence has the ability to become an asset to this club,he has the skills its just the bit between his ears he has to sort out,

What is this conclusion based on?

2 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

What leads you to believe he thinks he is already a great player?

3 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Got a very, very good shot on him but can't take players on when playing on the wing and his passing is pretty average. Hits a mean free-kick. 

Basically, we sold Tom Ince and bought another, slightly younger version. 

If we've bought the Steve McClaren Episode One version then that's great news, if we've got any other version then oh dear.....

Our best winger imo, if he was consistent, he would still be at Leicester playing in the PL.

As he is picked on a regular basis by FL and RG, two players who have played at the highest level and know what it takes to influence a game, just shows my opinion is right as well ?

It’s also worth pointing out that Wilson and Mount are the golden boys at the minute, for obvious reasons, and therefore can do no wrong even if the criticisms Lawrence gets can also be landed at the feet of those two. Out of three Lawrence is Derby’s long term prospect and has to be managed correctly. He had an influential start this season and will come back in and effect games again soon as well.

Its also worth saying these criticisms are people writing on the internet, my ecoerience in real life is that people think Lawrence will come good even if the weaknesses are showing. I like Lawrence a lot, let him develop and support him  like we are letting other clubs loanees develop and he will be an asset. Criticise our player and give the loanees the plaudits isn’t going to help that 

Archived