18/19 January Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

Gary Cahill is the kind of old-head marquee signing that I originally expected Lampard to make one of to help relay his message on the field and in light of Curtis’ injury, is the kind of player we need right now.  To be honest though, I would still expect him to be out of our reach right now. We also need a left-back and provided his quality is still there I’ve warmed to the idea of Cole.

I’m unsure on right back as ultimately (without wanting to turn us into a Chelsea XI) I would like us to go for Ola Aina but that won’t be possible until the end of the season.

could do with another CM and a forward (Nugent hasn’t been his usual self this season and I’m still to be convinced by Waghorn).

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jere Uronen, playing for Genk, is running out of contract next summer so should be available in January.

Attacking left-back who's had quite a lot of injuries so fits perfectly! Problem is there could be interest from bigger clubs too.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Gary Cahill will end up with Aston Villa, as will any player we are remotely linked with.

James Chester, Albert Adomah, Henri Lansbury, Conor Hourihane, Tami Abraham, Scott Hogan, John McGinn, Richie De Laat, Jonathon Kodija, Glenn Whelan.  Gary Cahill will no doubt join that list.

Didn't he start off at Villa too? If he drops to the championship it seems a certainty...can't see him going down a league though.

Neal Maupay from Brentford is someone worth looking at, if we could afford him.

14 goals and 6 assists this season, he is 22, can play on the wing and as a striker.

If Lampard wanted that extra bit of quality that maybe Lawrence is lacking at the minute, this could be our man.

I expect they would want top dollar unfortunately.

Might be a good idea to target players at struggling clubs who could be interested in a bit of wheeling and dealing.....

since butters, johnno, GT, ledley and anya seem unlikely to feature and we have two midfielders on loan, (plus lawrence not pulling up any trees), it could be an opportunity to strengthen the midfield 

grant ward - ipswich - 24 years old, versatile attacking midfielder

jake cooper - millwall - 23 year old big bugger centre half 

jarrod bowen - hull - 21 year old attacking mid/striker - 2 for 1 exchange deal?

ollie watkins - brentford - 22year old attacking mid - previously a target for us

adam reach - sheff wed - 25 years old versatile left footer - can play left back

nick powell - wigan - amazingly still only 24 year old - attacking mid

alan browne - preston - 23 year old versatile mid - scores a few goes 

dan james - swansea - 21 year old titch - played well v us, fast, left wing or striker

32 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Might be a good idea to target players at struggling clubs who could be interested in a bit of wheeling and dealing.....

since butters, johnno, GT, ledley and anya seem unlikely to feature and we have two midfielders on loan, (plus lawrence not pulling up any trees), it could be an opportunity to strengthen the midfield 

grant ward - ipswich - 24 years old, versatile attacking midfielder

jake cooper - millwall - 23 year old big bugger centre half 

jarrod bowen - hull - 21 year old attacking mid/striker - 2 for 1 exchange deal?

ollie watkins - brentford - 22year old attacking mid - previously a target for us

adam reach - sheff wed - 25 years old versatile left footer - can play left back

nick powell - wigan - amazingly still only 24 year old - attacking mid

alan browne - preston - 23 year old versatile mid - scores a few goes 

dan james - swansea - 21 year old titch - played well v us, fast, left wing or striker

All pretty good options, but l would put a reasonable amount of money on Ampadu already being allocated to the second half of our season.  A good right back/centre back would be most useful to the squad - we do look weak at the back, and l don’t personally think either Wisdom or Pearce are the answers.

34 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

All pretty good options, but l would put a reasonable amount of money on Ampadu already being allocated to the second half of our season.  A good right back/centre back would be most useful to the squad - we do look weak at the back, and l don’t personally think either Wisdom or Pearce are the answers.

I don't think frank thinks wisdom or pearce are the answers either.

we still face a big rebuilding job. Of all of the new permanent signings only marriott has really established himself.

jozefzoon, malone, holmes, and waghorn flit in and out, (altho fozzy's injury opens the door for malone by default).

Nuge is fading fast whilst huddlestone, bryson and keogh are also the wrong side of 30.

still lots to do.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I can see us signing Ampadu, definitely. I also think that Lowe & Thomas will come back into the first team picture, both doing extremely well and with Forsyth & Bennett injured. 

I personally think that will probably be it for us.

Lowe quite possibly due to Fozzys' injury but I will be really surprised if Thomas returns in January, due to the valuable game time he's getting at Coventry and the number of players in the squad ahead of him for one of the wide positions.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Beyond the obvious incomings needed to cover long term injuries, I’d still be looking at foden myself. Clearly then you need some possibly shorter term defensive cover, Cole and ampadu for me. Right back too if we can and flog wisdom.

Foden - absolutely no chance. I'm fairly sure Guardiola is wanting to integrate him fully into the squad, particularly with De Bruyne yet to fully recover from injury - hence his regular position on the bench.

Bit harsh on Wisdom, sell him if we can get a decent fee but to give him a beating as well is taking it too far!

Can see Ampadu coming in after we nearly got him in the summer, can play both CB & CDM which is 2 positions we could probably do with players in, wouldn't be shocked to see Hudson-Odoi in on loan as well which could see Waghorn used more through the middle. I still think Cole may come in on a free too. Id like us to try & get another striker on loan, give us a plan B, Marriott Waghorn & Nugent all pretty similar.

I think both Thomas & Lowe will still out on loan, much better for them than potentially making our bench, Wisdom doesnt make it so no guarantee those 2 would either.

I can see Anya Butterfield Thorne Ledley & Nugent leaving in Jan.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Foden - absolutely no chance. I'm fairly sure Guardiola is wanting to integrate him fully into the squad, particularly with De Bruyne yet to fully recover from injury - hence his regular position on the bench.

Bit harsh on Wisdom, sell him if we can get a decent fee but to give him a beating as well is taking it too far!

Yeah I don’t think it’s particularly realistic but it’s gotta be worth a call to see...

Thats what I meant by if we can, he doesn’t suit the system at all so we’re much better getting in someone more like bogle, but with a bit more experience to relieve the pressure on him.

Archived