Cup valuation

FindernRam

Listening to all the losing Managers expressing relief that they no longer have to waste time on the "lowly" EFL Cup it struck me that something strange is going on.

The EFL and FA Cups have much in common: Knockout drama, Final at Wembley, big shiny cup, poor prize money, more or less the same teams in it.

I know a few non leaguers occasionally meet the big boys, but does this really explain the love for the FA Cup over the EFL?

UEFA seem determined to have even more inter European leagues, on top of the Champions League, the losers league (sorry, UEFA Cup). Will this undermine our domestic cup competitions even more?

I remember RAMS v JUVENTUS because it was a once in a lifetime event. If it was several times a season would it have stuck in my mind?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not really understandable when most clubs don't get either promoted or relegated.

Which is why so managers get sacked so often. Thats the game we're in now. Fight for the top where the money is and as a result it's removed value from the cup.

You don't have to like it to understand it.

It's down to the FL, PL and FA to figure out a way to change it. Giving clubs a route to Europe isn't enough.

23 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I agree the cup v promotion logic completely, but why is the FA valued more highly than the EFL?

Speaking purely from a 45 year old perspective, the FA Cup was always more special, with greater historical significance:

1. The final was on BBC and was an event, with build up shows before the match

2. Non-league giant killings

3. Place in the Cup-Winners Cup - better than UEFA Cup?

4. Wasn't sponsored, unlike some of the dodgy names for the League Cup - Rumbelows, anyone?

Nowadays money is the main issue. The financial benefits of winning or staying in the Premier League are such that neither of the cups can compete for financial clout & as such are always going to be a lower priority for owners & fans. Blimey, just seen this on Wiki:

League Cup winners receive £100,000 prize money (awarded by the Football League) with the runners-up receiving £50,000, considered relatively insignificant to top-flight teams, compared to the £2 million prize money of the FA Cup, which is in turn eclipsed by the Premier League's television money (awarded on final league position) and consequent participation in the Champions League.

Didn't know it was that bad, TBH.

Still think our 4th spot for champions league should go to fa cup winners. At least you are champions of something and not rewarded for finishing nearly a quarter of the way down the table. 

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Still think our 4th spot for champions league should go to fa cup winners. At least you are champions of something and not rewarded for finishing nearly a quarter of the way down the table. 

Almost a quarter… otherwise known as ‘a fifth’ ?

Just rebrand the Champions League to something that makes sense, maybe something like the European Cup, exactly what it says on the tin.

Or actually have a genuine Champions League, scrap the knockout stages and final, full on league where each champion plays each other. No more luck of the draw or warm balls, win the league, lift the trophy.

Archived