Should Davies start against Sheffield United

Curtains

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, 86 points said:

Nothing to do with Wembley. It's because we spent £30 mill under Clement and didn't get promoted. Stop making **** up ffs.

Let's be fair now @86 points After winning the FA cup in '46 we haven't gone on to replicating that success.

Yes we had minor success in the early 70's, but selling all our top players recently, really stems back to post 46.

?

15 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Unless I cant read we have exactly the same record, points goals for and against as this time last season?

Wonder if Mr Curtains thought Garys team was broken then?

To be fair he was.

Dont remember if it was the Bristol City or Sheff Utd match but he started turning on Rowett about then, and then got back behind him when we started winning games.

Basically the guy is fickle. Changes his stance more than I change my pants.

I think most long term posters are wise to his posting style now - say something that goes against popular opinion and then when challenged on it (with actual facts) just throws something completely irrelevant into the mix or moans that you are picking on him.

Dont think he is a wum as seems very knowledgeable about our history but he definitely has some attention issues.

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair he was.

Dont remember if it was the Bristol City or Sheff Utd match but he started turning on Rowett about then, and then got back behind him when we started winning games.

Basically the guy is fickle. Changes his stance more than I change my pants.

I think most long term posters are wise to his posting style now - say something that goes against popular opinion and then when challenged on it (with actual facts) just throws something completely irrelevant into the mix or moans that you are picking on him.

Dont think he is a wum as seems very knowledgeable about our history but he definitely has some attention issues.

Both really. Sheff U was a bit odd and IMO we were unlucky but it was an awful result.  We were destroyed by Bristol and looked like relegation candidates.  That game in particular affected the rest of the season.  Keo was turned inside out and looked very vulnerable.  Rowett stumbled a cross a solution that by providing cover for him we suddenly became nigh on impossible to beat.  Then Vyds started to score for fun and hey presto we shot up the league.  It then became impossible to change the set up to improve performances because the results were so good.  Just after xmas the magic solution started to look like a bag full of beans and we know the rest.  I do wonder whether if the results hadn't of improved Rowett would have been forced into a consolidation year and he would still be with us.  So thank god that it didn't because I think we have a better prospect as a manager now

Reading through this thread is why having prolonged breaks from a forum can be a good thing. Davies has gone from being criminally underrated when he first came in, to now being criminally overrated from the same sets of fans.

Davies is fine but I see no reason why people think he should walk back or we look to change formations to accommodate him. As others have alluded to, I wish we were talking about why we aren’t creating chances and how to break teams down as they seems a much better priority.

5-4-1 or 5-3-2 with wing backs could work. Malone and Bogle are more comfortable going forward. It's about who you would sacrifice further up the field.

Carson

Bogle Davies tomori Keogh Malone

Johnson

Mount Bryson Lawrence

Marriott

23 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Reading through this thread is why having prolonged breaks from a forum can be a good thing. Davies has gone from being criminally underrated when he first came in, to now being criminally overrated from the same sets of fans.

Davies is fine but I see no reason why people think he should walk back or we look to change formations to accommodate him. As others have alluded to, I wish we were talking about why we aren’t creating chances and how to break teams down as they seems a much better priority.

He’s the best defender I can remember us having. He’s like a combination of Barker and Shackell’s best bits. 

No doubt he’ll go someway to strengthening us aerially but does that necessarily mean he’ll fit into a high-line that tries to play out from the back.  Is he quick enough to recover? Is he good enough on the ball. 

He may well come into the side and create as many problems as he solves. 

For me yes, but I’d also play Keogh and Tomori as well and have them as our centre backs in a 3-5-2 formation with Bogle and Forsyth/Malone as wing backs. Tomori’s speed to combat Keogh and Davies’ lack of pace. We need more height in the team as we are too vulnerable from set pieces.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Doesn't the fact that Tomori and Keogh having been away on International Duty leading to no time trying out a 3-5-2 formation in training this fortnight mean there is virtually NO chance of this happening on Saturday?

Oh don’t speak such utter sense! 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Doesn't the fact that Tomori and Keogh having been away on International Duty leading to no time trying out a 3-5-2 formation in training this fortnight mean there is virtually NO chance of this happening on Saturday?

Maybe, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we’ve been working on 3-5-2 too in training since pre season. Jody Morris is a big fan of the formation and used it when he was manager of the Chelsea youth team. Tomori, Davies and Keogh have all played in 3 at the back formations(Keogh as recent as yesterday for Ireland). We also switched to a 3-4-3 last season under Rowett out of nowhere after a poor run of form and it saw us improve in our form up until the second game of the play offs against Fulham. Our wingers haven’t been performing so far for me.

38 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

It’s a tough one...who do you play...? The best center half we have at the club or stuck with the worst..?

What’s Davies really done to be considered the best? Or are we overhyping one to knock another which oh so seems the way in here?

I might be missing the point here but here's my radical thinking. 

Curtis Davies is a seasoned centre half who played for England and is good in the air.

We currently don't have a defender who is good in the air. This is a bit of a risk.

Why would we not pick him when fit?

To add to the argument, centre defence is all about the partnership. Keogh and Tomori is not a partnership. it is two players who play next to each other.

Finally, Davies is a leader and an organiser.  We are a bit chaotic and reactive at present.

I think Tomori will find somewhere else to play in the side. Probably at right back.

Bogle has done well but is still young and think his last couple of games have not been quite as good so maybe taking him out for a couple of games might be what he needs so Temori switched to RB would be my choice but would defintely not be popular with Wisdom i should imagine.

Temori's pace puts him in a bracket on his own when you talk about Davies,Temori and Keogh and his pace has saved us a few times the Lukaku chance where he came from nowhere was a prime example

Archived