Tipping

Angry Ram

We might have done this before but from a quick search I could not find anything.

Who do you tip and how much? Always a nightmare for me, never know how much to give. Normally stick to around 10% but is 15 or 20% expected for good service. 

Recently had a meal where the food was not great but the server was brilliant. She did everything possible to sort out the problems. Bar cooking it herself, she could do no more. Do you tip her? I think yes but a lot of us had different views. How much? Seemed wrong to pay a % of the meal as that as poo. In the end, I bunged her a tenner and told her to make sure she kept it to herself, no sharing pot. 

The geezer who delivers your takeaway? In London, he has just taken his life into his hands to deliver your curry. He will probably have to walk home as someone would have stolen the moped at some point on the journey. Really feel for these guys now. How much? 

Porters.... Normally insist on carrying my own stuff as I never know how much to give these guys. Especially in the USA. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It annoys the hell out of me when restaurants automatically add a tip - though that might be ending soon...

Usually do 10% for waiting staff but feel bad sometimes that I pay with card for everything & rarely carry much cash, so unless I think to tell them to add it to the bill, they sometimes don't get anything. Many card machines don't ask you if you want to add a tip and then it's too late.

I usually give an extra pound or two to taxis & takeaway drivers.

Usually leave some cash behind in the room at the end of our holiday for the housekeeper.

I will normally tip but - as wolfie - i often don't carry much change.

always leave dosh for the cleaners in hotels

usually tip if a waitress has been pleasant

but i found hotel porters in venice a pain in the arse. They would snatch your bag and get in the lift to the first floor before standing there waiting to be paid for the privilege. Whats Fk off in Italian?

I don't like the whole idea of tipping.

Why do we feel it's necessary to tip service workers? Makes me feel uncomfortable, almost like I'm looking down my nose at them as I hand them money for doing their job. Because that's what they are doing, the job they are paid to do.

I've pretty much given up on tipping in UK. The published price should be what you pay, and if service is poor complain to the manager.

In New Zealand its actually against the law I'm told.

In the States 15-20% is effectively mandatory, but their pay rates are very low and the tax man assumes a level of tips whether they get them or not! 

Cruise ships automatically add ridiculous amounts. Although P&O have said they are stopping it.

2 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

10% is OK in the UK, 20% if it was amazing service and food.

USA is a minimum of 15%, as they get very poor wages and for US porters is usually a $2 a bag that they carry for you.

This is a good guide, however things do change.

https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2008-11-11/etiquette-101-tipping-guide

Ugh, that website. 

Tells you how much to tip in restaurants, taxis and boat trips down the Thames, yet ends with this line...

"England has by and large gone the way of most of Europe: Tips are included in many bills, especially in formal settings, and discretion is key in handing them over."

Exactly, it's included in the bill. Tipping is very dated in this country and makes little sense why we choose to tip some service workers and not others.

Why would you tip a waiter/waitress but not a grocery delivery worker?

Why would you tip a taxi driver but not a bus driver?

Why would you tip a barman/woman but not a McDonalds crew member?

14 minutes ago, David said:

Ugh, that website. 

Tells you how much to tip in restaurants, taxis and boat trips down the Thames, yet ends with this line...

"England has by and large gone the way of most of Europe: Tips are included in many bills, especially in formal settings, and discretion is key in handing them over."

Exactly, it's included in the bill. Tipping is very dated in this country and makes little sense why we choose to tip some service workers and not others.

Who tips barmen?

14 minutes ago, David said:

Ugh, that website

There are others...

15 minutes ago, David said:

At the end of the day, it's up to you. 

Here's another guide, perhaps it is more palatable.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186216-s606/United-Kingdom:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Who tips barmen?

Customers. Does happen still, well it did when I worked in a pub.

The female bar staff usually hauled in the most tips though, they had to go in the jar then at the end of the year it paid for the alcohol from the pub for the staff party which we had to serve ourselves. If you couldn't make it that night, your loss.

Didn't seem right, especially for those due in the morning early to open up.

2 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

There are others...

At the end of the day, it's up to you. 

