Disabled Parking Bays and Disabled Toilets.

Coneheadjohn

Where do you stand on them?

Obviously we have a son who is classed as disabled and spends some time in a wheelchair and at other times who can walk varying distances unaided.

I’m not trying to trap anyone,I’ve just been called ignorant on Twitter for suggesting able bodied people shouldn’t use disabled toilets.

Personally I just think common sense should prevail,very rare Joel uses a disabled toilet or parking space unless he’s really bad or post operation.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do sometimes use the disabled toilet if I'm out with Miss Wolfie & have to take her to the loo. The gents toilets aren't often the nicest place for a 5 year old girl  - or for the blokes stood at the urinal when a 5 year old girl walks in.

I bought a radar key online so I can strip wash in the disabled loos in car parks when I'm living in my van. Never had anyone knocking on the door, or even seen anyone else use them for that matter. 

I would take issue with the suggestion that they are not for able bodied people. Due to my autism and anxiety, there are times when I cannot cope with being in a queue, or a confined space, with a load of yacking women, so the radar key means I don't have to piss myself, basically. 

51 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’m not trying to trap anyone,I’ve just been called ignorant on Twitter for suggesting able bodied people shouldn’t use disabled toilets.

On what basis are they saying it's "ignorant"? I'd never use a disabled toilet personally because it's usually less effort for an able bodied person to use the general facilities. That said, when my kids were smaller we used to use a lot of disabled toilets because they often double up as changing facilities and were generally easier to cope with the extra space and lack of mingingness as @wolfie says

33 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

On what basis are they saying it's "ignorant"? I'd never use a disabled toilet personally because it's usually less effort for an able bodied person to use the general facilities. That said, when my kids were smaller we used to use a lot of disabled toilets because they often double up as changing facilities and were generally easier to cope with the extra space and lack of mingingness as @wolfie says

I was called ignorant by a lady who made the point about someone she knew who needed the disabled toilets to change their bag, but to me that is someone who isn’t able bodied and I just left her to get ouraged.

We’ve queued up with Joel and had people push in front of us but I wasn’t going interrogate them.

The whole thing seems to lack a dose of common sense.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I do sometimes use the disabled toilet if I'm out with Miss Wolfie & have to take her to the loo. The gents toilets aren't often the nicest place for a 5 year old girl  - or for the blokes stood at the urinal when a 5 year old girl walks in.

I would class that as reasonable(I’m not claiming to be the disablility ombudsman by the way).

My stance is based on the time you'd expect to be using these things.

Disabled parking bays should only be for disabled people as they could be taken up for hours on end.

Disabled loos would potentially be sat empty for most of the day except for a few minutes here and there. So I'm not against people using the disabled loos (as I have done in the past) if queues etc are unreasonable. If someone who is disabled turned up they should get priority (this is where common sense should come in). 

In general there should be more public toilets for everyone and more disabled / parent & child parking bays.

Sith Happens

Its a difficult one. I don't know the rules but would imagine a disabled toilet is a toilet designed as suitable for disabled people but not solely for the use of disabled. 

I agree with what others say that priority should be given to disabled people though.

I would never use one unless their was no alternative such as toilets closed for cleaning etc.

I find it more bizarre you see that you have to ask for a key in some establishments. So someone who is disabled makes their way to the loo then has to go find someone with a key.

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I was called ignorant by a lady who made the point about someone she knew who needed the disabled toilets to change their bag, but to me that is someone who isn’t able bodied and I just left her to get ouraged.

To reiterate the point, disabled doesn't just mean not able bodied. 

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

To reiterate the point, disabled doesn't just mean not able bodied. 

2 hours ago, David said:

32A779A5-3278-46F9-A692-7E00F75E6447.jpeg

Try telling that to the powers that be.

I know people who share my medical condition who should be claiming benefits and be registered disabled but because they look ok and the fact that the symptoms arent evident 100% of the time no one is interested.

You are more likely to be able to claim benefits and be registered disabled if you have a leg missing than if you have cancer.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

the symptoms arent evident 100% of the time

This is part of the definition, unfortunately. Don't know what the 'special rules' are. 

I don't see how they can generalise. I'm autistic all of the time, even though that doesn't stop me from doing things all of the time. I've never tried to claim anything though, I just bought a key for the loo. 

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

This is part of the definition, unfortunately. Don't know what the 'special rules' are. 

I don't see how they can generalise. I'm autistic all of the time, even though that doesn't stop me from doing things all of the time. I've never tried to claim anything though, I just bought a key for the loo. 

I get free prescriptions because i take drugs to treat cancer, so i get all my others like asthma drugs free too...woo.?

I wont go on. I get on my soap box and.i shouldn't. 

People who park in disabled parking spaces are scumbags.

My mate and his wife are both wheelchair users, and I have experienced some of the things they have to put up with every day.

A Mercedes driver once parked on the pavement in front of a gate, leaving too little space for my mate's wheelchair to get past. My mate politely asked him to move it because it was blocking his right of way, but her told him he had no time and was in a hurry and went away.

My mate then took out his penkife and scratched the words "in a hurry" into the radiator grille of the Mercedes. Never has an act of criminal damage been so justified.

Archived