Can it get EVEN better?

StarterForTen

We're all basking in the warm glow of a few truly stellar performances at the moment - and rightly so (even Frank says its important to celebrate the successes), but could it get even better? I think maybe it can.

Curtis in for Keogh? Lawrence in for Bennett?

Not trying to bash any player - all have been magnificent - but I reckon those two might make us even stronger in the long run.

And if Frank can crank Waghorn up to full output as well... blimey!

We'd be so scary you'd have to watch them from behind a cushion.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How ducking great is it to have this competition for places!!!  To think we were all clamoring for Huddlestone to be back in the side ASAP, and look how BJ has risen to the challenge.  We've got Lawrence back in from the cold after his suspension, and Josefzoon knocking on the door.  Waghorn still to be given a run in the side, and Marriott achieving lift off.  Not to mention George Evans...

Can we even all agree on our strongest side???

#OPTIONS

Keogh does make the occasional mistake, but I would still rather have him in the team at the moment. 

The team also feels a lot better balanced with Bennett in for Lawrence. If Lawrence was in the team neither Wilson or Mount would have been taking any free kicks either.

My first choice 11 would be:

Carson

Bogle  Keogh Tomori Malone

Bryson    Johnson

Mount

Waghorn/Jozefoon   Nugent  Wilson

If Malone isn't better than Forsyth I don't know why the hell we bought him when Lowe is good enough as a back up option, I thought Forsyth was the weak link in our defence last night he did well going forward but his defensive positioning was awful for both goals. He defends far too narrowly , to the extent that for the Fellani header he was standing in the middle of the goal 6 yards out instead of doing his job and blocking the cross, for the 1st goal he should have stood 3 yards to the right of Lingard to block the passing lane into Mata and just jockeyed instead of diving in. On many occasions Johnson, Mount or Wilson were doing the dirty work down our left hand side whilst Forsyth stood next to our centre backs and watched and didn't affect the game defensively I don't think he made 1 tackle in the whole game. Bennet is more of an impact sub for me, he seems to play better when he comes on for the last 15minutes , Waghorn and Jozefoon are much more clinical in front of goal.

7 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Keogh does make the occasional mistake, but I would still rather have him in the team at the moment. 

The team also feels a lot better balanced with Bennett in for Lawrence. If Lawrence was in the team neither Wilson or Mount would have been taking any free kicks either.

Lawrence should be nowhere near the starting 11 but I think Jozefoon or Waghorn need a start on the right hand side , with Wilson starting on the left week in week out.

9 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Let's not forget we are talking about a starting XI here - the game is a ninety minute affair now and the subs are as important as anything. Marriott scoring last night was a great thing, and then scoring his penalty (I remember thinking, I don't mind losing but please not him to miss). Jofezoon and Mariott are a great couple from the bench - they really help keep the pressure up. If it can get better I'm still getting my head around who the third substitute would be - Wisdom for Bogle does not do anything for us. I know that different games have different needs but Waghorn or Lawrence does make a good option to have if we need to chase a game, Davies / Keogh to shore it up if needed.

8 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

If Malone isn't better than Forsyth I don't know why the hell we bought him when Lowe is good enough as a back up option, I thought Forsyth was the weak link in our defence last night he did well going forward but his defensive positioning was awful for both goals. He defends far too narrowly , to the extent that for the Fellani header he was standing in the middle of the goal 6 yards out instead of doing his job and blocking the cross, for the 1st goal he should have stood 3 yards to the right of Lingard to block the passing lane into Mata and just jockeyed instead of diving in. On many occasions Johnson, Mount or Wilson were doing the dirty work down our left hand side whilst Forsyth stood next to our centre backs and watched and didn't affect the game defensively I don't think he made 1 tackle in the whole game. Bennet is more of an impact sub for me, he seems to play better when he comes on for the last 15minutes , Waghorn and Jozefoon are much more clinical in front of goal.

I cannot remember where he was for the second goal - but for the first one he was in the right place - we were undone by them creating an extra man over really well, if he was not where he were Lindgaard would have had a far easier shot than Mata.

Sorry, but felt that one needed levelling up a bit.

6 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

If Malone isn't better than Forsyth I don't know why the hell we bought him when Lowe is good enough as a back up option, I thought Forsyth was the weak link in our defence last night he did well going forward but his defensive positioning was awful for both goals. 

You do know that we actually beat Man Utd last night? And you want to drop players based on their performance. Seriously?