Here's another guide, perhaps it is more palatable.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186216-s606/United-Kingdom:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Big warning at the top

"Please note that the discussion was closed to any additional postings as of Nov 1, 2016 and, as such, some of the information contained herein may be outdated and cannot be commented on by travelers at this time."

Exactly, outdated! ?

My first job was in a restaurant for a few years. It was a hotel restaurant so we all had our own tables to look after in sections. 

If I did my best to look after customers, did all the extra things for them, poured the wine, gave recommendations on where to travel, etc. I was often tipped and it felt like I was appreciated.

I would always keep this money and others did the same (completely against hotel rules). Sharing the tips only works if everybody puts in the same level of effort. One year they were particularly strict with us and all tips had to go in a pot. After working Christmas Day, New Years' Eve and God-knows how many hours in December, I got something like £28 extra. The split and hierarchy meant that management got the lion's share. I left the following year.

If I'm being served in a restaurant myself, I always try to make sure a tip (if deserved) is in cash and goes directly to them. I ask for any added tips on the bill to be taken off because if I want to tip somebody, I'll give it them personally.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Big warning at the top

"Please note that the discussion was closed to any additional postings as of Nov 1, 2016 and, as such, some of the information contained herein may be outdated and cannot be commented on by travelers at this time."

Exactly, outdated! ?

Duh, I already stated that in my first post.  Of course stuff gets outdated, or do you assume everything you read on the tinterweb is upto date and accurate?

Takeaway delivery drivers you should always tip, as long as they're friendly.

I delivered for many years and the tips were usually the only thing that made it worthwhile seeing as the wages were so poor.

When i stopped a couple of years ago it was £5 per hour plus £1 per delivery, some nights i was only doing 3 or 4 so the tips would help with petrol etc.

50p, or a pound ideally was fine but you'd get morons who'd stand at the door saying "I've got the right money" and expect you to be happy about it or "I don't want any change" when it's 5p or 10p which is like an insult.

My view is, if the wages are poor then tip the poor bugger.

I would say 10%,20% is a rich southern rate.

People who we use regularly and have got to know such as the regular DPD driver or our favourite takeaway we always bung them a bit at Christmas or whenever.

We certainly don’t assume a tip and if the service is not up to scratch then you won’t get anything.

Always try and make a tip personal to that person.

I work at a place where a lot of quite well off people  and traders shop are regularly trying to slip me a few quid which would be instant dismissal for me.

5 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Takeaway delivery drivers you should always tip, as long as they're friendly.

I delivered for many years and the tips were usually the only thing that made it worthwhile seeing as the wages were so poor.

When i stopped a couple of years ago it was £5 per hour plus £1 per delivery, some nights i was only doing 3 or 4 so the tips would help with petrol etc.

50p, or a pound ideally was fine but you'd get morons who'd stand at the door saying "I've got the right money" and expect you to be happy about it or "I don't want any change" when it's 5p or 10p which is like an insult.

My view is, if the wages are poor then tip the poor bugger.

Minimum wage was £5.93 back in 2010, should have reported them. The customer on the doorstep isn't to know that you are being paid below minimum wage, not usually a question you stop to ask when your pizza is being handed over.

My best tipping experience was in New York with a bunch of 4 friends. On our last drink of the last night, we pooled all our shrapnel and left it as a tip on the table for the waitress. We had got about 10 yards out the door when she came running after us and threw the whole pile of coins at us and said "i don't want your goddam small change!!!"

In all honesty it did add up to the sort of tip we'd been leaving elsewhere, so it wasn't the amount she was complaining about, she just seemed to object to the number of coins.

?

34 minutes ago, David said:

Customers. Does happen still, well it did when I worked in a pub.

The female bar staff usually hauled in the most tips though, they had to go in the jar then at the end of the year it paid for the alcohol from the pub for the staff party which we had to serve ourselves. If you couldn't make it that night, your loss.

Didn't seem right, especially for those due in the morning early to open up.

I have never heard of such a thing. We used to tip waiters in Czech pubs but they bring the drinks over to your table. I have never tipped anyone for pulling a pint.

In all my years of drinking I can confidently say I have banged more barmaids than tipped them.

And that's one.

Archived