Weak Wingers

sage

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Agreed about TL. I don't think we should throw him out with the bath water just yet. There is a player in there somewhere. Just need to find a way of coaxing it or should coaching it out of him 

Frank likes him. 

Thats what matters mate .

He can be frustratingly brilliant 

35 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

If it works? Or Fashion. The point Surely is to get behind defences...A winger beating his full-back is surely one of the simplest and most efficient ways to get down the entry of a side...

If it's gone out of fashion, wouldn't that be because other approaches are proving to be more successful? Isn't there more chance of losing possession from a cross, so ultimately, less chance of scoring?

The point for me from the OP was wondering whether we are actually talking about different kinds of players here, rather than the quality of particular individuals.

1 minute ago, Lambchop said:

If it's gone out of fashion, wouldn't that be because other approaches are proving to be more successful? Isn't there more chance of losing possession from a cross, so ultimately, less chance of scoring?

The point for me from the OP was wondering whether we are actually talking about different kinds of players here, rather than the quality of particular individuals.

Yes, quite possibly so. 

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Think it’s more a case of we’re playing the wrong wingers rather than them all being useless, and some of the players we persist as playing wide aren’t actually widemen.

I actually think we have better wingers than we have had previously, but we’ve gotta get them out there and replace some of our ‘fake’ wingers with some proper ones to compete imo. 

I don't think both players necessarily have to be 'widemen'. Particularly on the right where bogle is bombing on and has the appetite to take people on, the wide striker could be an inside forward. And thats why it can work with waghorn or bennett.

on the left who is going to go on the outside? Certainly not tom lawrence because he is so right footed that he just can't do it. Thats why lawrence has to come infield, go narrow, or play central. 

At least one of the two should be a proper winger.

Harvey Barnes on loan, would of kept Jerome or Martin , and never would of signed waghorn.  What a signing Barnes is for West Brom, also Dwight Gayle, they will finish top 2. I don't think we have terrible wingers, they just can't cross, like our past wingers. 

24 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Harvey Barnes on loan, would of kept Jerome or Martin , and never would of signed waghorn.  What a signing Barnes is for West Brom, also Dwight Gayle, they will finish top 2. I don't think we have terrible wingers, they just can't cross, like our past wingers. 

Our wingers can cross but we have nobody who can head that well and not many players in the box so it just looks like they can't cross players like Ronaldo and Crouch make most crosses look good due to their heading ability .I think playing 2 upfront sometimes may work and offer more options for our wingers to cross to. Waghorn is abetter player than Jerome it is just that he is not getting many opportunities to start and he has played mostly as a winger for us, id like to see him play upfront next to Nugent or Marriot.

22 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’d say Bennett for example is a bench player

Lawrence also, whilst more of a winger, isn’t quite right there either I wouldn’t say,

Imo our only two wingers suited to playing in this formation naturally are Wilson and josefzoon. Imo those two are both quality players, arguably imo 

we’ve gotta get them out there and replace some of our ‘fake’ wingers with some proper ones to compete imo. 

tC5uumk.png

On 05/10/2018 at 23:01, RamNut said:

Tommy smith, gary micklewhite, ted "two legs" mcminn, gerry ryan, simmo, jeff chandler, 

i enjoyed watching all of them.

(hinton ?)

Nah he wont the best but Gary Micklwhite wont a bad crosser of the ball. At lesst when he gor it he would run forward instead of hitting actoss the pitch which then heads back ta goalie 

1 hour ago, Owd miner said:

Nah he wont the best but Gary Micklwhite wont a bad crosser of the ball. At lesst when he gor it he would run forward instead of hitting actoss the pitch which then heads back ta goalie 

I'm sure you're correct my dear chap, whatever it was you just said.

Not a lot of point having wingers that cross as we don't have bodies in the box and if we do they are mostly not good headers.

Yesterday 10 corners no goals, no point crossing. Sure I know Lawrence got a fluke early season but that probably it for this year!

On 06/10/2018 at 09:53, Curtains said:

I’m in the Tom Lawrence camp. 

Who is Alpha lol. 

Haha?

In the Tom Lawrence camp do you all have your own tent that looks good when you're putting it up but then falls down when you need to use it?

And I'm assuming that when you're eating roasted marshmallows or whatever happens in camp that nobody shares? 

Then you sing one good song together and forget what a terrible weekend it was?

40 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Haha?

In the Tom Lawrence camp do you all have your own tent that looks good when you're putting it up but then falls down when you need to use it?

And I'm assuming that when you're eating roasted marshmallows or whatever happens in camp that nobody shares? 

Dyb dyb dyb 

Dob dob dob 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Haha?

a quick chorus of ging-gang-gooly and he's anyones............?

On 05/10/2018 at 14:10, Ellafella said:

Perhaps we were spoiled at Derby by having a player like Hinton...has there ever been a better out and out winger who constantly delivered exorcet crosses? Terry Curran starred for a while but I struggle to add any more apart from Paul Simpson. Josefzoon has great potential; Ince was very effective at times but modern wingers don’t seem to have that knack of putting in telling crosses...

Yikes.

I'm sure some have been mentioned, I'm just too lazy to look.

Leighton James

Ted McMinn

Nigel Callaghan

Gordon Hill

Gary Micklewhite (sometimes)

Georgi Kinkladze (sometimes)

Kris Commons

Steve Carter

Jamie Ward (barf)

I've got your back, I mailed you some of this.

p.jpg

Archived