26 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

My first choice 11 would be:

Carson

Bogle  Keogh Tomori Malone

Bryson    Johnson

Mount

Waghorn/Jozefoon   Nugent  Wilson

What a load of rubbish. I'm sorry but that is complete trash. First goal, if Fozzy "stood 3 yards to the right of Lingard to block the passing lane into Malta" Lingard roles it into the net, Fozzy gets slaughtered by you for not closing down. He had 2 players to contend with, not his fault, there were other players that could have done better but it is pointless pointing it out because it is petty and because of the quality of the opposition, sometimes you just have to applaud the other team. 2nd goal he was where he should have been, covering Tomori he was out of position, due to following his man.

You are so quick to bash Fozzy about his defending and want him out the team that you want to put a LB in that isn't as good as Fozzy defensively ?‍♂️

37 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Lawrence should be nowhere near the starting 11 but I think Jozefoon or Waghorn need a start on the right hand side , with Wilson starting on the left week in week out.

I would agree with this. Right wing is probably one of the only positions where we aren't certain who our best player is, but one thing we can agree on is that it is unlikely to be Lawrence based on performances so far this season. Zoony and Waghorn both deserve a chance though.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

You do know that we actually beat Man Utd last night? And you want to drop players based on their performance. Seriously?

Just because we beat them doesn't mean we don't have 1 or 2 players who could come in and improve the side , I 'm not convinced with forsyth or Bennet starting.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

What a load of rubbish. I'm sorry but that is complete trash. First goal, if Fozzy "stood 3 yards to the right of Lingard to block the passing lane into Malta" Lingard roles it into the net, Fozzy gets slaughtered by you for not closing down. He had 2 players to contend with, not his fault, there were other players that could have done better but it is pointless pointing it out because it is petty and because of the quality of the opposition, sometimes you just have to applaud the other team. 2nd goal he was where he should have been, covering Tomori he was out of position, due to following his man.

You are so quick to bash Fozzy about his defending and want him out the team that you want to put a LB in that isn't as good as Fozzy defensively ?‍♂️

I've watched the first goal again and I stand by what I said Lingard was Johnson's man Mata was fozzys player to mark, if he had left lingard to Johnson like he should have it was never in amillion years a tap in like you said it was a 20 yard shot with Johnson ready to take him out forcing him to shoot first time if mata was marked. Instead mata was left open and he was inside the box with acres of space which equals a guaranteed goal. As I suggested in my post maybe Malone is no better but in that case he is a waste of money considering we had lowe available as back up and Olsson when he returns , you dont spend 3mill on a sub full back in this league unless you have a wolves or forest level of transfer budget.

9 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Just because we beat them doesn't mean we don't have 1 or 2 players who could come in and improve the side , I 'm not convinced with forsyth or Bennet starting.

I think your Bris in disguise as your just as clueless with your comments.You ever heard “why change a winning side” .As for your comments on Lawrence your way off the mark.Rather than call players why don’t you find something positive to say like we have great talented players with cover in all positions of which all are very capable of tackling,passing,scoring and our set piece option has never been so great with Mount,Wilson and Lawrence all fantastic from a dead ball.Leave team selection to the expert Frankie L

26 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I’ve given Forsyth plenty of stick, but he deserves to start and is playing very well. Neither of the other 2 left backs we’ve tried have been anything close to his level at the moment. A level I didn’t think he had in him any longer. 

Forsyth needs and deserves a rest. His performances have been very good recently but we need to remember that he has had two serious injuries. Keep playing him 3 times a week and he’d be more at risk of picking up another serious injury. We need to be more careful with players particularly who have had serious injuries. Our full backs use a lot more energy than they did last season under Rowett. 

32 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I've watched the first goal again and I stand by what I said Lingard was Johnson's man Mata was fozzys player to mark, if he had left lingard to Johnson like he should have it was never in amillion years a tap in like you said it was a 20 yard shot with Johnson ready to take him out forcing him to shoot first time if mata was marked. Instead mata was left open and he was inside the box with acres of space which equals a guaranteed goal. As I suggested in my post maybe Malone is no better but in that case he is a waste of money considering we had lowe available as back up and Olsson when he returns , you dont spend 3mill on a sub full back in this league unless you have a wolves or forest level of transfer budget.

First where did I say tap in? I said roles it in, as in places it into the bottom corner with minimal effort. Johnson is not close enough to Lingard, hence why Fozzy has closed him down.

Look at the still from when Lingard plays the ball, if Fozzy isn't there that is a shot on target, time and space to pick the corner out. Still 1-0 and Fozzy gets slammed by people who can't wait to stick a boot in because he didn't cover. Johnson has no chance of getting a block in where he is. 

Screenshot_20180926-145843.jpg

Archived