World Mental Health Day

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots on Radio Derby and on my twitter feed. Launch of a new Public Health England website Every Mind Matters (Google it). Derby County Community Trust do an awful lot of work to improve people's mental health all year round and not just on one day a year - they are excellent. 

I would add a bit about the new budgetless Suicide Prevention Minister announcement but we aren't allowed to talk politics.

Our organisation is currently sourcing resilience training for all the people who are at risk of losing their jobs as a consequence of local CCG funding cuts.

Forgive me if I'm a little less enthused with World Mental Health Day this year than usually.

I think that World Mental Health Day is a good idea on a personal level - as it reminds us all to connect with each other and be mindful of other's situations, and also if you're the one suffering it might be the nudge you need to do something positive about it

However - on a corporate level it can be horribly counter-productive. Company HR departments get on the bandwagon and try to be all touchy-feely about it but I just had a conversation with a mate who doesn't work at the same place as me and we have the same experience. Patronising messages from HR about how important it is for us to look after our mental health - whilst simultaneously making the company such a miserable place to work (through constant job-cuts, erosion of benefits, unrealistic expectations for unpaid overtime, pay freeze, recruitment freeze, annual bonus pot cancelled, constant disregard for work-life balance etc etc). Makes me sick, He's actually on a written warning for his attendance record. His illness? Depression....

I’ve recently been through therapy for depression and anxiety. My first question to the therapist was ‘how do you know I’m depressed, and not just a bit of a grumpy dick?’

I saw lots of posts on Facebook yesterday, things like ‘people with anxiety are not rude, people with dression are not lazy.’

I just get a bit worried that with all the extra awareness about mental health (which is a great thing, by the way, and I’m cerrainlh not knocking it), are people becoming more inclined to put their bad personality traits down to a mental health issue.

yesterday i was sat procrastinating as normal, and thinking, am I being lazy because it’s inherently in my nature to be lazy, or am I being lazy because I’m still a bit depressed? And I didn’t really know the answer. 

I hate the idea of being an inherently lazy person, and I’ll never really get anything done or achieve much, vos I’m not a go getter, workaholic like an Elon Musk. It was almost comforting to use depression as an excuse. But is it just an excuse?

i finished my therapy now, so I can’t ask my therapist. 

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

I think that World Mental Health Day is a good idea on a personal level - as it reminds us all to connect with each other and be mindful of other's situations, and also if you're the one suffering it might be the nudge you need to do something positive about it

However - on a corporate level it can be horribly counter-productive. Company HR departments get on the bandwagon and try to be all touchy-feely about it but I just had a conversation with a mate who doesn't work at the same place as me and we have the same experience. Patronising messages from HR about how important it is for us to look after our mental health - whilst simultaneously making the company such a miserable place to work (through constant job-cuts, erosion of benefits, unrealistic expectations for unpaid overtime, pay freeze, recruitment freeze, annual bonus pot cancelled, constant disregard for work-life balance etc etc). Makes me sick, He's actually on a written warning for his attendance record. His illness? Depression....

I totally agree. And ironically, the NHS is possibly the worst employer there is in this regard.

34 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’ve recently been through therapy for depression and anxiety. My first question to the therapist was ‘how do you know I’m depressed, and not just a bit of a grumpy dick?’

I saw lots of posts on Facebook yesterday, things like ‘people with anxiety are not rude, people with dression are not lazy.’

I just get a bit worried that with all the extra awareness about mental health (which is a great thing, by the way, and I’m cerrainlh not knocking it), are people becoming more inclined to put their bad personality traits down to a mental health issue.

yesterday i was sat procrastinating as normal, and thinking, am I being lazy because it’s inherently in my nature to be lazy, or am I being lazy because I’m still a bit depressed? And I didn’t really know the answer. 

I hate the idea of being an inherently lazy person, and I’ll never really get anything done or achieve much, vos I’m not a go getter, workaholic like an Elon Musk. It was almost comforting to use depression as an excuse. But is it just an excuse?

There IS a real difference, Tedd, and it is unlikely that you were allowed to complete a course of therapy if the therapist hadn't assessed that there was a need that they thought they could address.

However, if you don't feel that you've made enough progress then go back to your GP and ask for a further referral.

And don't beat yourself up about not being Elon Musk - most people aren't - that's OK.

39 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m cerrainlh not knocking it

Bottoms up!

In response to your comment about laziness, I would imagine that your therapist would say something about trusting yourself more, and being aware of where the critical voice is coming from.

If you hate the idea of being lazy, then you're not likely to be someone who just gives into laziness. If you are feeling reluctant to do something, there are probably good reasons for that. Trust your own judgment. 

Yesterday gave me an opportunity to reflect on where i am with my Mental Health.

Without realising it, in recent months i have come a hell of a long way. My periods of anxiety seem to have cut down considerably.

My main anxieties these days are with money and bills, but where i would usually try and ignore it, i have actually done something about it by cutting bills, refinancing a loan, cutting shopping costs, moving payment dates etc. I think i'm at a point where i can feel a bit more comfortable as well as not having to worry too much about Christmas.

I don't worry every single day anymore about whether i'm good enough, my employment, social anxieties etc.. 

I honestly think exercise and diet is the key. Lots of water, green tea, breakfast smoothies, fruit, running and bodyweight exercises. Not wanting to buy things to make me happy.

I actually feel in control and ready to push on. Most importantly i want to help others who feel stuck.

My no means am i out of the woods though. I've been stung way too many times to be that naive.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Lots on Radio Derby and on my twitter feed. Launch of a new Public Health England website Every Mind Matters (Google it). Derby County Community Trust do an awful lot of work to improve people's mental health all year round and not just on one day a year - they are excellent. 

I would add a bit about the new budgetless Suicide Prevention Minister announcement but we aren't allowed to talk politics.

Our organisation is currently sourcing resilience training for all the people who are at risk of losing their jobs as a consequence of local CCG funding cuts.

Forgive me if I'm a little less enthused with World Mental Health Day this year than usually.

I know what you mean,you have to stay positive about the system and provision even it it proves difficult at times.

Just be honest about what the system does and can afford to do.

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Three words that apply to me that you chose well.

Dick,grumpy and procrastination.

I’m stressed but not depressed at all...if that helps?

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Yesterday gave me an opportunity to reflect on where i am with my Mental Health.

Without realising it, in recent months i have come a hell of a long way. My periods of anxiety seem to have cut down considerably.

My main anxieties these days are with money and bills, but where i would usually try and ignore it, i have actually done something about it by cutting bills, refinancing a loan, cutting shopping costs, moving payment dates etc. I think i'm at a point where i can feel a bit more comfortable as well as not having to worry too much about Christmas.

I don't worry every single day anymore about whether i'm good enough, my employment, social anxieties etc.. 

I honestly think exercise and diet is the key. Lots of water, green tea, breakfast smoothies, fruit, running and bodyweight exercises. Not wanting to buy things to make me happy.

I actually feel in control and ready to push on. Most importantly i want to help others who feel stuck.

My no means am i out of the woods though. I've been stung way too many times to be that naive.

That is great to read your positive steps, particularly your comment about exercise helping. The Royal College of General Practioners are really going for this by inviting GP surgeries to refer suitable cases to signing up with parkrun instead of medication. 

Archived