Two banks of four

secretsquirrel

I'd echo @Doodle, we should go 352

With two strikers to occupy their centre backs we should be able to get Mount into the gap between their lines. Get him on the ball in space and he'll cause havoc. 433 just means that we get outnumbered and the opposition can usually nullify our best attacking threats. 433 works when the opponents come to play open football, but consistently fails to provide a method of getting around the parked bus.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't make runs in behind them, its easy for their banks to defend you.

Against Bolton, we hardly made any runs in behind. That's why Nugent isn't a good foil for those types of games. A player to hold the ball up isn't actually that important when 70% of the game is our defence having the ball on the half way line.

I think Huddz is still a go-to option when team need breaking down. Yeah, his first game back from injury was poor but to not look at him again since is perhaps a mistake. Nobody in our squad can pick a pass like Huddz and the others know it, so having them make their runs confident that Huddz can find them might help us open up some of the more negative teams we face. Fact remains though, that even a limited team is very hard to break down if they remain disciplined, Bolton being a good example. The only team in this fair land who is almost guaranteed to score against any type of defense this is Citeh and we're a long way of their level just now.

25 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I think Huddz is still a go-to option when team need breaking down. Yeah, his first game back from injury was poor but to not look at him again since is perhaps a mistake. Nobody in our squad can pick a pass like Huddz and the others know it, so having them make their runs confident that Huddz can find them might help us open up some of the more negative teams we face. Fact remains though, that even a limited team is very hard to break down if they remain disciplined, Bolton being a good example. The only team in this fair land who is almost guaranteed to score against any type of defense this is Citeh and we're a long way of their level just now.

So will you want to give Huddz some game time tonight ? 

50/50 with Bradders? Both playing the holding role. ??

Interesting one ???

53 minutes ago, Err ram io said:

So will you want to give Huddz some game time tonight ? 

50/50 with Bradders? Both playing the holding role. ??

Interesting one ???

Not really what I've said, is it? What I've actually suggested is that when teams are hard to break down, Huddz is an option. I think given Brad's form recently he pretty much has to start. An interesting conundrum is whether Brad's current good form is purely because he's playing the deeper role or whether it's down to renewed confidence and whether he could therefore adopt a higher role as per his time at Norwich. We also have the very promising George Evans to return not to mention the other George. The point I was trying to make is that I think runners are more prepared to make runs that stretch defensive teams if they think they have a chance of being picked out. Of our current crop of mids, Thudd is the player best equipped to fulfil that need and therefore warrants gametime if we're struggling to break a team down ie. Bolton. Just my opinion of course. For the record, I'm not really a fan of playing two out and out DMs in the same side given the style of football we've adopted under Frank. Seems to me that it rather defeats the object.

3 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I'd echo @Doodle, we should go 352

With two strikers to occupy their centre backs we should be able to get Mount into the gap between their lines. Get him on the ball in space and he'll cause havoc. 433 just means that we get outnumbered and the opposition can usually nullify our best attacking threats. 433 works when the opponents come to play open football, but consistently fails to provide a method of getting around the parked bus.

It’s all just numbers on paper though innit? 

A 4-3-3 can break down two banks of four by having full-back, centre-mid and winger making a rotation with the idea of creating either a spare man, space or a player in behind.

The numbers in the box come from the other centre-mid, striker and other winger. 

As Lampard says, it’s a coachable problem we have, not tactical.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

It’s all just numbers on paper though innit? 

A 4-3-3 can break down two banks of four by having full-back, centre-mid and winger making a rotation with the idea of creating either a spare man, space or a player in behind.

The numbers in the box come from the other centre-mid, striker and other winger. 

As Lampard says, it’s a coachable problem we have, not tactical.

I disagree (because I know more about football than Frank Lampard??? mmm). With 433, those three players are being watched by 4 opponents. There is very little chance to make a spare man when the opposition hold position. The only spare man is going to be a marauding central defender, which is why Keogh's runs often create problems.

30 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I disagree (because I know more about football than Frank Lampard??? mmm). With 433, those three players are being watched by 4 opponents. There is very little chance to make a spare man when the opposition hold position. The only spare man is going to be a marauding central defender, which is why Keogh's runs often create problems.

The idea is to create space through the monents though, the winger drifts inside full-back overlaps, cm underlaps, it creates total havoc with teams not knowing whether to pass men or or follow them. 

If all three players are successfully tracked then the DM has it back, switch and recycle and keep patient. 

Archived