Sam Allardyce "Busquets no better than Dier"

David

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DM is the easiest position in the game to play. Particularly in a side that doesn't have to tackle - e.g. Every team that Busquets has ever played in, so Dier definitely has more to do.

Dier is less mobile, but better in the air. Not convinced he'd be much worse on the ball than Busquets if he played in sides that always had a man available to pass to either. That said, and for all his smarmyness, Busquets has been one of the best at receiving the ball off the centre backs under some pressure and passing to actually talented footballers.

Dier makes more silly errors/shows lack of concentration more.

55 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Still doesn't resolve the is a fit George tThorne better than Eric Dire.

46 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

There is no such thing as a fit George Thorne

I doubt there is a George tThorne either.

Unless RadioactiveWaste has reverted to his native tongue and puts a "t" before everything.

If he does, then my post is in t'bin. 

No wonder Allardyce is out of work...Those two don't have much in common. Dier is just poor as a defensive midfielder whereas Busquets is so disgusting with his theatrics that it hurts my eyes and a change of channel is inevitable.

Personally i think busquets is over-rated.

agree with the statement DM is the easiest position on the pitch, particularly in a team that doesn't need one. 

No idea if Dier is any good. Looks a bit like a soft centre back playing midfield and with no pace. Could be wrong.

Dier is horrific at picking up runners onto his defence. Truly awful. Busquets isn't. I'd love to do a two footed tackle on Busquets at about neck height but he patrols his back line better. And he has a far better touch. 

It's an easy position to look good in. More passing options than any other position and you can hit easy diagonals all day long. 

Dier defends position horribly. He presses when he shouldn't and most his passing while accurate is the easy stuff

He's protected by Spurs imo. Riding on a good team where they benefit from his fairly good passing and don't need the other side of his game. A bit like Spain got away with playing 9 midfielders for a while 

Better than Busquets... He's not better than Fellaini. 

Spurs central defence must keep him on a lead? 

15 hours ago, RamNut said:

Personally i think busquets is over-rated.

agree with the statement DM is the easiest position on the pitch, particularly in a team that doesn't need one. 

No idea if Dier is any good. Looks a bit like a soft centre back playing midfield and with no pace. Could be wrong.

I think you’re understanding the job of the defensive midfielder.

Busquets, for instance, made 7 tackles in the 4-2 win over Tottenham. More than anyone else on the pitch. Rakitic, in contrast, didn’t make any.

He also posted a 100% pass accuracy.

In a team that builds from the back, the holding midfielder is vital in linking the play. He has to pick up the ball off the GK and defenders, and then feed it to Barca’s other midfielders. He also is the guy who drops as the last man as the two CBs move wide. If he loses the ball at any point, the opposition have a clean run on goal. It requires huge amounts of responsibility. 

As for the Dier comparison. That’s absurd and typical of a manager who can’t get his side playing good football. If he can’t recognise what Busquets brings to the team (as Dier offers little) then he’s so far out of touch.

The defensive midfield role is such a niche position. If you're good at it, it looks like the easiest position on the pitch. If you're not good at it, it looks like you're being swamped in midfield at every opportunity. It doesn't matter how good you are at football either, you could have the grace of Messi and the speed and strength of Ronaldo, but it all comes from your positioning and awareness of the game. George Thorne used to be able to do it so well, but it wasn't the second he lost in his legs that's the issue, it's the couple of seconds in his head that has caused him to go backwards. 

All that being said: Busquets makes my skin crawl, but he reads the game as good as anyone in the world in that position. He also has a good amount of ability to go with it. Dier isn't anywhere near that standard. He may get to the same level technically, but I'm sure he'll never get to the same level mentally. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived