Referees

uttoxram75

53 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Theres been talk of Atwell on here..... he’s actually progressed into a top official in the UK. Unfortunately us lot still remember him for a non descript local Derby match nearly a decade ago, and won’t let go thinking he’s awful, even though he had reffed us a few times since.

A non descript local Derby match!

ref !!

thats a straight red!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah you cant knock them i guess.

Im surprised no one has clobbered a ref already,  look at the idiots throwing seats at Rotherham the other week.

I fear it will be away from a game one day, some idiot will post a officials address....

On 25/09/2018 at 18:52, Paul71 said:

No it doesnt.

Yes it does.

Fouls and misconduct are penalised as follows:

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area.

Handling the ball

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with

the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into

consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an

infringement

• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.)

counts as an infringement

• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an

infringement.

54 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Yes it does.

Fouls and misconduct are penalised as follows:

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area.

Handling the ball

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with

the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into

consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an

infringement

• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.)

counts as an infringement

• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an

infringement.

So your saying, if someone stands with your arms spread out wide (making themselves look big), THEN someone plays the ball onto the arm/hand, it won’t be handball? [Extreme example]

You're wrong! The key word in what you quoted was “consideration”. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So your saying, if someone stands with your arms spread out wide (making themselves look big), THEN someone plays the ball onto the arm/hand, it won’t be handball? [Extreme example]

You're wrong! The key word in what you quoted was “consideration”. 

I'm not saying it, I'm quoting from FIFA's website.  The referee must consider that the hand was deliberately moved towards the ball. So, in your example, it shouldn't be handball.

10 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Its probably the likes of you that shout “snap his legs” at u8/u9 matches at opposition players.... (I’ve heard that already this season) and shout at a 15 year old ref to get a grip, and call him a cheat (which I’ve seen this season)

You do talk some absolute rubbish on here about my comments. To the point of being offensive with that one. If I was likely to come up with comments like that, I would do it on here, but never have, because I would never come up with stuff like that.

You might be happy with the standard of officiating, and that is your right, as is your freedom to express your opinions, but you musn't forget that everybody else has their own opinions, and the right to express them in the same way. You had a go at me a few matches ago, but it then subsequently transpired that I wasn't the only one unhappy with the ref and his assistants, just that I was the only one prepared to say so. Apart from the heat of the moment, what about times when the entire stadium literally echoes to the sound of "You twit" which is chanted for ages and ages. Are all of those fans wrong? Or could it be that the officials' decisions have provoked the response?

And no, I didn't have a go at Atwell based on his inept performance in the Derby/Forest match of a few years ago. In actual fact if I had commented on the Manchester United match, his excellent performance would have featured fairly early in my comments (I was on a night-out as an HGV driver, and for some reason posting on the forum from my phone is not an easy job), and by the time I was back, it was too late to comment.

Now for some real rubbish, but why not go for a grin or two: We are already ahead of the game, because for the Manchester United match we got our one good referee per season, and we had half a good Madeley in the previous match as well! And today's referee was fairly good as well, so we've had double our allowance already, and we are only part way into the season! Way hay! 

15 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

I'm not saying it, I'm quoting from FIFA's website.  The referee must consider that the hand was deliberately moved towards the ball. So, in your example, it shouldn't be handball.

There is definitely something about the hand or arm being in an unnatural position or something like that.  Which would be ball to hand but still handball.

9 hours ago, Paul71 said:

There is definitely something about the hand or arm being in an unnatural position or something like that.  Which would be ball to hand but still handball.

You may be right, I often hear T.V. pundits and others saying such things. But I can't find anything similar in the Laws of the Game, and if it ain't there, then it shouldn't be handball.

• 1 month later...
On 29/09/2018 at 11:28, Millenniumram said:

Tbf the last two referees we’ve had have generally been pretty decent aside from the odd bad call. Linesman sometimes get me mind, seem incapable of telling which way a throw should be, granted it goes both ways but still. After a couple of decent refs I’m expecting a performance of the ilk of Norwich at home last season today.

That bold bit...  Giving a throw-in both ways could get ugly...   I keep picturing Jay McEveley v Fo*est!  Didn't that lead to kneegate?       

3 hours ago, David said:

Who knew he spoke like that? And of course Watford didn't get a clear penalty earlier. 

For me the "goal" should be offside because the player the ball almost hit is interfering with play. The keeper cannot know if they're going to touch it or not, so it impacts on the attempt to save the shot. 

Last week on MotD there was an own goal with the defender diverting the ball into the net as part of a desperate attempt to stop the ball reaching the forward behind them at the far post for a tap in. The pundits said the defender should have left it, because the forward would then have been offside. 

No! The forward is interfering with the play and it should be deemed offside even if they don't touch it. The laws and their interpretation are nonsense. Which doesn't help referees. 

Jesus wept, what kind of scum does this.

@Mafiabob said it would happen sooner rather than later. ?

Sometines football and the ***** (the nastiest of nasty swear words) who attach themselves to the game make me ashamed to be a human being.

Ref attacked, see link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46180452?ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport&ns_mchannel=social&fbclid=IwAR2M1_pthq03hDFLO1slrOOp4OQPzUMXlFzRUc38gY6ZAiGzlSLjXXsZbJU

4 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Jesus wept, what kind of scum does this.

@Mafiabob said it would happen sooner rather than later. ?

Sometines football and the ***** (the nastiest of nasty swear words) who attach themselves to the game make me ashamed to be a human being.

Ref attacked, see link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46180452?ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport&ns_mchannel=social&fbclid=IwAR2M1_pthq03hDFLO1slrOOp4OQPzUMXlFzRUc38gY6ZAiGzlSLjXXsZbJU

I don't think we need to get too enraged about what happened in the Irish amateur league. In south america referees have been shot. 

Closer to home, managers don't help by harranging the 4th official throughout the game. Players, managers and coachs can be clearly seen to be abusing the officials every match. Start by tackling that. 

24 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I don't think we need to get too enraged about what happened in the Irish amateur league. In south america referees have been shot. 

Closer to home, managers don't help by harranging the 4th official throughout the game. Players, managers and coachs can be clearly seen to be abusing the officials every match. Start by tackling that. 

Strongly disagree with the first part, I'd be enraged if I saw that anywhere. 

The fact it's in one of the home countries is more shocking South Americans have a history of mass brawls and players and fans attacking wahc other on the pitch.

We've never really had that issue even during the darkest of dark days.

Strongly agree with your second part, irrespective of who it is doing the abusing and yes that includes Nigel. I never understood where that part of him came from. He's improved so much this season but it was needed.

Remember, I was  broight up sitting in dugouts next to his dad and watching his insistence on keeping discipline towards refs.

The worst I ever heard him say durong a game was do your job. It won him a lot of plaudits and made him a lot of friends on that side of the game.

Even when I played I'd make a point of never talking back to a ref. I left teams who had players who couldn't control themselves. Not the kind of lads I want as team mates 

Anyone that abuses any ref or official should be banned/fined (out of theirr own pocket) immediately.

What happened to that ref in Ireland is a step beyond anything or anyone remotely decent.

Did you click the link and see the state of his face ramnut pal?

Archived