England v Croatia

G STAR RAM

43 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not as over-rated as Henderson.

Problem with these young new players, look good in training videos and YouTube clips all the half fans from the big teams that only watch the clips think they are world beaters 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Wait... how come it says on the BBC line ups page that we only made one sub? Surely this is a mistake? Or does Gareth think this is actually a competition?

Was so much guff in the build up "exciting young players,  trust in youth,  look forward to the future " etc

In the end he was pretty craven , all the tried and failed's were trotted out and guess what?

They tried and failed.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Was so much guff in the build up "exciting young players,  trust in youth,  look forward to the future " etc

In the end he was pretty craven , all the tried and failed's were trotted out and guess what?

They tried and failed.

After the brief world cup love in (which I was never really on board with), I'm 100% back on the "Southgate Out" train. His new contract is a joke.

How many of the England players would you say are in the top three best players at their respective club?

Harry Kane, Harry Maguire and Jordan Pickford? The latter two being at midtable sides...

You look across the board and teams like Spain, France, Belgium, Germany and Brazil have several players who are actually among the best players at their clubs.

I always feel with England it’s just an XI made up of water-carriers. Players who have very little influence at their clubs and are only there to make up the English quota.

If players like Sterling, Dier, Henderson, Rashford, Lingaard, Barkley, Maguire and even Kyle Walker were Australian they wouldn’t be playing at or wanted by top four clubs.

The only players I genuinely see as decent enough are Kane and Stones.

I’m not saying you need a team full of world class players to win the world cup. But you need at least five or six to make up for the rest. England have nowhere near that amount.

The BBC gossip page said Real Madrid want Sterling to replace Ronaldo - let that sink in...

I can't see why we put all these creative players in the squad and then play our two least creative in the form of Dier and Henderson.

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

How many of the England players would you say are in the top three best players at their respective club?

Harry Kane, Harry Maguire and Jordan Pickford? The latter two being at midtable sides...

You look across the board and teams like Spain, France, Belgium, Germany and Brazil have several players who are actually among the best players at their clubs.

I always feel with England it’s just an XI made up of water-carriers. Players who have very little influence at their clubs and are only there to make up the English quota.

If players like Sterling, Dier, Henderson, Rashford, Lingaard, Barkley, Maguire and even Kyle Walker were Australian they wouldn’t be playing at or wanted by top four clubs.

I’m not saying you need a team full of world class players to win the world cup. But you need at least five or six to make up for the rest. England have nowhere near that amount.

And there's not another world cup for 4 years. That's a long time.

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Kyle Walker? Really?

34 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Kyle Walker? Really?

If Kyle Walker wasn't English, let's say he was Australian, then City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. would be pitting him against every other RB in the world. He'd count as a foreigner, so the only reason to have him would be to consider him among the best in the world (or say top 10 at least) in the world. If not, why would they have him?

Do you think Kyle Walker is among the best 10 right-backs in the world? I'm not so sure.

Same applies for the others. They just fill the English quota. Henderson is one of the best English midfielders out there, hence Liverpool have him in their squad. But he's not even top 50 in the world, so if he was from New Zealand, why in the hell would Liverpool want him? He'd probably be at an Everton or West Ham.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

If Kyle Walker wasn't English, let's say he was Australian, then City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. would be pitting him against every other RB in the world. He'd count as a foreigner, so the only reason to have him would be to consider him among the best in the world (or say top 10 at least) in the world. If not, why would they have him?

Do you think Kyle Walker is among the best 10 right-backs in the world? I'm not so sure.

Same applies for the others. They just fill the English quota. Henderson is one of the best English midfielders out there, hence Liverpool have him in their squad. But he's not even top 50 in the world, so if he was from New Zealand, why in the hell would Liverpool want him? He'd probably be at an Everton or West Ham.

And what English quota is that? Because (un)fortunately our rule makers haven't yet decided to impose one.

41 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That is not an 'English' quota. You need to check the Premier League's definition of 'homegrown'.

Just seen. I can't imagine there are that many foreign 'homegrown' players, but that's a rule which needs changing now that clubs are signing up foreigners as early teenagers and putting them in their academies.

I stand by my point though. Several players on the England squad are only signed by the Premier League's leading clubs in a way to fill the quota. I don't see many who are there simply on merit.

I'm sure the clubs feel obliged also to field English players and that helps. I can't think of any other reason why Pep Guardiola for instance would persist with Raheem Sterling. Not that he's a bad player, just technically he's nowhere near world class standard.

If he wasn't English, or homegrown, surely he would have been bombed out long ago. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just seen. I can't imagine there are that many foreign 'homegrown' players, but that's a rule which needs changing now that clubs are signing up foreigners as early teenagers and putting them in their academies.

I stand by my point though. Several players on the England squad are only signed by the Premier League's leading clubs in a way to fill the quota. I don't see many who are there simply on merit.

I'm sure the clubs feel obliged also to field English players and that helps. I can't think of any other reason why Pep Guardiola for instance would persist with Raheem Sterling. Not that he's a bad player, just technically he's nowhere near world class standard.

If he wasn't English, or homegrown, surely he would have been bombed out long ago. 

I don't believe that's the case. Man City could have dumped him ages ago if they wanted (assuming anyone could afford him, which is always going to be a problem for a club like Man city). Man City have filled out their 'homegrown' quota with a third-choice keeper and 2 or 3 players from the under-23s who are unlikely to get many games between them. There would be nothing to stop them from forking out for a non-homegrown player (just like they have with Mahrez, Sane, Jesus in recent seasons) and moving Sterling aside. However, he's still getting a game. Guardiola doesn't seem the sentimental type to me.

As for foreign homegrown players, there are quite a few, even if you ignore the Irish ones like Jeff Hendrick or Shane Long. Many of them are significant  members of their squads. Hector Bellerin is 'homegrown', as is Fabregas, Moses, Iwobi, Lukaku, Pogba, Schneiderlin and more.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Fabregas, Pogba, Lukaku, Bellerin, Begovic, Coquelin, Krul, Hendrick, Moses, Schlupp, Van Aanholt, Zaha, Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Mooy, Hamer, Schmeichel, Olsson, Bachmann, Ake, Josh King, etc...

Plenty more if you look https://www.premierleague.com/news/844127

Archived