TVs

Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Bought a 3d one 1st, upgraded that to a 4k one after a few years, and it now sits in my lads room, replacing the smaller Samsung he had, which is now in my nieces bedroom.

All were good but different.

We’ve got a 3D one. Didn’t use the 3D much simply cos we only had 2 pairs of glasses (and my niece trod on one, so down to one), so we couldn’t sit down and watch anything as a family. But I bought a set of 6 and a wireless charger off eBay for about £40. Now we do actually use it quite a bit and my daughter invites her friends round. 

Only now they’ve decided that 3d is out of vogue, so they’re not really doing any more 3d content. You can find some on sky, but it’s reallg buried deep in the menu. Quite a lot of good stuff there though if you can find it. 

Thatll be moving into our family room when we get the new big tv, so the kids can knock themselves out with 3d stuff, and I can watch 4K documentaries on my massive screen. 

Only wanted a 55inch, but the 65inch Samsung pointed out earlier seems like a keeper. I’m salivaging at the thought of 65inches. 

But, my plan is to go to curry’s I think it is, who off interest feee credit on anything over £500 I think. I love a bit of interest free credit. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Course, if you’re getting a fancy new tv, you need a fancy new sound bar to go with it. 

Any recommendations on sound bars. 

My current preference is actually the sky sound box (I have a horrible feeling I sound like I work for sky, I really don’t, but I am quite a fan of their services, I think they do a pretty good job compared to the likes of virgin, talk talk, but etc). 

Anyway, the reviews I’ve read are that for the £800 asking price for non sky subscribers, it’s not worth it, and you can get much better. But if you’re a sky subscriber you can get it for £300, or £250 if you’ve got sky q, and for that price it’s actuakky head and shoulders above anything else in that price bracket.

its actually made by a company called devient (just with a sky logo on). I don’t pretend to know anything about these things, but apparently they’re a quality brand.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Ok so here's the skinny - QLED is the Samsung equivalent technology to OLED - think Betamax and VHS. QLED has traditionally lagged behind OLED in overall quality but Samsung's 2018 models have new features that significantly close the gap. Both technologies share one thing - they're eye-wateringly expensive and while they are desirable, unless you're an exceptionally demanding viewer, the nigh-on 100% premium in price is probably not worthwhile. Once these technologies have 'bedded in' they'll be significantly cheaper - remember how much plasmas were! SO you can either wait a year or two then look again, stick with a good quality LED or buy a smaller set with OLED or QLED spec which will still be significantly out of budget. I mean a lot! 

Good summary, thanks. I’m the sub £1000 bracket then, looking for the biggest tv possible, I’ll probably stick with good quality led then. 

I can see me becoming a serial tv buyer though when I upgrade to oled or qled in a couple of years. 

What do you do with all these left over TVs. I can see my 2 year old ending up with a 42inch led in his bedroom. I only had a little portable black and white, with a coat hanger for an aerial, it was only really any good for playing my acorn electron on. And I had to wait til I was 12 to get that. 

1 minute ago, McRamFan said:

Don't forget sound quality, unless you have a decent sound bar/sound system already.

Panasonic and Samsung would be my top 2 pick.

That’s my thing. I’m plan to get a sound bar regardless, so as far as I’m concerned the tv could have no speakers at all, just an audio out. 

I hate feeling like I’m paying extra for fameagures I’m never going to use. 

Like a free view tuner. I’m going to plug it in to my sky box, so why do I need that. Smart tv even, I almost never use that on my current tele, cos everything I need is in my sky box, or I’m tempted to get an Apple TV, if I really want some more functionality. 

So my ideal tv would really just be a monitor, essentially, big as possible with the best possible picture quality. 

My current 3d tv came with a 3d bkubray player. The tv is smart. So is the blue ray player. What’s the point in that? She. Am I ever going to use the smart features on the Blu-ray player when they’re all the same smart features as on the tele?! That always bugged me. Buttons on the remote I’ll never use. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

We’ve got a 3D one. Didn’t use the 3D much simply cos we only had 2 pairs of glasses (and my niece trod on one, so down to one), so we couldn’t sit down and watch anything as a family. But I bought a set of 6 and a wireless charger off eBay for about £40. Now we do actually use it quite a bit and my daughter invites her friends round. 

