Away kits nonsense

FindernRam

Maybe (OK definitely) I'm getting old but I cannot stand all these weird away kits that seem to completely take away the heritage of the team.

Switched on yesterday mid game to see Man City playing Southampton, except it was CHELSEA. What is going on.

Later saw Arsenal in some strange purple thing. Then Man City obviously peeved their kit was down south somewhere, played in dark blue that was well camouflaged against the advertising screen. 

I'm sure it must cause a very slight hesitation when a player has to think "what are we in today, blue or pink" before making a pass. Maybe that's why so many passes go to the opposition.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely getting old ?

In most cases three kits are not necessary other than for merchandise sales that manufacturers insist on now, if these kits are barely worn they are unlikely to sell well. 

Saw some people argue that Derby should have worn their home kit at Old Trafford the other week but the black shorts would have clashed, as they would had we wore our away kit, rather than butcher it wearing all white we opted for the third strip which helps with sales.

I'm guessing Chelsea may have been in a similar situation where their blue home shorts would clash with Southampton's black, and the away socks with Southampton's so they gave the third strip an outing. Not like Man City hold the rights for light blue.

Arsenal's home socks would clash with Fulham's, so they wore their away kit.

If clubs are going to have three kits, at least use them. Doubt the players hesitate for a second about what colour shirt their team is in.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Maybe (OK definitely) I'm getting old but I cannot stand all these weird away kits that seem to completely take away the heritage of the team.

Switched on yesterday mid game to see Man City playing Southampton, except it was CHELSEA. What is going on.

Later saw Arsenal in some strange purple thing. Then Man City obviously peeved their kit was down south somewhere, played in dark blue that was well camouflaged against the advertising screen. 

I'm sure it must cause a very slight hesitation when a player has to think "what are we in today, blue or pink" before making a pass. Maybe that's why so m asses go to the opposition.

swapsies? ?

We don't need a completely new 2nd kit each year either. Slime green, maroon, purple, dark blue with light blue hoops, hi vis and now back to dark blue

Actually the NFL seems to get this one about right - everyone has a home kit and their away kit seems to be white shirts with either white trousers or the same colour as the home shirt. 

49 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

swapsies? ?

We don't need a completely new 2nd kit each year either. Slime green, maroon, purple, dark blue with light blue hoops, hi vis and now back to dark blue

Actually the NFL seems to get this one about right - everyone has a home kit and their away kit seems to be white shirts with either white trousers or the same colour as the home shirt. 

I always liked basketball’s take on it. One major colour, one colour for trim, then the away kit is just those colours reversed. Easy. 

Mind you, the nfl idea sounds like one step away from shorts vs skins  

1 hour ago, David said:

Doubt the players hesitate for a second about what colour shirt their team is in.

I'm not convinced about that. Fergie changed his kit at half time once so they were more visible! 

I'm not bothered about merchandising bought a scarf once in 1969 and Mel gave me some more. that'll see me out!

On 08/10/2018 at 09:23, FindernRam said:

Seem to remember them having a silver/grey and orange kit at some point in the 90s - Reminds me of that

On 08/10/2018 at 10:21, David said:

Saw some people argue that Derby should have worn their home kit at Old Trafford the other week but the black shorts would have clashed, as they would had we wore our away kit, rather than butcher it wearing all white we opted for the third strip which helps with sales.

I've always quite liked it when we wore all white - Although it does feel a little Dirty doing that...

Archived