Tipping

Angry Ram

On 03/10/2018 at 12:42, David said:

Just to add, you have online sites like Just Eat, you can order and pay for your food before it even arrives, they do not have any option to leave a tip for the driver. If you have no change in the house are you a moron for ordering online knowing you can't tip the driver or are the morons the restaurants that treat their drivers like poo?

I understand that people take crap paid jobs at times because thats all thats out there, but if nobody took these who would deliver the food? Make a stand. 

Quick look shows Dominos pays it's drivers minimum wage plus a pound for each delivery for expenses.

Screenshot 2018-10-03 at 12.33.48.png

That may be the case with the national chains.

Ever gone to your local curry or chinese takeaway? Seen the 'Drivers Needed' sign in the window? Ask how much they pay?

You might be able to comfortably choose which job you will and won't do but there are lots of people who may need a 2nd job, who may need cash because the fridge is busted or little Johnny needs his school trip paying for or whatever who will take that job.

Each to their own, tip or not tip, but I will ALWAYS tip my takeway delivery driver because I've been there, done that.

Restaurants, no idea, i don't go to them. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It did actually take me ages to work out the service charge was an optional tip. Cheeky as duck that they add it as standard. For ages I was laying the service charge, and then, when I was feeling generous, adding a 10% tip on the whole bill, including an extra 10% on the service charge. What a mug!

When a service charge is included on a bill in the UK, where does this extra money go and is it also taxed?

Is there any legal requirement to pay this amount? If you don't pay it, but leave a cash tip instead, where does this cash go? Does this cash get taxed too.

If tax is not paid on tips/service, why can't @Boycie just lower his quote and add a non-taxable amount on top?

I hate Just Eat etc. They don't actually do anything except bleed small businesses dry.

Parasites who take a minimum of 10% order value from the takeaways, who have to use them because lazy bugger customers haven't got the wit or sense to contact the takeaway direct and, you know, actually help them make a living and stay open.

Save the takeaway menu drawer!!!

I was at a hotel at Gatwick where the family had a meal at a serve yourself carvery where you had to return trays to a trolley after the meal - they then added a 12.5% service charge to the bill! I asked what it was for and they said for setting out the food. They got shirty with me for querying it so I asked for it to be removed - hotel manager came and was really abrupt and said no one had queried it before!

2 hours ago, Bigfella said:

I was at a hotel at Gatwick where the family had a meal at a serve yourself carvery where you had to return trays to a trolley after the meal - they then added a 12.5% service charge to the bill! I asked what it was for and they said for setting out the food. They got shirty with me for querying it so I asked for it to be removed - hotel manager came and was really abrupt and said no one had queried it before!

I had a similar experience in the Rain Forest Cafe in London. The food was already extortionate, and I went there under duress but because "it's fun for the kids". I was already steeling myself for a massive bill so immediately clocked that they'd added 12.5% service charge. I asked for it to be taken off and our waiter said he didn't have authority to do that and he had to call the manager.

Said Manager was aggressively suggesting that I was being unreasonable and that everyone normally paid it. I pointed out that well over 50% of their custom was probably overseas visitors who didn't even realise and paid a tip on top of it. Told him that I'd pay for what we ordered but no more, explained to him what the word "discretionary" meant and that his company lacked ethics.

Avoid that place - the food was crap as well

21 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

'Fun for the kids' sounds like the absolute ring of death. 

It wasn't even that much fun. Every 30 minutes they dim all the lights and simulate a really loud thunderstorm (rain forest geddit??)

Almost every table had at least one small child in fearful hysterics ?

If the service is good tip, if it's not then don't. It's not terribly complex. If the service is good and you don't tip is simply because you're a tightwad. For the record, service charges almost always go to the restaurant not the service staff so it's a poor excuse for not tipping. It's a stealth tax levied by restaurants to screw you for a few extra quid and should only be levied (if at all) on tables of four or more guests. Quite why is a bit of a mystery known only to restaurant owners who feel that taxing you for frequenting their establishment is an acceptable course of action. 

29 minutes ago, 86 points said:

If the service is good tip, if it's not then don't. It's not terribly complex. If the service is good and you don't tip is simply because you're a tightwad. For the record, service charges almost always go to the restaurant not the service staff so it's a poor excuse for not tipping. It's a stealth tax levied by restaurants to screw you for a few extra quid and should only be levied (if at all) on tables of four or more guests. Quite why is a bit of a mystery known only to restaurant owners who feel that taxing you for frequenting their establishment is an acceptable course of action.

I thought this, I've only ever seen a service charge added for larger tables, normally 8 or more.

There must be a lot of chancers out there that I've not come across.

Archived