18/19 January Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

3 hours ago, David said:

It’s possible that a reason for the improvement is they can see a clear path to the first team with Bogle, Bennett and Bird all making the first team this season. Start bringing in untested youth from elsewhere would send out the wrong message and we all know that vegetables you grow yourself taste much sweeter than those in the big supermarkets.

I understand (and don't disagree with) your point, but should we be citing Mason Bennett in this context, to the present day Academy boys?  Yes, I know he's still young in theory, but he's long since out of his teens, and has been rapping at the door since his (first team) debut seven years ago... albeit at a very impressive record-breaking young age!

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's still here, and glad he's still getting the opportunity (injuries and loans notwithstanding), but after all this time, I don't think many of us would have been surprised if he had been "allowed to leave" any time during the last 3 or 4 years?

I wouldn't necessarily describe Mason's particular journey as "a clear path to the first team".

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I understand (and don't disagree with) your point, but should we be citing Mason Bennett in this context, to the present day Academy boys?  Yes, I know he's still young in theory, but he's long since out of his teens, and has been rapping at the door since his (first team) debut seven years ago... albeit at a very impressive record-breaking young age!

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's still here, and glad he's still getting the opportunity (injuries and loans notwithstanding), but after all this time, I don't think many of us would have been surprised if he had been "allowed to leave" any time during the last 3 or 4 years?

I wouldn't necessarily describe Mason's particular journey as "a clear path to the first team".

I won’t argue any of that, his path has been full of obstacles, I was in free flow listing academy players.

Talking of free flow, was Bennett free styling at the door or was it pre prepared raps? 

Wouldn't mind listening if there’s any footage knocking about ?

27 minutes ago, David said:

Talking of free flow, was Bennett free styling at the door or was it pre prepared raps? 

Wouldn't mind listening if there’s any footage knocking about ?

I'm so sorry.  I'm mid-fifties, so rapping has a totally different meaning to today.

My fault entirely, so apologies.

Off to study urbandictionarydotcomma, before I post again, to save myself from further embarrassment!  

18 hours ago, David said:

This Hudson-Odoi, seen his name mentioned a few times, not seen him play so went in search of the stats.

35 minutes played in Europa League

27 minutes played in the Premier League

53 minutes played in the FA Cup

That’s careeer totals. 

Other than that it’s all been at youth level, Premier League 2 and England up to the U19s.

I get he’s gaining the internet hype from YouTube clips and possibly video games, but can I point out that our U23s are currently top of the Premier League 2.

Why not give game time to one of our own? I get it’s not exciting as bringing in a Chelsea starlet, but he’s barely played. It’s a huge risk, especially when we’re in a promotion fight with a number of clubs, would rather take a risk if we need to on one of our own.

We’ve got Luke Thomas for a start that looked lively in pre season with the first team and by all accounts doing well over in Coventry, his loan is up in January. 

There were probably similar posts with Guy and Thomas when Mount and Wilson signed. Whilst I hear what you’re saying, Callum Hudson Odoi is rated as highly as Sancho was by the England youth team coaches and rated higher than Mount in the Chelsea academy. Hudson-Odoi is a future world class talent injury permitting and he continues to work hard. It doesn’t really matter because he won’t come here, he will probably do what Lookman did and go to Leipzig in January.

20 minutes ago, McLovin said:

There were probably similar posts with Guy and Thomas when Mount and Wilson signed. Whilst I hear what you’re saying, Callum Hudson Odoi is rated as highly as Sancho was by the England youth team coaches and rated higher than Mount in the Chelsea academy. Hudson-Odoi is a future world class talent injury permitting and he continues to work hard. It doesn’t really matter because he won’t come here, he will probably do what Lookman did and go to Leipzig in January.

Rated as potentially world class yet hasn’t made the step up to the U21s yet, still plays for the U19s. I won’t argue he’s highly rated, but we hear this time and time again about these Chelsea youngsters, after multiple loans they end up at Boro. Even Tammy Abaraham couldn’t get a Premier League club in the summer, had to go to Villa, whilst he’s a very good striker at this level he was also hyped up at the time.

Not saying Hudson-Odoi won’t be that world class player and be one that actually breaks through, just as yet it’s just talk, if he goes out to Germany or Vitesse and does the business, lets take a look next season.

Pretty sure you was adamant we wouldn’t get Mount?

17 minutes ago, David said:

Rated as potentially world class yet hasn’t made the step up to the U21s yet, still plays for the U19s. I won’t argue he’s highly rated, but we hear this time and time again about these Chelsea youngsters, after multiple loans they end up at Boro. Even Tammy Abaraham couldn’t get a Premier League club in the summer, had to go to Villa, whilst he’s a very good striker at this level he was also hyped up at the time.

Not saying Hudson-Odoi won’t be that world class player and be one that actually breaks through, just as yet it’s just talk, if he goes out to Germany or Vitesse and does the business, lets take a look next season.

Pretty sure you was adamant we wouldn’t get Mount?

