Weird dreams

Stive Pesley

Maybe just a thread for people to note their weird dreams (those that don't result in a clean pair of PJs being needed), but specifically to start with I was wondering if this is a common thing..

I often have dreams where something happens in the dream that coincides with something happening in the room. Most common example being someone pressing a button, or switching something on that happens at the precise moment the alarm goes off. How could my sleeping brain possibly know to connect the two things?

Anyone else had similar?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of overlapping with the time thread, the 'weirdest' ones I've had have been pretty precise premonitions. Think I might have mentioned them before. 

Other than that, and those that are just churning subconscious stuff, the ones I tend to remember are those with very vivid people or places, but with no seeming connection to everyday life. 

37 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

At the risk of overlapping with the time thread, the 'weirdest' ones I've had have been pretty precise premonitions. Think I might have mentioned them before. 

Other than that, and those that are just churning subconscious stuff, the ones I tend to remember are those with very vivid people or places, but with no seeming connection to everyday life. 

Happens quite regularly I'll dream about having a conversation with someone then in the next couple of days it happens! 

9 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Happens quite regularly I'll dream about having a conversation with someone then in the next couple of days it happens! 

It doesn't count when that person is your mum.?

This has just come up as my memories on Facebook, because they care about me and the memories I share there. They thought I'd like to look back:

Firstly, I was experiencing some kind of epiphany through music. I was listening to something which opened my eyes to a vision of perfect being, like you do. Unfortunately I didn't jot it down. 

Secondly, I was at a football training session run by Jose Mourinho, for whom I have no particular liking. He drew some diagrams on a piece of paper and expected me to run around, but I had really bad asthma and was wearing tights, no shoes and a floaty dress, so it wasn't happening. In the end, we gave up and had a bacon sandwich. 

I can still remember the bacon sarnie with Jose, but the vision of perfect being eludes me. 

19 hours ago, Lambchop said:

At the risk of overlapping with the time thread, the 'weirdest' ones I've had have been pretty precise premonitions.

Ok......so how long was it before you really did have the bacon sarnie with Jose?

Me and Kerry Katona. She was picking heart-shaped decorations off a christmas tree and throwing them on the floor. She exclaimed "It's not me, it's you!". I then replied "You are just getting rid of me because you are scared of losing me!"

I was sitting on the local park with Britney Spears and kissing her. She then pulled away and said "Ewww, have you been eating cheese and onion crisps?". She then said "Ah, that's ok, let's carry on...".

Was at the local supermarket and a young woman checkout assistant said "Them lads over there keep making me say swear words, like 'bum' and 'poo-poo'!" I replied, "You don't look like the sort of girl that would say swear words!".

Was walking through the underground when I noticed a side tunnel going down. Thought it might be a shortcut, avoiding the trains, so decided to go that way. It went on for miles, but I was convinced it would bring me out by a green bridge, which eventually it did. 

Weird bit 1) The bridge and surrounding streets were totally familiar, every shop and paving stone, virtually. There was a strong emotional feeling of connection and being at home, but even in the dream I was trying to work out how I knew the place. I thought maybe I remembered it from a previous dream, because I was aware it wasn't real. 

Weird bit 2) There was a crocodile on the bridge. As a kid, I was so scared of crocodiles, my mum had to tell me they only existed in fairy stories. It tried to bite me, so I just kicked it into the river. 

Weird bit 3) When I crossed the bridge and went to go down the next tunnel, it was cordoned off. An ambulance person told me that someone's heart had exploded, and they were still clearing up the blood, but the person had been taken to hospital and was ok. I looked in the tunnel, and saw bloodstains all over the walls, and a foot long piece of meat hanging from a light fitting.

Woke up at that point, and spent the next few minutes wondering how on earth the person had survived when the shattered remains of their heart had been left in the tunnel. I can still picture it really clearly and it still feels disturbing. I still have the feeling that maybe I should have done something about it. 

Another thing that always perplexes me about dreams - you tend to convince yourself that they are mainly based on old memories, anxieties, fears etc, and for the most part that's true, but every now and again I will have a dream where I meet someone, and I have no idea who they are. They aren't anyone from real life, or even vaguely anything like anyone I know - yet my brain has perfectly constructed them, their face, features, body, clothes, voice, personality. And I can still remember them clearly when I wake up. How and why does your brain do that? Surely it would be easier and quicker to make it someone you know, or make them a faceless nonentity?

This is a fascinating subject to me and I can actually add a bit of science to the discussion as I studied dream interpretation as part of my post grad psychology degree. 

I'll do a couple of free interpretations now just for fun. I'll pick a random one...

21 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I saw a foot long piece of meat

Umm...

Actually I'll leave it.

30 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

ve no idea who they are. They aren't anyone from real life, or even vaguely anything like anyone I know - yet my brain has perfectly constructed them

I've had this so many times, usually in powerful or significant feeling dreams. Sometimes, meeting someone in a dream actually changes the way I feel about my life. I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but it feels to me more like an actual encounter with an existing person or being in some way.

Psychology is essentially a materialistic pseudo science which tries to locate everything in the mind, even archetypes and the collective unconscious. I don't really find that convincing; there are more things in heaven and earth. 

Archived