18/19 January Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

15 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

Anya Butterfield Pearce Ollson Thorne must be on fair wages and are unlikely to have any future here .... is there any opportunity to loan with a view to buy in the Jn window ??

Back up keeper and utility defender to replace if these can be shifted out

Ivanovic? ?

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MK-Ram said:

Ivanovic? ?

Good player in his day and would be right up Rowetts' street but totally against FLs' philosophy of having a younger, more energetic squad. Prefer to look at who might be available in the 23-26 year old category and whilst Keogh and Davies fully deserve to be regulars, particularly at Championship level, in 2 years time they will be 34 & 35 respectively and we need to have suitable replacements ready to step in.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't think we need anyone in January personally. Only slight worry is if Kelle is up to it but if Shay Given thinks he is who am I to argue.

Exactly this. It' fun to speculate, but our squad is HUGE. MASSIVE!

Sometimes this season Marriott, Nugent, Josefzoon, Bennett, Holmes and Evans have missed making the squad as we have far too many players.

Others who can't get into the 18 are: Wisdom, Pearce, Ledley (currently injured but he wouldn't if he was fit), Thorne, Anya, Butterfield

Coming back from loans in January are Mitchell and Lowe. Olsson must be getting fitter.

Then Max Bird, Louie Sibley and others are doing really well in the U23s and second in the league. They should be knocking on the door of the first team squad.

The players are in this together - bringing someone in could easily disrupt the fragile balance. I'd want to shift 4 or 5 players out before we think about incomings. In January we'll have:

GK (1/3) Carson Roos Mitchell

RB (1/4) Bogle Wisdom Tomori Anya

LB (1/4) Forsyth Malone Lowe (Olsson)

CH (2/5) Keogh Davies Tomori Pearce Wisdom

CDM (1/5) Huddlestone Johnson Evans Ledley Thorne

ACM (2/8) Mount Wilson Bryson Holmes Johnson Butterfield Bird Sibley

WRF (1/6) Waghorn Wilson Bennett Josefzoon Holmes Anya

WLF (1/6) Lawrence Josefzoon Waghorn Wilson Holmes Anya

CF (1/4) Marriott Nugent Waghorn Bennett

So that's 45 decent options (from 32 players) for the 11 starting places.

A few may move on in January and a few more will sit on their contracts until they expire, if we bring anyone in it will very intresting who and for what position as we have Youngsters returning in January who may be just what we need

one wild card loan cover for Marriott and to sub him what about Sturridge from Liverpool  

14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

A few may move on in January and a few more will sit on their contracts until they expire, if we bring anyone in it will very intresting who and for what position as we have Youngsters returning in January who may be just what we need

one wild card loan cover for Marriott and to sub him what about Sturridge from Liverpool  

I love Jack Marriott, but to suggest Daniel Sturridge would rather warm our bench than Liverpool's is not realistic.

13 hours ago, Sparkle said:

He's been playing and scoring for them thugs season. Think that's a little on the unrealistic side. 

We need to be looking at the kind of strikers that can't get into mid table/lower table Prem teams in the same way Fulham did with Mitrovic last year. 

3 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Various suggestion tweets about going in for Ampadu again. Don't get where he would play, though.

He'd effectively uproot Bradley Johnson's place in the squad, I'd imagine. He'd get plenty of games at CDM, CM and if SARS ever spread in the area, even get a few games at CB. 

Ampadu is a very good player, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him become ever-present in our team. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

He'd effectively uproot Bradley Johnson's place in the squad, I'd imagine. He'd get plenty of games at CDM, CM and if SARS ever spread in the area, even get a few games at CB. 

Ampadu is a very good player, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him become ever-present in our team. 

Not convinced Chelsea would want him to move to warm our bench. Chatting to the Chelsea lot the other night they were very complimentary about him. 

Surely you're arguing he displaces Huddlestone? Which is a tough call because Hudds is our experienced wise old head in midfield, already alongside two youngsters. 

Paul Tisdale talks a lot of sense and was his first manager. He has an interesting take that reflects very badly on his FA and England youth setup if true: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/ethan-ampadu-england-wales-too-few-touches-paul-tisdale-a8532346.html

6 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

He's been playing and scoring for them thugs season. Think that's a little on the unrealistic side. 

We need to be looking at the kind of strikers that can't get into mid table/lower table Prem teams in the same way Fulham did with Mitrovic last year. 

I did say a wild card, but if the lampard factor combined with the way we are playing can’t tempt players then nothing will so let’s set any targets we may have interestingly 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I did say a wild card, but if the lampard factor combined with the way we are playing can’t tempt players then nothing will so let’s set any targets we may have interestingly 

Sturridge?!?!?! C'mon Sparkle.... We've got more chance of signing Mother Teresa.

On 06/11/2018 at 19:00, Carl Sagan said:

GK (1/3) Carson Roos Mitchell

RB (1/4) Bogle Wisdom Tomori Anya

LB (1/4) Forsyth Malone Lowe (Olsson)

CH (2/5) Keogh Davies Tomori Pearce Wisdom

CDM (1/5) Huddlestone Johnson Evans Ledley Thorne

ACM (2/8) Mount Wilson Bryson Holmes Johnson Butterfield Bird Sibley

WRF (1/6) Waghorn Wilson Bennett Josefzoon Holmes Anya

WLF (1/6) Lawrence Josefzoon Waghorn Wilson Holmes Anya

CF (1/4) Marriott Nugent Waghorn Bennett

So that's 45 decent options (from 32 players) for the 11 starting places.

He seems to be building a squad for next season though and I would imagine it'll look a bit more like this realistically (losing loanees and almost everyone out of contract) - So wouldn't be shocked to see permanent moves for a CM and maybe a striker?

Archived