Facebook

McRainy

Nothing to work out really with Twitter, it's just a back to basics Facebook in a way. Use the search to find people who you want to follow and all their tweets "statuses" show in chronological order. 

You can like, retweet or reply. Retweets is basically sharing to the people that follow you. Best thing about Twitter is if someone retweets a ton of garbage you can go to their profile and switch off retweets from them.

As it's chronological makes it perfect for following news and what's going in the world.

They are starting to sneak crap in though with likes, random tweets will appear in your timeline because X follows them, which kinda defeats the purpose of retweets. You also have promoted tweets pop up which are basically ads. If you see loads from a company you have no interest in you can mute or even block them so they won't appear anymore.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

he craziest thing that it does though is if you have the location thing on is that it sends your location every 5mins or so to Facebook. I recently found the bit where you can see where you've been and frankly is weird that they have been able to see exactly where I've been basically every minute of the last 2/3 years.

Wtf?! Where do I find that massive invasion of life?

13 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

Quite surprised by that! If you like art, music and writing Twitter is great for keeping tabs on hot topics in the community. You just need to find people that tweet about things that interest you. 

Might give it another go then...

14 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Your one friend is Jeremy Corbyn? That'll knock you down the poshness scale--oops wrong thread

No, my one friend is called Angela, she's a goth and she works in a call centre.

Bit less posh than JC, probably. 

I went through my 'friends' on FB and they fell into five distinct categories:

- Old friends that I have fallen out of touch with, keep promising we will meet up but never, ever do

- Old friends that I did meet up with but won't be doing ever again

- Distant family that I only really keep connected to so they can tell me when my Uncle / Aunt dies

- Work friends that I connected with years ago and now don't want to unfriend them as it will look rude

- Friends I see anyway (smallest group by far) so don't need an update on what they are doing

Of the groups I realised that all of them were either funny updates (Viz) or content that I can get elsewhere (bands) or stuff that I actually don't care about.

On realising this I deactivated my account (about three months ago) and haven't received one single mail or comment asking where I have gone. But I have got back about half an hour a day of my life.

30 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Wtf?! Where do I find that massive invasion of life?

On your phone it's in notifications. You're best turning Location off as a matter of course, though it does have benefit for sat-nav, Uber etc.

If you want to see (Android) go Settings > Google > Google Account > Data & Personalization > Location History > Manage Activity

You can turn off Location History without affecting Location> If you don't want anyone to know anything about where you are then go to

Settings > Connections > Location and turn it off, but remember that all your location based apps (e.g. Waze) will now not work

Don't know for Apple - let it just be said that I am not au fait with their products.

29 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Might give it another go then...

If you do - I'd warn you to stay away from the political stuff. I know that might be easier said than done, but blimey - we think this place got bad, but Twitter is an absolute pit of vipers whenever politics is concerned (and that's politics of ALL wings - let me be clear on that)

Stick to the cultural and you'll be fine. The problem with Twitter is that you're never more than a couple of clicks from someone saying something truly horrendous ?

15 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

If you do - I'd warn you to stay away from the political stuff

I've just reloaded the app, faffed about changing my password, turned all the beeps and notifications off, unfollowed Jeremy Corbyn... now what do I do? I'm just looking at a page of random crap. 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

I've just reloaded the app, faffed about changing my password, turned all the beeps and notifications off, unfollowed Jeremy Corbyn... now what do I do? I'm just looking at a page of random crap. 

I guess you find some stuff you like and click follow. There is a @dcfcfans twitter user for a start. I assume that's David

I despise FB with a vengeance why someone wants to live their life through social media is beyond me .When I go out with friends and they start tagging themselves in and I don't want the world to know where I'm having a meal etc ,they get the" next time your phone goes in your pint warning". 

7 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I guess you find some stuff you like and click follow. There is a @dcfcfans twitter user for a start. I assume that's David

I have two accounts, that's the forum one but yes I'm behind that when it does tweet out.

My personal one is @dayh82

If anyone on here does follow me and I'm not following you back it's because I don't know who you are. I'm not into all this automatically following everyone back, follow for a follow business, really not fussed about numbers.

I will always follow back forum members though if you shout up and let yourselves be known to me

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Righto. Seems like effort though, randomly scouring for something of interest. Get enough dcfcfans on here tbh!

Whilst on the subject, if I write something, who sees it? Is it the whole world, or just people who are following me?

The whole world can see it if they look at your profile or your tweets show in the search. You can protect your tweets though so they are all hidden, you have to accept new followers who will be the only ones able to see your tweets.

2 minutes ago, David said:

The whole world can see it if they look at your profile or your tweets show in the search. You can protect your tweets though so they are all hidden, you have to accept new followers who will be the only ones able to see your tweets.

Thanks. None of this stuff is obvious to me, which is probably why I never got started on it. 

20 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I despise FB with a vengeance why someone wants to live their life through social media is beyond me .When I go out with friends and they start tagging themselves in and I don't want the world to know where I'm having a meal etc ,they get the" next time your phone goes in your pint warning". 

Hehe same here, my social media presence is tiny.  Cancelled my facebook account about 3 months after I opened it getting on for 10 years ago, my twitter account is limited to following Derby County and several online computer games to learn about new patch notes or the server status etc and only my family have my mobile number and 99.9% of its use is for receiving two factor authentication security codes. 

I don't care what anyone else is up to and don't feel the need to tell the world what I'm doing - I find it all very superfluous.  I do like a good forum though, anyone know any ?

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Thanks. None of this stuff is obvious to me, which is probably why I never got started on it. 

It's in the settings app if you want to switch it on, bare in mind though anyone you reply to unless they are following you, they won't see what you've said to them.

Oh and nobody will be able to retweet (share) your tweets, even your followers. 

Best way to use Twitter though is leave it open and just don't put anything out there that you're not bothered the world can see. Bit like this forum.

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Start searching for artists, musicians and writers you like. If you can't find them google their name + twitter (sometimes they have random @handles so they might not be easy to track down) Once you've followed a few, Twitter will start recommended you similar people that might be of interest. You can also look at the people they follow to see if anyone piques your interest. 

@Lambchopyou can also search hash tags eg #dcfcfans and then find people that are using that hash tag and have similar interests to you. It's good for finding info so if you like a certain band you can follow them but if you search a hash tag on them then you may find some interesting groups posting stuff about them. 

Archived