Australian Ram seeing Wigan Away

Pat_fromAus

At 19, I have followed Derby from the distant lands of Australia through some ups and downs over the last 6 years as a fan, however this year I have the small opportunity to see the rams play for the first time, away at wigan. Never seeing the team play before I wish to be amongst those traveling to the match, in the away supporters area. So my question was, is the best way to do this to go through the official rams website ticketing, and when will tickets for the match become available?

Thanks from down under

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Pat_fromAus said:

At 19, I have followed Derby from the distant lands of Australia through some ups and downs over the last 6 years as a fan, however this year I have the small opportunity to see the rams play for the first time, away at wigan. Never seeing the team play before I wish to be amongst those traveling to the match, in the away supporters area. So my question was, is the best way to do this to go through the official rams website ticketing, and when will tickets for the match become available?

Thanks from down under

Hey just remember Ba-B-q-ing is not allowed at football matches. ?

The unfortunate reality of having only 2 days in England, thanks for the information about ticket sales though, a few other things I was wondering, what would be the best way of getting to and from the match, and also out of Wigan and Manchester, which would you fellow rams recommend 

1 hour ago, Pat_fromAus said:

The unfortunate reality of having only 2 days in England, thanks for the information about ticket sales though, a few other things I was wondering, what would be the best way of getting to and from the match, and also out of Wigan and Manchester, which would you fellow rams recommend 

Get the train from Manchester Victoria to Wigan (about 30 mins or so).

walk to ground-about a mile.

dont try driving- the whole area is a big built up conurbation.

10 hours ago, Pat_fromAus said:

Thankyou for the response my fellow rams, another question if I may, is there a place where those traveling to the match will meet prior to the game? Would be great to meet some of those going to the game before the whistle.

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/dw-stadium-wigan-athletic.html#apubs-for-away-fans

On 08/10/2018 at 02:26, Pat_fromAus said:

Thanks from down under

How come you ended up a Ram Pat? Family connection?

Thankyou John that’s such a kind offer, if I struggle to get a hold of a ticket I may take you up on that

well for me my love for derby really started when my father who’s loyally supported the rams for over 50 years sat me down to watch derby in the playoff final against QPR, since that heart break, I can’t get rid of em.

Terrible game to pick! Been couple of times.

Trains go from Manchester to Wigan regularly..only a few quid.

Its one straight road, less than a mile or so walk from Wigan train station to the ground.  Ground is on middle on a retail park with maybe one pub.

Ground won't be full...tickets normally freely available. Nothing to see there...you walk past Wigan Pier (not on the sea!) and its totally missable.

If you only have a day or so I would have a quick pint beforehand and go straight back to Manchester ...most fans won't be making a day of it....nothing there!!

The football museum is in middle of Manchester and free....more worthwhile way to pass hour or two.

Here’s my take coming from Brisbane. I tried talking to ticketing to see if they could hold a ticket a few years back, but they told me to buy a season ticket. Not really practical when you want just one game. I then looked at getting tickets from the away teams ticketing (Fulham) and they were a lot more helpful,but then ended up changing my travels and picking up tickets from Derby and timed my travels so I ended in London. I’d be organising to pick up the free ticket that’s on offer, a lot easier. Just make sure you shout a few pints to Coneheadjohn!

Archived