18/19 January Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Couple of young highly rated Bayern Munich rejects- Julian Green and Gaudino. Green is a quick, tricky winger and Gaudino is a clever technical midfielder. I saw both play a few occasions for Bayern a few year ago and thought they’d go right to the top. Gaudino is a free agent and has more footballing talent on his little finger than Johnson and Butterfield together in my opinion but for whatever reason their careers have drifted after Guardiola left Bayern but I know Guardiola was a massive fan of both. 

They’d be cheap as chips, going for the more proven route hasn’t particularly worked.  Maybe going for players who have been rejected and have a point to prove is the way to go? Even if they flop, it wouldn’t be costly. Sáiz, Klich and Alioski were unknown before Leeds bought them. 

Even though I haven't watched them play , I agree that this sort of approach would be best for us , young , hungry players with a point to prove and obvious technical ability. The  only problem is  it is not always easy for young technical players to adapt to championship football and the physical demands, and it takes a player with a certain character to come from Germany to play over here, although having Lampard as manager obviously helps attract players.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, McLovin said:

Couple of young highly rated Bayern Munich rejects- Julian Green and Gaudino. Green is a quick, tricky winger and Gaudino is a clever technical midfielder. I saw both play a few occasions for Bayern a few year ago and thought they’d go right to the top. Gaudino is a free agent and has more footballing talent on his little finger than Johnson and Butterfield together in my opinion but for whatever reason their careers have drifted after Guardiola left Bayern but I know Guardiola was a massive fan of both. 

They’d be cheap as chips, going for the more proven route hasn’t particularly worked.  Maybe going for players who have been rejected and have a point to prove is the way to go? Even if they flop, it wouldn’t be costly. Sáiz, Klich and Alioski were unknown before Leeds bought them. 

While these are both exciting suggestions, they aren’t unknown to most in European football and I highly doubt they would be ‘cheap as chips’. To play in the second tier of English football over the top tier in the majority of European countries (where European football is a possibility) they would be looking for a realistic chance of promotion (which could happen here) and a large payday (which is unlikely until we offload).

Whilst next season I would agree we neeed the pace and skill of youth again to replicate the efforts of Mount and Wilson, both of whom will surely depart, what we need now is a new central core.

Physical centre half, battling midfield player and partner for Marriott.

What we need may not be what we get, however.

8 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Even though I haven't watched them play , I agree that this sort of approach would be best for us , young , hungry players with a point to prove and obvious technical ability. The  only problem is  it is not always easy for young technical players to adapt to championship football and the physical demands, and it takes a player with a certain character to come from Germany to play over here, although having Lampard as manager obviously helps attract players.

There’s a risk with every signing, I don’t think knowing the championship is as important as people make out. Marriott and Wilson hardly played in the championship and they’re our best two players and Anya, Johnson and Butterfield ‘know’ the championship but look how they have turned out. 

14 minutes ago, r4derby said:

While these are both exciting suggestions, they aren’t unknown to most in European football and I highly doubt they would be ‘cheap as chips’. To play in the second tier of English football over the top tier in the majority of European countries (where European football is a possibility) they would be looking for a realistic chance of promotion (which could happen here) and a large payday (which is unlikely until we offload).

Gaudino is now a free agent so the only issue would be wage demands? Being a free agent I don’t think he’s in a position to demand high wages. As for Green, whilst he joined his new club last year, they are a relatively small, a midtable side in the second division of Germany, so it shouldn’t take ‘too much’ to get him if we wanted him. I think it’s got to the point where it’s almost impossible to get top quality signings from other clubs in this league without spending huge amounts of money so we need to think outside the box by looking at lower leagues(like we did with Marriott) and the foreign market. Camara and Albentosa not working out shouldn’t put us off using the foreign market.

I would agree that the two from germany wouldn't attract massive wages or fees. Just take a look at the average wage for the 2nd division in Germany to give you some perspective. The two lads would also have more coverage playing for Derby and could be seen as a stepping stone should they have the right ability and attitude.

I mean we do hoof it to Marriott a lot but crouch is as old as Cole and nowhere near the same quality in his respective position. Cahill would be a great signing but his wages are astronomical, get the point that Fulham are as good as down but we can hardly afford someone from the local pub, yet alone Cahills 100k a week wages!

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think the priority has to be a defender and combative midfielder. Watching some old rams clips the other day. If only we could find another Van der Laan...just what we need....

CB has to be main priority I think we may struggle to bring anyone in, some stupid figures getting thrown about, he could be a decent attacking option if available 

31 minutes ago, Topram said:

CB has to be main priority I think we may struggle to bring anyone in, some stupid figures getting thrown about, he could be a decent attacking option if available 

Just read that he is not fully fit...couple of teams interested including QPR...

Just now, gccrowdpleaser said:

Would be brilliant  but surely they wouldn't let him go. Not sure he doesn't have dodgy knees either 

He's officially available for loan, you're probably right about the knees though!

Archived