TVs

Ghost of Clough

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok thinking about replacing the tv. presently have a Panasonic Viera plasma 46 inch which 8 -9 years ago was considered high quality costing 2k mark.

Looking around LG seem to be market leaders.  4k the latest technology vrs  Oled.

Looking to spend £1500 - 2k ,55 inch max, used only for viewing tv and films, have Sonos so audio not so important as picture quality. 

Any suggestions on particularly makes models I should consider and why would be appreciated.

On 21/10/2018 at 21:35, ram1964 said:

What make is It ? panasonic or LG seem to be the most prevelant at the moment.

LG make the panels for all OLED TVs. So you’re paying extra with Sony or Panasonic for processing stuff you’ll no doubt turn off for purer picture and the brand. 

21 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

My youngest tv broke(dropped by the builder)last week.

So he had a hand me down(his choice)and I got a budget LG 75 to replace my Hisense 65 and I have to say I’m impressed with the 4K picture for the price.

O40oFB5.jpg

Is Nicholas Cage the only light source in your house?

24 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

My youngest tv broke(dropped by the builder)last week.

So he had a hand me down(his choice)and I got a budget LG 75 to replace my Hisense 65 and I have to say I’m impressed with the 4K picture for the price.

O40oFB5.jpg

Define budget, when talking about a 75 inch TV ?

24 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Define budget, when talking about a 75 inch TV ?

1500,which is at the bottom end for a 75.

I’m saying budget to make me feel better about it.

The cheapest I’d seen was a 75 Toshiba which had been on offer at Costco for 830 plus vat but the picture was poor.

On 21/10/2018 at 17:32, ram1964 said:

Ok thinking about replacing the tv. presently have a Panasonic Viera plasma 46 inch which 8 -9 years ago was considered high quality costing 2k mark.

Looking around LG seem to be market leaders.  4k the latest technology vrs  Oled.

Looking to spend £1500 - 2k ,55 inch max, used only for viewing tv and films, have Sonos so audio not so important as picture quality. 

Any suggestions on particularly makes models I should consider and why would be appreciated.

LG OLED55C8 can be had for a tad under 2k best tv around for under 2 grand cant go wrong.

Im getting 65 inch version when they come down a bit more.

I'm looking at getting a TCL. One of the best prices around, 10bit HDR, very low input lag. Widely regarded as one of the best manufacturers for gaming TVs, but haven't been available outside the US long. Seen they are releasing a new model end of the month on Amazon which has my interest.

37 minutes ago, Srg said:

I'm looking at getting a TCL. One of the best prices around, 10bit HDR, very low input lag. Widely regarded as one of the best manufacturers for gaming TVs, but haven't been available outside the US long. Seen they are releasing a new model end of the month on Amazon which has my interest.

Have you got a link or can you elaborate for us thickies please?

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Have you got a link or can you elaborate for us thickies please?

TCL are massive in the US, and they offer great value for features.

Big in the gaming community because of the input lag - so when you press a button on your game pad, the action happens on the TV quicker than most TVs. They also offer High Dynamic Range (HDR) at 10 bit rather than 8 bit like most in that price range.

Most gripes centre around the operating system - but if you aren't using it for all that sort of stuff, then you'll be fine.

This is the one I'm looking at, released on 31st Oct: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCL-50DP628-50-Inch-HDR10-Freeview/dp/B07GT6F45K/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1540304367&sr=8-11&keywords=tcl+tv+4k+hdr

One released earlier this year (maybe last year) was their first UK model and it's so cheap now for the quality of screen:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCL-43DP608-Inch-Smart-Freeview/dp/B07C4YKVDT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1540304367&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tcl+tv+4k+hdr&psc=1

40 minutes ago, Srg said:

TCL are massive in the US, and they offer great value for features.

Big in the gaming community because of the input lag - so when you press a button on your game pad, the action happens on the TV quicker than most TVs. They also offer High Dynamic Range (HDR) at 10 bit rather than 8 bit like most in that price range.

Most gripes centre around the operating system - but if you aren't using it for all that sort of stuff, then you'll be fine.

This is the one I'm looking at, released on 31st Oct: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCL-50DP628-50-Inch-HDR10-Freeview/dp/B07GT6F45K/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1540304367&sr=8-11&keywords=tcl+tv+4k+hdr

One released earlier this year (maybe last year) was their first UK model and it's so cheap now for the quality of screen:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCL-43DP608-Inch-Smart-Freeview/dp/B07C4YKVDT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1540304367&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tcl+tv+4k+hdr&psc=1

Good price for the spec.

Archived