Abraham wasn’t hyped anywhere near as high as Hudson-Odoi though or any of the other Chelsea youngsters. Chelsea fans say he’s their greatest player to come out of their academy since Terry. Taken from the Chelsea forum, albeit to call him the biggest talent in the world may be an exaggeration:

“Biggest talent in world football. He's already world class and should be in our starting line-up next season. He's rapid, powerful, the ball sticks to his left foot like it's tied to a piece of string, he knows when to release a pass and has great composure in the attacking 3rd. He also has the thing all the great players have - time seems to move slower for him. Age is just a number - lets start him next season!”

Hudson-Odoi also started in Chelsea’s match v Man City  in the community shield and did well. His only problem is that he plays in the same position as Hazard. Coaches generally know how good a player will be. Foden hasn’t played much for Man City but is seen to be David Silva’s replacement.  Hudson-Odoi has already reached a European championship final with England , rated one of the players of the tournament and won the World Cup with England under 17s. You are right that he needs to go out and back it up in the men’s game but you could say the same about our youngsters. He’s seen among similar ability to Sancho and Reiss Nelson who are both tearing it up in Germany. 

And you are correct that I thought we wouldn’t get Mount. Ajax were set to get him as reported but after seeing Frenkie De Jong’s development, they most likely decided to no longer to pursue him which gave us an opportunity to get him. 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Taken from the Chelsea forum, albeit to call him the biggest talent in the world may be an exaggeration:

Just quoting this bit as most club fans do hype up their own fairly often, we see it here with Sibley the next Mount, it happens down the A52, over in Liverpool, just what we do as we become attached to our own, even though most of Chelsea’s are brought in.

A lot of fans appear to get a little star struck by these kids because they are at the big clubs where many are released and trickle down to League 2. 

The position we’re in going for promotion, I don’t think we should be taking punts on hype and minimal performances that’s all, as that’s what it would be right now. As I mentioned above, Mount and Wilson proved they were capable elsewhere first. We took a huge one with Lampard, let’s not push our luck!

Someones got to be the club to give them the chance, just not us this time. Worst comes to the worst with injuries we appear to have a decent U23 team currently developing we can dip into.

On 27/11/2018 at 23:10, David said:

This Hudson-Odoi, seen his name mentioned a few times, not seen him play so went in search of the stats.

35 minutes played in Europa League

27 minutes played in the Premier League

53 minutes played in the FA Cup

That’s careeer totals. 

Other than that it’s all been at youth level, Premier League 2 and England up to the U19s.

I get he’s gaining the internet hype from YouTube clips and possibly video games, but can I point out that our U23s are currently top of the Premier League 2.

Why not give game time to one of our own? I get it’s not exciting as bringing in a Chelsea starlet, but he’s barely played. It’s a huge risk, especially when we’re in a promotion fight with a number of clubs, would rather take a risk if we need to on one of our own.

We’ve got Luke Thomas for a start that looked lively in pre season with the first team and by all accounts doing well over in Coventry, his loan is up in January. 

Starting tonight for them in Europe League. 

Hudson-Odoi may not be proven as yet but the fact that he's not starting for Chelsea shouldn't be held against him. Also, it's not just the fans that rate him, Sarri does too. Otherwise he'd have let him go out during the least window instead of insisting he stayed. Does Odoi really need have secured first team football before he's a viable option for Derby anyway? And would he still be available if he had? To be honest, on the balance of transfers taken since Nige's reign, I'd have rather we had adopted a higher risk profile than more often plumping for so-called proven players, who have often been more disappointing than their younger and supposedly riskier counterparts. Frankly, I don't think we'll get Odoi, but if we did, I'd be pretty sure he'd add something to the side. Whether he is the priority right now, is an altogether bigger conundrum, to my mind, at least. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Sign him up.

Got an assist as well. Looked a bit like Ibe when we signed him, good dribbler (if a little too predictable, played LW nd liked to cut inside), played some cracking passes, a couple of decent efforts and some poor shots. 

He has a really nice, fluid dribbling style- a bit like Neymar’s.

Highlights from his game against Arsenal

England are stacked in the winger department for many years with Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Hudson-Odoi, Nelson and Lookman coming through. We didn’t really have any young wingers coming through a few years ago, maybe the odd one or two like Oxlade Chamberlain but things are looking very bright for Gareth Southgate. 

23 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He has a really nice, fluid dribbling style- a bit like Neymar’s.

Highlights from his game against Arsenal

England are stacked in the winger department for many years with Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Hudson-Odoi, Nelson and Lookman coming through. We didn’t really have any young wingers coming through a few years ago, maybe the odd one or two like Oxlade Chamberlain but things are looking very bright for Gareth Southgate. 

Literally not seen anything of him before, but even though that was only one game he seemed to have more than enough for the Championship. That video looked as if it showed even his poor touches so not a highlights a la Cámara. Would like to know how much defensive work he puts in as well.

Archived