England v Croatia

G STAR RAM

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Fabregas, Pogba, Lukaku, Bellerin, Begovic, Coquelin, Krul, Hendrick, Moses, Schlupp, Van Aanholt, Zaha, Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Mooy, Hamer, Schmeichel, Olsson, Bachmann, Ake, Josh King, etc...

Plenty more if you look https://www.premierleague.com/news/844127

I wouldn’t count the likes of Zaha, Moses, Ake and the Irish lads as foreign. Most of those have been in English academies since they were kids.

I believe even a few of the foreigners can even qualify to play for England. I’m sure I read that Bellerin was an option, an even Arteta before he retired.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wouldn’t count the likes of Zaha, Moses, Ake and the Irish lads as foreign. Most of those have been in English academies since they were kids.

I believe even a few of the foreigners can even qualify to play for England. I’m sure I read that Bellerin was an option, an even Arteta before he retired.

With the greatest respect, it matters not a jot what you count as foreign. It is that very argument - that they've been in English academies - that makes the whole 'homegrown' thing utterly meaningless.

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

With the greatest respect, it matters not a jot what you count as foreign. It is that very argument - that they've been in English academies - that makes the whole 'homegrown' thing utterly meaningless.

The curent rules, having to be at an academy for at least 3 years prior to turning 21 to be seen as homegrown, makes sense. Though with the way football is going, and you see foreigners coming over at 16/17, the idea to change the rule to 3 years prior to turning 18 is better.

But going back to my original point. Teams evidently feel obliged to field English players, or they have homegrown players, to fill quotas. In my opinion that’s the only reason half the England squad is playing for top 4 clubs. If they weren’t homegrown players, I feel they’d instead be playing for the likes of West Ham or Everton.

I wonder whether Lee Grant would have really been signed by Man Utd had he not filled the quota, for instance.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The curent rules, having to be at an academy for at least 3 years prior to turning 21 to be seen as homegrown, makes sense. Though with the way football is going, and you see foreigners coming over at 16/17, the idea to change the rule to 3 years prior to turning 18 is better.

But going back to my original point. Teams evidently feel obliged to field English players, or they have homegrown players, to fill quotas. In my opinion that’s the only reason half the England squad is playing for top 4 clubs. If they weren’t homegrown players, I feel they’d instead be playing for the likes of West Ham or Everton.

I wonder whether Lee Grant would have really been signed by Man Utd had he not filled the quota, for instance.

Man Utd have more than the minimum. They didn't need Grant to make up the numbers. 

I reckon West Ham wouldn't be able to believe their luck if they had Kane, Alli, Trippier, Sterling et al playing for them.

We are all familiar with your opinions on English players. God knows you voice them often enough but the fact remains that managers of Premier League clubs do not have to play English players. And they don't do it if it makes the team weaker.

I think something of a shock is coming to English football and all those non-UK players that are currently employed by English clubs. By the start of next season we'll have been out of the EU for 4 months. It isn't going to be anywhere near as easy to get a contract and I reckon that sooner or later (probably the former), it's going to be all but impossible for clubs to sign under-18s from abroad (except Ireland). 'Homegrown' is going to mean just that.

20 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Man Utd have more than the minimum. They didn't need Grant to make up the numbers. 

I reckon West Ham wouldn't be able to believe their luck if they had Kane, Alli, Trippier, Sterling et al playing for them.

We are all familiar with your opinions on English players. God knows you voice them often enough but the fact remains that managers of Premier League clubs do not have to play English players. And they don't do it if it makes the team weaker.

I think something of a shock is coming to English football and all those non-UK players that are currently employed by English clubs. By the start of next season we'll have been out of the EU for 4 months. It isn't going to be anywhere near as easy to get a contract and I reckon that sooner or later (probably the former), it's going to be all but impossible for clubs to sign under-18s from abroad (except Ireland). 'Homegrown' is going to mean just that.

Football is powerful, has a massive profile, and has money, so I see no change ahead.

Fruit pickers and warehouse workers aren't so lucky.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Football is powerful, has a massive profile, and has money, so I see no change ahead.

Fruit pickers and warehouse workers aren't so lucky.

Profile certainly. However, in the great scheme of things, football is neither powerful nor has money. The latest deal drew £4.4 billion (down 13% on the previous deal). For context, Toyota's profit for 2017 was £12 billion; there are £16 billion worth of £50 notes currently in circulation (and I haven't seen one of them for months). Football is pretty small beer. The FA is even having to sell Wembley.

In a post Brexit UK, football is going to have to make it's case to be an exception the same as, for example, the NHS is having to do (and the NHS is not having a great deal of luck despite the fact that we actually need doctors). It should be complacent about its chances.

14 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Profile certainly. However, in the great scheme of things, football is neither powerful nor has money. The latest deal drew £4.4 billion (down 13% on the previous deal). For context, Toyota's profit for 2017 was £12 billion; there are £16 billion worth of £50 notes currently in circulation (and I haven't seen one of them for months). Football is pretty small beer. The FA is even having to sell Wembley.

In a post Brexit UK, football is going to have to make it's case to be an exception the same as, for example, the NHS is having to do (and the NHS is not having a great deal of luck despite the fact that we actually need doctors). It should be complacent about its chances.

It can afford the PR needed to keep it centre stage, though, and unlike the NHS has the popular press behind its foreign imports.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's how it is.

Hard Brexit or good deal, footballers will still find it easier to relocate to the UK than virtually any other profession.

18 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It can afford the PR needed to keep it centre stage, though, and unlike the NHS has the popular press behind its foreign imports.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's how it is.

Hard Brexit or good deal, footballers will still find it easier to relocate to the UK than virtually any other profession.

You may be right but it ain't going to be anywhere near as easy as it has been. Farming kids from across Europe will be a thing of the past. Uncapped players from Europe are about to be subject to work permit applications.

It will be interesting to see how football cuts it against the Home Office.

Its a shame for the fans who want to travel and see the game but cant.

Zagreb is a great, friendly city to spend a few days in and the Uzjusko is decent. 

Rijeka with a full house and Ultras walking about might be a problem. 

The Croats are a proud nation and like a beer and a chinwag about UK football. 

There's also a nudist beach in the middle of the Zagreb........(or so I've been told)...... 

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I remeber the Arteta thing - would've been great but I'm sure he was never actually eligible having played for Spain u21's or summat. England could really do with an Arteta now. 

Archived