Honesty

Angry Ram

I remember our headmaster at the juniors - mr warren, wonderful chap - saying something about stealing, and if he'd stolen some food it would be pointless as he wouldn't be able to eat it.

basically, he's right.

don't know how burglars sleep at night.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

not personally benefiting financially is an interesting theory. 

It could be that, or the dubious notion of 'victimless' crime, but I suspect it's more likely because I didn't actually have to personally deceive anyone. 

In Andy's Records I had to walk up to the sales person clutching an album that I knew had the wrong price on it, because I had changed it, and keep an innocent face on whilst I paid and they bagged it up. Even though I got away with it, I was never tempted to do it again, and I'm cringing thinking about it all these years later. 

Maybe if a supervisor in Tescos had asked, how many greasy chickens did you give away today, and I'd had to say none, instead of seven, then I wouldn't have been able to do it. 

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

It could be that, or the dubious notion of 'victimless' crime, but I suspect it's more likely because I didn't actually have to personally deceive anyone. 

In Andy's Records I had to walk up to the sales person clutching an album that I knew had the wrong price on it, because I had changed it, and keep an innocent face on whilst I paid and they bagged it up. Even though I got away with it, I was never tempted to do it again, and I'm cringing thinking about it all these years later. 

Maybe if a supervisor in Tescos had asked, how many greasy chickens did you give away today, and I'd had to say none, instead of seven, then I wouldn't have been able to do it. 

Just seven? Thats a a poultry amount

8 hours ago, 86 points said:

Ordered a £150 coat online and paid for next day delivery. Five days later, no coat. Rang up another was dispatched and received next day. Three days later, what was presumably the first one turned up. Kept it, gave it to the lad, never missed a beat. Folk who sit there openly claiming to be honest, very seldom are in my experience. Why would an honest man feel the need to extoll his own virtue, after all? Quite often it's fear of being found out, rather than innate truthfulness, that dictates whether folk choose right over wrong, if those are indeed the appropriate metrics.

Good point. 

I once overheard a conversation my mum was having with her church group. She was saying my dad was the best Christian she new. 

Now my dad is the most unreligious person you’ll ever meet, scientist through and through. He’s just a genuinely nice bloke, and as honest as the day is long. (I think I’ve rubbed off on him a bit recently, and if he slightly fiddles his occupation to get a few quid off his car insurance, he giggles like a school girl shop lifting a pack of chewing gum).

My mums a nice lady, but I always suspected she’s nice because that’s whats expected of her, not because it’s necessarily in her nature. She’s nice because she’s afraid of going to hell if she’s not.

Dad doesn’t believe in heaven and hell, he’s just nice cos it’s the right thing to do. 

In conclusion, most people are nice vos they’re afraid of getting caught not being nice. But the really nice people do it regardless. Like @Angry Ram saying he could have gotten away with this easily, but he fessed up anyway. Better man than I. 

Sith Happens
35 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I chickened out after that incase they suspected fowl play, etc...

And you didnt want t end up with egg on your face

On 05/10/2018 at 08:29, Wolfie said:

My worst one is definitely when me & Mrs Wolfie were getting married & we had a wedding gift list at Debenhams. My in laws gave us some money to get some Le Creuset stuff, so we did. When we got home, we realised they hadn't charged us for one of the casserole dishes (£130). I tried to call them once but got cut off. I then honestly forgot about it until several weeks later & never did contact them again. They had all our details, though, so should have seen that they were down for the stuff on our list.

The company charging £130 for a casserole dish is the real crook in this story ?

19 hours ago, Gritters said:

I don’t know if supermarkets are different but normally they don’t sell boxes of wine so when I have bought a box the person on the checkout takes out a bottle and x’s 6 for the 6 in the box.

I can't really remember tbh. She might have scanned a bottle, which is even more stupid when clearly I'm buying 6. I remember thinking that the dippy cashier just didn't give one. So I let her ring it in how she felt best. 

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I can't really remember tbh. She might have scanned a bottle, which is even more stupid when clearly I'm buying 6. I remember thinking that the dippy cashier just didn't give one. So I let her ring it in how she felt best. 

It might have been Lambchop on one of her great giveaways.

5 hours ago, Gritters said:

It might have been Lambchop on one of her great giveaways.

Oban ten years ago, then maybe, although I don't remember doing it with wine. 

The tone was set by the interview: 

- Why dya wanna work here for, then?

- House sitting for a friend for six months, thought I might as well have a job. 

First day:

- Aw, goid morning, we no expected ta see you again. 

38 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I don't remember doing it with wine

How many times you said that?

38 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Oban ten years ago

Sounds like an amazing experience. I've travelled a fair bit but never really made it to the middle East mainly due to the political climate. Did you embrace the burka? 

Don't feel bad if it's a multinational company losing out or if I feel I'm already paying over the odds (a meal and they leave a drink off for instance). Don't go looking for opportunities.

Company I work for is great and they don't mind work meals with families and so on. Be open with your boss and if you have a good one, rewards come with it. Don't ever cheat on expenses, never worth it.

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

How many times you said that?

Couple of dozen, maybe more.

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

I've travelled a fair bit but never really made it to the middle East mainly due to the political climate. Did you embrace the burka? 

The issue was more the meteorological climate. I certainly embraced the parka. 

13 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Good point. 

I once overheard a conversation my mum was having with her church group. She was saying my dad was the best Christian she new. 

Now my dad is the most unreligious person you’ll ever meet, scientist through and through. He’s just a genuinely nice bloke, and as honest as the day is long. (I think I’ve rubbed off on him a bit recently, and if he slightly fiddles his occupation to get a few quid off his car insurance, he giggles like a school girl shop lifting a pack of chewing gum).

My mums a nice lady, but I always suspected she’s nice because that’s whats expected of her, not because it’s necessarily in her nature. She’s nice because she’s afraid of going to hell if she’s not.

Dad doesn’t believe in heaven and hell, he’s just nice cos it’s the right thing to do. 

In conclusion, most people are nice vos they’re afraid of getting caught not being nice. But the really nice people do it regardless. Like @Angry Ram saying he could have gotten away with this easily, but he fessed up anyway. Better man than I. 

Your dad sounds a really good guy TT but you might want to edit the second line of the second paragraph - the bit in brackets - before social services start calling.

Twice I have left my wallet on the roof of the car, putting kids in car seats when they were younger.

The first time at Donningtton services, I got a phone call half way down the M42, asking me my name. Gave the answer and the bloke, wjife and parents travelling to Brum met me at Appleby services to return it complete with cards and around £200 in! Had to practically force him to accept £20 for a round of drinks.

The second I’d nipped a local Tesco and a bloke rang me 30 mins later, same thing, met me returned wallet, cards, it was missing £30 which local kids had no doubt pocketed, ho hum. He told me there was no more in it when he rang, so I took him a bottle of wine.

How did I get lucky twice, someone once told me to always leave plenty of business cards in my wallet, jus5 in case it’s lost! Good advice for anyone I’d say.

Anyway booth times an act of kindness which I reciprocated back when neither expected reward. So if I ever found anything valuable I’d always hand it back or give it the local police.

7 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Your dad sounds a really good guy TT but you might want to edit the second line of the second paragraph - the bit in brackets - before social services start calling.

Do you mean this part? I thought that sounded a bit dodgy too. Joking apart though @TigerTedd it is an interesting theory you have there about genuinely nice people and ones that are just nice because they feel duty bound.

21 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

(I think I’ve rubbed off on him a bit recently, and if he slightly fiddles  

Archived