Nations League - Spain v England

Van der MoodHoover

19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I couldn’t watch the game, I was working. Probably wouldn’t have watched it anyway. A Spain side largely featuring squad players against an England side painfully low on technical quality in a meaningless game. 

Roll on club football. Proper football.

With your PhD in being full of yourself, you’d have been all over this thread like a rash if it had been 3 or 4 nil to Spain. Except this time you ‘couldn’t watch it’. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

That’s my understanding, don’t mean I’m right though ?

Those who say we were lucky though, Spain have not lost in 38 games, and have never conceded 3 before at home in a competitive game before. 

Ermmmm Spain 2 Scotland 6 in 1963. Think Spain were concentrating on their bullfighting instead!

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/the-night-scotland-hit-spain-for-six-in-madrid-1-2964800

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Excellent performance by England, won the game on the first half  that allowed them to manage the win in the second half. VAR would have given us a penalty at 3-0 as well.

Yep. The game was won at half time. Just like the semi final should have been. Clinical. Great performance. Sterling particularly great. 

Excellent win for England. Proud of the boys.

People will try to downplay it and suggest Spain are yesterday’s men, a team in transition, and were missing 3-4 key players.

But this Spanish team were mightily experienced and in rampant form. De Gea, Ramos, Alonso, Busquets, Saul, Thiago and Asensio all play for top clubs in top leagues and have won major honours. So it’s not like we beat Spain’s under 18s.

For me, you just have to give England full credit. We have been threatening that kind of performance and high profile win for a while. This is what can be achieved when we play with intent and take our chances.

But it counts for very little if we don’t go on and beat Croatia in the final group game.

Such performances shouldn’t be a one off but sadly probably will be.

Didn’t we have a really young side out? Like average age 23 or something?

really hope we can continue to bring youth through to the senior team who have risen through the England system. I’d like to think in 3 or 4 years we’ll be able to go toe to toe with these sorts of sides and not have to play by surrendering 75% possession and going just on the counter.

hopefully...?

51 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Didn’t we have a really young side out? Like average age 23 or something?

really hope we can continue to bring youth through to the senior team who have risen through the England system. I’d like to think in 3 or 4 years we’ll be able to go toe to toe with these sorts of sides and not have to play by surrendering 75% possession and going just on the counter.

hopefully...?

I couldn't care less how much possession or what tactics we use at international level, we are talking about maybe 10 or 12 games a year, I just want to see us winning games.

Personally I find very little more boring than 70 minutes of Cahill and Jones passing the ball to each other.

We've got a young team blessed with pace, why not play to that strength and concentrate on making sure our defence is hard to break down.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

What makes you think I’m full of myself?

To be fair I don’t think your full of yourself, I think you do post thinking you are right, unfortunately your football knowledge is lacking somewhat.

Have you ever thought about trying the sport in some capacity, it might help you in some way? Alternatively, you could always become a Forest fan, you have already said you wouldn’t begrudge them finishing above us and you’d look a football expert on their forums, presuming you can count past 10?

Just food for thought ?

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I couldn't care less how much possession or what tactics we use at international level, we are talking about maybe 10 or 12 games a year, I just want to see us winning games.

Personally I find very little more boring than 70 minutes of Cahill and Jones passing the ball to each other.

We've got a young team blessed with pace, why not play to that strength and concentrate on making sure our defence is hard to break down.

Very true, just to highlight that in the home meeting we had 45% possession, and lost. After going 3 down, Spain were always going to dominate the second half, quoting stats for last night game is bizarre as they were irrelevant.

Well I really enjoyed last night, a competitive game with a good atmosphere is exactly what this Nations League should be and there’s maybe a lesson for the FA there about taking internationals into other stadiums. It was a good experience for all involved.

Shame Mount didn’t get on, I wasn’t expecting it and it’s a great experience for him either way, but I would have personally have loved to see him playing in the Eng u21’s and get some actual game time. That or I do wonder whether there’s a legitimate argument for an England ‘B’ team now where the players on the fringe, or players in form, get a mid week friendly where they have a chance to force themselves into contention. I know it hasn’t worked in the past, but maybe this might have worked for a player like Mount.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you don't have the ball at all you are going to create very little and rely on an occasional result where everything you touch goes in. And it doesn't work as well against teams that don't want to attack you.

If you pack our players on the edge of our area and hope to keep the opposition out its very difficult to do that consistently over 90 mins and we didn't manage to do that last night.

Both are high risk strategies that might get you the odd win but are very unlikely to give sustained success.

Neither is having the likes of Cahill and Jones slowly rolling the ball to each other.

Play with pace - but play up the park, mixing up the long and the short stuff. Keep the opposition guessing - whoever they are. THAT'S the sort of England I'd love to see, keeping other, good sides on the back foot (not strolling around passing between our back 4) and getting good results consistently.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

They don’t have to be mutually exclusive. The first goal came from us keeping the ball for 50 seconds or so; probing, recycling, inviting the opposition press and instigating a counter-attack through our own possession.

LMFAO - slagged off Southgate's selection and look what happened! ? This is why I'm not a football manager, or at least one of the myriad of reasons. Bravo England. Now if we could just find some consistency of performance the country would really have something to get excited about. A fabulous attacking performance and a night to remember. Which idiot said this tournament doesn't matter ?

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

If you don't have the ball at all you are going to create very little and rely on an occasional result where everything you touch goes in. And it doesn't work as well against teams that don't want to attack you.

If you pack our players on the edge of our area and hope to keep the opposition out its very difficult to do that consistently over 90 mins and we didn't manage to do that last night.

Both are high risk strategies that might get you the odd win but are very unlikely to give sustained success.

Neither is having the likes of Cahill and Jones slowly rolling the ball to each other.

Play with pace - but play up the park, mixing up the long and the short stuff. Keep the opposition guessing - whoever they are. THAT'S the sort of England I'd love to see, keeping other, good sides on the back foot (not strolling around passing between our back 4) and getting good results consistently.

It won Leicester the Premier League title but I do understand your point.

The game was ok in parts but it is still a meaningless competition, the real stuff we stand no chance in until English players get to play for top Prem clubs regularly.

Every time a crunching tackle went in I winced on behalf of all those club managers who may have their season ruined by injuries caused in a meaningless international.

It won Leicester the Premier League title but I do understand your point.

Indeed - but i think that is why Leicester's win is being talked about as a "one-off"........they happened on a system and executed it brilliantly, but at a particularly fortuitous time when all the so-called "heavyweights" were in transition.

They've tried to keep with the system, but it hasn't yielded sustained success. That was all i was trying to get across really.?

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

The game was ok in parts but it is still a meaningless competition, the real stuff we stand no chance in until English players get to play for top Prem clubs regularly.

Every time a crunching tackle went in I winced on behalf of all those club managers who may have their season ruined by injuries caused in a meaningless international.

The Spaniards didn't appear to be treating it as a meaningless competition.

The Spaniards didn't appear to be treating it as a meaningless competition.

That's the issue, the players take it seriously and put the effort in, get injured , and for what? The possibility  (outside) to win the Nations Cup. Who is going to remember that! Their clubs won't be impressed.

Inter Toto anyone!

Archived