Tipping

Angry Ram

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the idea of giving someone who’s done a good job, above and beyond the norm, a little something.

But what is effectively mandatory tipping as in the USA I find offensive and demeaning for both parties. It stresses me 

Like Wolfie though .. I look at 10% in restaurants if all has gone reasonably well and always round up taxi fares to the nearest quid or 2 

6 minutes ago, jono said:

I love the idea of giving someone who’s done a good job, above and beyond the norm, a little something.

But what is effectively mandatory tipping as in the USA I find offensive and demeaning for both parties. It stresses me 

Like Wolfie though .. I look at 10% in restaurants if all has gone reasonably well and always round up taxi fares to the nearest quid or 2 

In USA at the moment and the servers have no shame about tipping. They plead poverty about how little they get paid - why is that my problem, take it up with your boss.  Called in a small log-cabin type cafe yesterday - the bill was $14 and the smallest note I had on me was a fifty. "D'ya want change on that?" WTF do you think? So instead of getting a $5 tip (30% on the bill) they got nowt!

I actually have strong views on this subject.

The tip should go to the person giving you service ie the young waitress who may have just been dumped by her boyfriend etc. but still laughs at my pathetic jokes and smiles - not the chief in the kitchen who can if he so desires be as miserable as duck... And certainly not go in to the owners pot - nor should tips be put in a kitty and divided amongst all staff!

If Restaurants can add a service charge why can’t I? 

Their menu is like my quote.

They bring the food, I make the magic happen with electric. 

Both deliver what the customer required and asked for.

They can add an extra for doing nowt more, yet if I add an extra it’s “ hold on, you quoted me x amount!”

Also,

Giving tips in cash directly to the staff and telling them to put it in their pocket, what does Judge @Paul71 think about this then? ?

Anyway, I’m off to find my tin hat, laters.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

In USA at the moment and the servers have no shame about tipping. They plead poverty about how little they get paid - why is that my problem, take it up with your boss.  Called in a small log-cabin type cafe yesterday - the bill was $14 and the smallest note I had on me was a fifty. "D'ya want change on that?" WTF do you think? So instead of getting a $5 tip (30% on the bill) they got nowt!

not sure why you think they should have shame, tipping is part of the cost as dictated by the culture of the country you are visiting.  The price tag at JC Penneys does not include but good luck trying to walk out having paid the ticket price.  it's not tipping it is a service tax and should be described as such.  Cheek of the waiter though suggesting $36 tip on 14 haha

One of the sneaky tricks is to expect a percentage tip on the whole bill.  As far as i understand the tip is supposed to be on the food not the wine.  To answer @Boycie, if you take it off the bill and still do not give anything I would suggest not going back or you risk being served Baldricks coffee

11 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Worst for me in USA is a bartender expecting a tip to remove a bottle from a fridge, open it and take my payment, I.E doing his job.

Edit: obviously you go along with the local custom though.

Worst one is a guy sitting in a toilet in England, passing me a paper towel, and squirting me with aftershave I didn’t ask for, and expecting a tip. 

If you want a tip, you best come over here and hold my dick for me mate. And don’t skimp on the shaking. 

I went to Cuba and there were hundreds of Canadians stopping in the hotel. We were all inclusive but everytime the Canadians went for a drink or a meal they gave a 1 Cuban Tourist Peso tip. The bar staff must have taken £100s of Pesos every night. 

I couldn’t get my head around it because they may as well have gone half board for the amount of money they spent. I always think either tip an individual for good service like the cleaner waiter or put in a communal tip box to be shared with the people you don’t see like kitchen staff etc.

If you don't know this film you... should! apologies for any colourful language...

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make poo.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a ducking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

Mr. White: You have no idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ass. This is a hard job.

Mr. Pink: So is working at McDonalds but you don't feel the need to tip them do you? Why not? They're serving you food but no society says "no", don't tip these guys over there but tip these guys over here. Thats ********

Mr. White: Waitressing is the number one job for female non-college graduates. Its the one job basically any woman can get and make a living on. Reason is because of tips.

Mr. Pink: duck all that.

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I’d tip if someone was properly looking after me, above and beyond their job description. But not as a matter of course, and certainly not just for doing the job that they’ve been paid for already. 

The only place I ever tip is Shalimar in Darley Dale, because I go there regularly and they're absolutely lovely. It's a gesture of personal appreciation. 

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

Has anyone asked for a service charge to be removed before, and what was the reaction?

Yes, and it was removed without comment. If it happens, I'll never go there again. 

38 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

The only place I ever tip is Shalimar in Darley Dale, because I go there regularly and they're absolutely lovely. It's a gesture of personal appreciation. 

Well if they say "I can make you feel good" and make it " a night to remember" with your tip they can " take that to the bank".    Never knew shalamar played at Darley Dale though. 

I eat out a lot, at least 2-3 times a week with my girlfriend or family. I make a point to only tip when there is a reason to tip. The standard in most places is usually quite poor, plus I also like to take value into account. If I'm paying £100+ for a meal and the service has been adequate, I don't feel the need to tip £10 or £20 on top. However, if I had the same meal with the same service and the price was £60 then I would be more incline to leave £12-15 as a tip.

I don't think anyone should feel bad about not tipping either. If someone really goes out there way for you, by all means give want you want/can. 

Seemed to spend half the money I had on tip's when I went to New York, it got on my nerves as I don't mind leaving a tip for good service but most place's they just stuck 10-20 % on the bill.  I only refused to pay it once when the meal was dire and they took it straight off.  It can become a bit of a tourist trap if your not careful.  At the time it was something new (2006) but like most thing's American it seem's to have wound up here eventually,  A few restaurant's in Derby do this add to the bill tipping now.

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Worst one is a guy sitting in a toilet in England, passing me a paper towel, and squirting me with aftershave I didn’t ask for, and expecting a tip. 

If you want a tip, you best come over here and hold my dick for me mate. And don’t skimp on the shaking. 

I met that bloke in a toilet on Friargate.  Always remember the catchphrase as he sprayed me .  No splash... No .........  Fill in the blank

At expensive restaurant in the UK, the senior waiting staff will earn more than the customers (who treat it as a celebratory meal, like a birthday) in a large amount of cases (people who go there once a week probably earn plenty ? ). I don't agree with the idea of tipping in such scenarios.

I tip generously when I'm in the US, unless its a particularly abysmal experience, because the waiting staff basically make no money without tips. But that's not true in the UK, our wage and worker laws make sure of that. In the UK tipping should be exclusively for exceptional effort on the part of the staff.

Archived