Alternative to cake

Mrs Cone

So today is Josh's 17th birthday.  I ask him what sort of birthday cake he wants.....me being a baker thought he might go for an elaborate chocolate cake or a nicely decorated Victoria sponge!

NO!! He wants a cake made out of mashed potato. Not just mashed potato, it must also have some sort of meat, Yorkshire puddings and gravy!?

Not an easy task but he's very happy with the end result, here's a pic!

So sweet or savoury guys? Have any of you lot had cakes that are a bit different or is he just being awkward? ?

Snapchat-974304675.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mrs Cone said:

He always wants feeding, he's worked out that if he removes the bowl he can escape through the gap lol

Ours is always rattling his pot, and if he doesn't get his toast in the morning, he's grumpy all day.. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Cone said:

So today is Josh's 17th birthday.  I ask him what sort of birthday cake he wants.....me being a baker thought he might go for an elaborate chocolate cake or a nicely decorated Victoria sponge!

NO!! He wants a cake made out of mashed potato. Not just mashed potato, it must also have some sort of meat, Yorkshire puddings and gravy!?

So sweet or savoury guys? Have any of you lot had cakes that are a bit different or is he just being awkward? ?

Snapchat-974304675.jpg

Now that is a work of art!

Forget Banksy. Mrs Cone, you are a genius. A Hollywood handshake is on its way (If you don't watch Bake Off don't worry that's not rude.)

38 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Now that is a work of art!

Forget Banksy. Mrs Cone, you are a genius. A Hollywood handshake is on its way (If you don't watch Bake Off don't worry that's not rude.)

Aww thanks! It tastes pretty good too x

2 hours ago, Mrs Cone said:

Snapchat-974304675.jpg

Absolutely brilliant Mrs Cone, what a fun way to serve a Sunday roast, just need a big tray of roasties.

29 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I prefer sweet to savoury Mrs C but that looks brilliant.  Hope Josh has had a great day.

Question from a non baker - is it served hot or cold/cool? And if hot, how do you keep it hot while you do all the piping and stuff?

Served hot!

Kept the mash in the pan with lid on and hob on really low to keep warm, then worked very quickly coating it.

Popped it in oven on really low to keep warm while I filled piping bag.

Then piped as you would a cake!

Bob's yer uncle!!

Archived