Only now they’ve decided that 3d is out of vogue, so they’re not really doing any more 3d content. You can find some on sky, but it’s reallg buried deep in the menu. Quite a lot of good stuff there though if you can find it. 

Thatll be moving into our family room when we get the new big tv, so the kids can knock themselves out with 3d stuff, and I can watch 4K documentaries on my massive screen. 

Only wanted a 55inch, but the 65inch Samsung pointed out earlier seems like a keeper. I’m salivaging at the thought of 65inches. 

But, my plan is to go to curry’s I think it is, who off interest feee credit on anything over £500 I think. I love a bit of interest free credit. 

I’m sure Richer Sounds do interest free credit on some(it might be limited)tv’s?

I haven’t used them for a while but they are a very good company.

For the small price difference I would go 65.

I got a 55inch Samsung from Currys last year. It's brilliant - can't recommend it highly enough. With that size screen you need 4k to appreciate it. The only downside is that none HD looks a bit fuzzy. 

https://www.samsung.com/in/tvs/uhd-mu6470/UA55MU6470ULXL/

One thing that I found out is that the affordable range of 4K TVs from LG aren't proper 4K. They use a system where 25% of the pixels are just just white. Apparently it makes the picture brighter, but calling it 4K is bit misleading.

8 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I got a 55inch Samsung from Currys last year. It's brilliant - can't recommend it highly enough. With that size screen you need 4k to appreciate it. The only downside is that none HD looks a bit fuzzy. 

https://www.samsung.com/in/tvs/uhd-mu6470/UA55MU6470ULXL/

One thing that I found out is that the affordable range of 4K TVs from LG aren't proper 4K. They use a system where 25% of the pixels are just just white. Apparently it makes the picture brighter, but calling it 4K is bit misleading.

Think I’ve got the same in black, got two actually. 

Great TV’s until recently, Samsung is starting to be a bit shady, no matter how many times I remove that TV Plus app from my home hub it reappears a day or two later. Been through their support and basically they can do nothing. 

Also I’m getting adverts starting to show in the home hub which are from apps I can’t uninstall, deals which they obviously have in place.

I’m not against advertising obviously, but not in the menu system of a TV. 

Get a 32" set, 38" at a push, maybe HD as I guess they all come with that now, but you don't need 4k.  Makes it look like the TV is playing at 1.5x speed.

Effects are thus:

Saves a bunch of cash.

Doesn't ruin your living room.

Doesn't advertise to the world that you're overcompensating.

1 minute ago, JoetheRam said:

Watched a Derby game at a mates with a super fancy TV, looked like Benny Hill was playing. 

And Keogh isn't that bad.

That won’t be down to the resolution as it’s just more pixels on your screen, most likely the motion settings which are causing it to look a little fruity

31 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Get a 32" set, 38" at a push, maybe HD as I guess they all come with that now, but you don't need 4k.  Makes it look like the TV is playing at 1.5x speed.

Effects are thus:

Saves a bunch of cash.

Doesn't ruin your living room.

Doesn't advertise to the world that you're overcompensating.

You're either from Ilkeston or Riddings aren't you Joe?

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

you don't need 4k.  Makes it look like the TV is playing at 1.5x speed.

That’s just the motion settings they put on by default, known as the soap opera effect. Most people turn it off. 4K is a resolution, nothing to do with motion. 

I've got a 55" Sony Bravia Android TV. 

Pros: Great picture, built in Android so I can run media centre and any other side loadable apps and not have wires and boxes everywhere. 

Cons: Android TV is a bit underprovided for, remote and TV menu have far too many useless features, Occasionally it needs a reboot like most computers, wall mounts are expensive but you can bodge something together in B&q for a out a fiver. 

Cost me something like £250 from John Pye, YMMV. Not 4k but I've not got anything 4k anyway. 

Archived