Time

McRainy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, and definitely easier to visualise than a lot of competing theories but they are all ultimately meaningless. Even if this was proven to be true (which they claim may happen - but stop short of explaining why they think that..)  it wouldn't really make any difference to our lives. They even make time travel sound boring if you can't actually change anything ?

I love things like this - as hard as it is to get my head around it sometimes.

I tend to read books on stuff like this during my lunch break & am currently learning about the origins of the universe / inflation theory and the multiverse.

My work colleague & best mate is a phd physicist and he hates Prof Brian Cox with a passion, for "dumbing down science". For me, he makes it accessible for people like me who are keen to learn but have no inclination or competence in learning via examining complex mathmatical equations like my mate does. The weirdo.

I've been banging on about this since I was 15. Accepting that the idea that 'time passing' is just something humans came up with to make sense of the world is the only way I could start get my head around thinking about how the universe works.

So if this is supposed to be new science then let it be known that I invented this theory in 1994... drunk.

2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

This makes no sense to me at all. Oh how l miss the days when we conversed about privilege. It was just so black and white back then.

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Even if this was proven to be true (which they claim may happen - but stop short of explaining why they think that..)  it wouldn't really make any difference to our lives. 

I think the difference it makes for me is how we conceive of ourselves as mortal and finite beings.

It seems to suggest, if not immortality, then maybe the potential for a consciousness beyond the limitations we currently perceive. 

2 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Accepting that the idea that 'time passing' is just something humans came up with to make sense of the world is the only way I could start get my head around thinking about how the universe works.

I've always intuitively felt that the strictly linear sense of time imposed by the clock is not how it really is. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Not got time to read it right now, will have a look later

There is a time and space in the universe where you’ve already read this. So there’s no need to actually go out of your way to read it, just wait until your in that time / space. 

50 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I've always intuitively felt that the strictly linear sense of time imposed by the clock is not how it really is. 

Unanswerable questions such as 'where did it all begin' and 'but there must have been a time when there was nothing'...

Once you take 'time' out of the equation it starts to make bit more sense.

Still haven't got a frigging clue what's going on like.

5 hours ago, Lambchop said:

You pull on your finger, then another finger, then a cigarette. 

Thanks for the link - Exactly what I suggested in my SpaceX thread, to imply that the value of future lives is as real as present lives. I try to see the Universe in this four-dimensional way. It helps a lot having trained as a mathematician so being used to working in infinite-dimensional vector spaces. 

In many ways time is, though the greatest mystery of modern physics. It always blows my mind to think a positron (antimatter electron) can be represented in a Feynman diagram as an electron travelling backwards in time.

What's it all about, eh? 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

It always blows my mind to think a positron (antimatter electron) can be represented in a Feynman diagram as an electron travelling backwards in time.

Do what?

I wish I understood the physics, but I get the impression the theoretical stuff is mainly speculative modelling, so it might as well be mythology...

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

So its not when we are, its where we are.

Makes sense, if you think of light traveling out through space. There must be somewhere from where you can view our pasts. 

I suppose the rewind and fast forward wouldn't work if it's all happening simultaneously. 

8 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Makes sense, if you think of light traveling out through space. There must be somewhere from where you can view our pasts. 

I suppose the rewind and fast forward wouldn't work if it's all happening simultaneously. 

Yes. If we had a super telescope pointing at Earth that could see in fine detail and is positioned 130 light years away, then we could look down it and watch history unfold before our eyes. We could see who jack the ripper was, and watch him walking home. similarly we could solve any other similar mystery by locating the telescope just the right distance away.

I invented a time machine once. It was based on the relationship between the length of time I spent in the bath and the temperature of the water. According to my calculations, if the bath was frozen solid I would actually have got out before I got in. 

Didn't try it though, as I didn't fancy time traveling naked. 

Archived