Smart home advice.

Rev

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

You turn the lights on with a switch and leave it on. The battery operated sensor then sends a signal to the bulb to be on or off accordingly. Even though the switch is left on, the light turns off and consumes no power until it's next needed.

Obviously if you've got a 5 bulb light, you'd need 5 smart bulbs fitted for it to work correctly.

Oh god, the previous owners of our house replaced the single light fitting with no less than 9 down lighters in each room. This could get expensive. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Oh god, the previous owners of our house replaced the single light fitting with no less than 9 down lighters in each room. This could get expensive. 

Not if you get an in-line receiver connected after the switch but before the first spot ??

55 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Not if you get an in-line receiver connected after the switch but before the first spot ??

I didn't even know such a thing existed, thanks! 

I had the same concern, thinking it would cost a fortune to change every bulb. 

I've just seen you can buy smart switches that simply replace the existing ones too, possibly even easier?

54 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've just seen you can buy smart switches that simply replace the existing ones too, possibly even easier?

Then there’s smart blinds. Our blinds are always closed when they should be open, or open when they should be closed. Cos again, I can’t be arsed to go into the living room and open the blinds if I’m not actually going to use that room all day until the evening. But then it looks crap that all the blinds in our house appear to be closed all time. 

Probabky lower on the priority list, but definitely something I’d like to look into when I feel it’s time to get some new blinds. 

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Even a Newark like you could fit it.

??

• 2 weeks later...

So far it's far from plain sailing with the smart home tech.

First Argos sent me a 2nd hand system which had obviously been returned, after setting it all up I could see why in that the contact sensor was broken, obviously found this out once I'd been and sourced a replacement battery!

They agreed to pick it up that evening, but then refunded the money against a different sensor that did work, so I packed it into the wrong box and sent it back regardless.

Not having bought an alarm siren yet, I set all the household Sonos speakers to play at 100% volume in case of a break in, only to be greeted by 'Love me do' at full blast as I walked through the doors, without even triggering the sensors, god knows how long that had been blasting out, and to top it all every so often the speakers blast out the sound of a pack of barking dogs, which pissed the missus off while watching Emmerdale!

I should've searched dumb home set up, not smart home!

30 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

So far it's far from plain sailing with the smart home tech.

First Argos sent me a 2nd hand system which had obviously been returned, after setting it all up I could see why in that the contact sensor was broken, obviously found this out once I'd been and sourced a replacement battery!

They agreed to pick it up that evening, but then refunded the money against a different sensor that did work, so I packed it into the wrong box and sent it back regardless.

Not having bought an alarm siren yet, I set all the household Sonos speakers to play at 100% volume in case of a break in, only to be greeted by 'Love me do' at full blast as I walked through the doors, without even triggering the sensors, god knows how long that had been blasting out, and to top it all every so often the speakers blast out the sound of a pack of barking dogs, which pissed the missus off while watching Emmerdale!

I should've searched dumb home set up, not smart home!

Can you change the song?

Archived