Weird dreams

Stive Pesley

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top thread. We are getting closer to being able to record dreams using functional MRI scans. This is a video from a few years ago now of reconstructing images from brain activity (not dreams in this case, because it shows an actual video alongside the reconstruction). 

I occasionally have lucid dreams but am out of the habit. Once you know you're dreaming you can do and become anything. When I did it a lot in my 20s I organized trying to meet friends at prearranged times of the night in dream places, but they were hopeless and never turned up. 

I love dreams and might add some to the thread. A book I'm writing at the moment even has a main character who I dreamt (my daughter - as I was waking up I promised to put her in a book to remember her). My dreams are normally fun, but the football ones are the most perfect. I can do no wrong and gave scored hattricks for Derby and England! 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We are getting closer to being able to record dreams using functional MRI scans. 

That would be amazing. 

I have had experiences, not in dreams but in visualisation, where I linked up with someone else and they were able to tell me exactly what I had seen and done. 

i dreamed that i went to bed and fell asleep and started dreaming a beautiful dream full of cheer and good will.  Then i woke up from that dream into a nightmarish reality and when i awoke from that i didn't know if i was coming or going, awake or dreaming

Last night's dream, another vivid one. 

A house I shared with two friends as a student had come on the market, so I decided to go and have a look, for old times' sake.

It was pretty much exactly as we had left it, thirty years ago, apart from the obvious passage of time; same pans in the kitchen, same broken latch on the back door. 

The atmosphere was redolent of the past, and I realised what a lovely, characterful old house it was, and that I would really like to live there again. It so much felt like home, and although I have recently moved, I started wondering how quickly I could put an offer in and get mine up for sale. 

I became eager to look upstairs, wondering if our old rooms would have changed much. I opened the creaky latch door and went up, only to find my friends waiting for me at the top. It turned out they were still living there, and were keen for me to move back in. Between us we could easily buy the house. 

I woke up feeling really excited, until the warmth of anticipation gave way to disappointment, as I gradually realised it was just a dream. I thought of all the charming features the house had, and how lovely it would have been to go there again.

Only after I'd been awake for about an hour did it hit me that no such house even existed. 

That reminds me of a regular recurring dream that I have where I find the key to my old house, and find that the current owners are away somewhere, so I move back in and spend the whole time in a mixed state of excitement to be in my old house and see how it has changed, and anxiety that the actual owners could be back at any minute. I seem to have that one every few months. No idea why as I much prefer my new house!

Anyone else have recurring dreams?

3 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

No idea why as I much prefer my new house

I'm thinking that mine was more to do with letting go of the past than desire for a particular residence. I've moved so many times that houses tend to be associated with particular eras. 

As for recurring dreams, yes, a number of different ones. Some are recurring themes, like dying/ flying, others a specific narrative, like being the suspect in a crime, and some have recurring elements, like people or places. 

30 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

That reminds me of a regular recurring dream that I have where I find the key to my old house, and find that the current owners are away somewhere, so I move back in and spend the whole time in a mixed state of excitement to be in my old house and see how it has changed, and anxiety that the actual owners could be back at any minute. I seem to have that one every few months. No idea why as I much prefer my new house!

Anyone else have recurring dreams?

I have 2 recurring dreams...

I'm at university and in the middle of my finals and there is one exam upcoming for a course that I have literally done no work for, or even attended any lectures. A pretty standard anxiety dream I would have thought.

The other one is a recurring location: A big house & garden. The storylines change but the house details are always the same. It's not somewhere I've ever lived or even visited as far as I can remember but it's very vivid and "real". The house is big to the extent that there are several rooms which we don't use - because we don't need to.

Archived