Tomasz Cywka - Wigan Athletic

derbydan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TOMASZ Cywka is hoping a deal can be struck to make him a Derby County player next season.

The Polish forward has impressed since joining the club towards the end of March on loan from Wigan Athletic.

His contract with Premier League Wigan, where he found his first-team chances limited, expires this summer.

Rams boss Nigel Clough is keen to sign the 21-year-old on a permanent basis but described the situation as "complicated" due to certain clauses in the player's contract with the Latics.

The two parties have met and Derby hope to come to an agreement to take the player without the transfer having to go to a tribunal.

"Everything will be clearer soon but I would like to stay, if Derby want me to," said Cywka, who was an unused substitute for Wigan in their 8-0 hammering at Chelsea yesterday.

"It should be fine but they have to sort it out with Wigan.

"I have really enjoyed my time here. I have played some games and I'm looking forward to next season."

Former Rams boss Paul Jewell was manager at Wigan when they signed Cywka from Polish side Gwarek Zabrze in 2006 but he has made only two senior appearances for the club, both in cup competitions.

Cywka made his Derby debut as a late substitute in the 3-1 home defeat by Ipswich Town on Easter Monday.

He then started the Rams' last four games of the season and was given a standing ovation when he was substituted late in last Sunday's 2-0 victory over Cardiff City at Pride Park Stadium.

"It was great to end the season with a win at home, in front of 30,000 people," said Cywka.

"We wanted to win the game for them and I really enjoyed it.

"Every time, we play to win and it was great to beat one of the top teams in the division.

"It's great if the fans liked the way I played. It will only push me to work even harder and play better for them."

With target men Rob Hulse and Chris Porter injured, Cywka linked up with the fit-again Kris Commons in attack for the first time in a senior game.

"He played well," Cywka added. "He likes to play quick one-twos, which is the sort of stuff I like.

"I think we worked well together."

While his future is decided, Cywka plans to return to his homeland when the squad break up for the summer.

"I will go back to Poland for a couple of weeks and relax with my friends and family," he said.

"Then, we will see what happens."

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/tomasz-keen-stay/article-2135431-detail/article.html

Wigan Athletic midfielder Tomasz Cywka is stranded abroad when he should be completing the peper work on a new Derby County deal.

Tomasz had returned home to Poland following his loan spell to the Rams and was due to return to Pride Park this week to tie up a deal for a permanent transfer.

He is expected to sign as soon as flights from Poland resume in the very near future.

Derby County today continued to assemble their squad for next season by agreeing a deal to bring Tomasz Cywka to Pride Park on a permanent basis.

The Polish U21 international attacker enjoyed a successful loan spell with the Rams towards the end of last season from Premier League Wigan Athletic.

Cywka has agreed a two-year deal with Derby which will become effective from 1 July 2010, moving to Pride Park on a free transfer from the DW Stadium.

Manager Nigel Clough told dcfc.co.uk: "We're delighted to have Tomasz signed up for two years.

"His performances towards the end of the season were impressive and we were delighted with what we saw.

"He instantly struck up a rapport with the supporters who took to Tomasz straight away.

"Tomasz isn't the finished article by any means but he has plenty of talent and potential.

"We're confident he can develop with us and become a very good player for years to come in a Derby County shirt."

Cywka joined Wigan in 2006 after an impressive trial from Polish side Gwarek Zabrze and has represented his country at various youth international levels.

He also spent time out on loan at Oldham Athletic and had been close to breaking into the first-team on a regular basis at Wigan after impressing in the reserves.

After the conclusion of his loan spell with Derby in May Cywka returned to Wigan and was an unused substitute in their defeat to Chelsea on the final day of the Premier League season.

Archived