Poshness

Parsnip

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’ll give you the least posh thing I see regularly at our chippy.

Scraps and peas,gravy or curry.

People don’t even have chips!!Just scraps.

The poshest thing was a woman asking what kind of oil they used??

The answer....’Cooking’.

Scraps... we used to call them 'fish bits' - basically the crumbs of batter from the shelf. They were free, so we used to get them every night - not that we were poor or owt, but we'd spent all our money on 2 bottles of 20/20 each and gone 2's on 10 embassy.

On 05/10/2018 at 21:35, Parsnip said:

Miles and Hugo are so posh they've managed to reach their mid 40's without ever having seen the two different pea pot sizes that chip shops do.

I had an experience along the same lines the other week. I was meeting a mate in London. I'd gone down on the train to St Pancras and he was running late from West London where he worked. I said I'd buy a pint in the Betjeman Arms at the station and wait for him.

A posh and very well dressed couple came and sat next to me, with a glass of red wine each. They sat in silence for a few minutes, in the way that some couples do when they have absolutely nothing to say to each other. Eventually the man managed to scramble for a topic of conversation - turned to her and said "I think this might be my favourite ever pub". "Oh" she replied. More silence

I just can't imagine how few actual pubs this guy must have ever been in for the Betjeman Arms at St Pancras to be considered his favourite. Probably nothing to do with him being posh, but it made me so sad

Sith Happens

My mum and dad arent posh, but some may have thought they were when some years back they had their first foray into going into Mcdonalds. My mum asked if they had a plate and a knife and fork.

Although the giveaway they had no idea what they were doing i think was the fact, not having a clue what to order, they ordered a happy meal each.

24 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

A posh and very well dressed couple came and sat next to me, with a glass of red wine each. They sat in silence for a few minutes, in the way that some couples do when they have absolutely nothing to say to each other.

I once overhead a similarly mismatched couple on an early date.

she started talking about recently visiting New Zealand and having had a wonderful spiritual adventure swimming with dolphins.

his enthusiastic response was to speculate who would win in a fight between a shark and a dolphin.

i nearly pished mesen having to subdue my guffaws.

My grandparents' generation, and preceding, were all rural working class, farm labourers, lace makers, millers. Both my Gran and her sister 'married well', and in the post war years, aspired to affluence and respectability. I was privately educated and destined for Oxford and greater heights still. 

Needless to say, I threw it all back in their faces, which is why I find myself discussing chip shops on a Derby County football forum. 

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

My grandparents' generation, and preceding, were all rural working class, farm labourers, lace makers, millers. Both my Gran and her sister 'married well', and in the post war years, aspired to affluence and respectability. I was privately educated and destined for Oxford and greater heights still. 

Needless to say, I threw it all back in their faces, which is why I find myself discussing chip shops on a Derby County football forum. 

Top girl.

20 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Top girl.

No regrets. Matlock College was good enough for me. 

18 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Mu missus is posh ,from darn sarf , the kids were very well spoken until they went to school .Then then of course picked up the local dialect ,shame really.

I was full blown RP when I arrived in Derbyshire in 1985. For the first couple of years people complained that they couldn't understand my accent. 

Daaaarling, I said, I do not haaave an accent...

9 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

No regrets. Matlock College was good enough for me. 

I was full blown RP when I arrived in Derbyshire in 1985. For the first couple of years people complained that they couldn't understand my accent. 

Daaaarling, I said, I do not haaave an accent...

We all love you pet, even though you can be a bit loopy. ❤️❤️?

21 hours ago, Paul71 said:

My mum and dad arent posh, but some may have thought they were when some years back they had their first foray into going into Mcdonalds. My mum asked if they had a plate and a knife and fork.

Although the giveaway they had no idea what they were doing i think was the fact, not having a clue what to order, they ordered a happy meal each.

But happy meals do at least come with their own plate, if you tear the top off the box. So maybe they knew exactly what they were doing. 

19 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Mu missus is posh ,from darn sarf , the kids were very well spoken until they went to school .Then then of course picked up the local dialect ,shame really.

My kids spoke with the same accent as Peppa Pig, until they went to school. 

Archived