Poshness

Parsnip

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what is posh ? .. is it having lots of dosh and flashing the bling ? Is it vulgar hooray henry’s ? Is it having old style politeness and a certain precise way of doing things ? Is it just your speech ? Old money / new money / wanna have money ? Or is it snotty arrogance ? .. can you be posh but likeable to the none posh without surrendering/betraying the truth of your background ? Is there ”Poshism” as we all try and advertise that we aren’t privileged and if we are then do we deny it or celebrate it. Is it right to despise the posh .. you can’t help what you were born to or to the upside of a certain type of education and knowledge ? I sometimes think that accusing someone of being posh is about the last insult that remains acceptable. 

I’m probably a bit posh by some standards but have always thought fish knives were daft, preferred football to Rugby, despise arrogance but laud knowledge along with half decent grammar and clear speech. (With or without an accent )  ? .. one thing for sure posh, in my book, isn’t being stuck up about petty things, that’s uptight petit bourgeoisie

Dictionary definition "the quality of being elegant, stylish, or upper class." That's just the Google dictionary not Oxford English or anything.

So if you're elegant, stylish AND upper class you get 3 ticks?

Interestingly this seems a quite materialistic view of "posh" - nothing about behaviours or manners. What IS one to think? ?

52 minutes ago, jono said:

Is there ”Poshism” as we all try and advertise that we aren’t privileged and if we are then do we deny it or celebrate it. Is it right to despise the posh .. you can’t help what you were born to or to the upside of a certain type of education and knowledge ? I sometimes think that accusing someone of being posh is about the last insult that remains acceptable. 

There's certainly an inverse snobbery which manifests as a disdain for education; see the comments on here about faux intellectuals and chattering classes.

It's not poshness I object to, as in good manners, or an appreciation of culture and fine things. My bugbear is pretentiousness, and that can come from any sector of society.

There is also, obviously, the issue of privilege and the abuse of power and status, but we don't talk about dat no more. 

And no, it isn't the last insult that remains acceptable, not by a long way, but we don't talk about that either. 

Not sure if this is poshness but an observation about somebody who thought they were the bees knees. On a snorkelling trip with a mixed group of people. Middle ages Egyptian who obviously considered himself to be a cut above the rest of us was pulled around in a giant rubber ring by two young lads pointing where they should tow him. We thought what a prat!

31 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Well, when I’m crossing the pond on the Queen Mary I always insist on a suite that is Port Out Starboard Home.

I’m the same on Markeaton boating lake too.

Well, if you are talking about the Atlantic as the 'pond', Port Out, Starboard Home is the wrong way round.

I don't believe you are posh at all.

16 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Well, if you are talking about the Atlantic as the 'pond', Port Out, Starboard Home is the wrong way round.

If the defination of Port Out Starboard Home was due to the passenger getting the sun on his cabin, then would not Port out Starboard home be correct? You would get the sun on your trip to NYC you would want the port side? 

I stand to be corrected.

18 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

If the defination of Port Out Starboard Home was due to the passenger getting the sun on his cabin, then would not Port out Starboard home be correct? You would get the sun on your trip to NYC you would want the port side? 

I stand to be corrected.

It's not having the sun.

Port Out to India is away from the sun, as is Starboard Home.

Port Out across the Atlantic would leave you with a cabin like an oven.

46 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I’m looking down my nose at your reply at the moment, dear boy.

31 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I stand to be corrected.

He knows.

My deluxe staterooms (not cabins or suites, you serfs) are always air-conditioned and temperature controlled by my butler. A quick word with the Captain sorts out any minor discrepancies although I was disappointed he would not change course to get the sun out of my eyes on the shuffleboard deck.

20 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

My deluxe staterooms (not cabins or suites, you serfs) are always air-conditioned and temperature controlled by my butler. A quick word with the Captain sorts out any minor discrepancies although I was disappointed he would not change course to get the sun out of my eyes on the shuffleboard deck.

Now that IS posh.

I haven't heard such posh since I overheard an ex-colleague when I worked in t'City complaining loudly on the phone that it was "blummin difficult to find decent beaters" - apparently for his forthcoming grouse shoot.

35 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

My Lear jet is air conditioned too, and gets me there way quicker. 

Archived