Referees

uttoxram75

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I can only really remember the Chelsea game because of the stink that game after it. My point was meant to be that pretty much every side gets benefits from the refs. Real have in the past, but so have Barca. I'm not sure it's as simple to say refs favour Real.

Probably not. But the decisions they got against both Bayern and Juve this year were a joke. And that Vidal red card at the Bernabeu the season before was a shocker. Seems rather suspect UEFA aren’t interested in introducing VAR. I wonder why that is...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Probably not. But the decisions they got against both Bayern and Juve this year were a joke. And that Vidal red card at the Bernabeu the season before was a shocker. Seems rather suspect UEFA aren’t interested in introducing VAR. I wonder why that is...

Oh I agree UEFA needs to put in VAR. That technology worked pretty damn well at the World Cup, all things considered. I see no reason why they wouldn't want to put it in their biggest competition.

38 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Don’t buy the ex pro should be a ref argument....

What’s needed is to mic refs up like rugby. Watch discipline get a lot better then. Too many fans get caught up with the pundits and the leading questions towards managers etc.

They make mistakes..... however 95% of decisions are correct every game roughly. 

Seeing as some teams pass completion alone is c75/80% I think that’s pretty good

But who conducts the study into that 95%? How’s it measured? Any organisation surely aren’t looking at every game over every major league and judging every decision in the 90 minutes as surely that’s a ridiculous waste of time (and dare I say money that could be used into developing referees?)

Anyway, I don’t really have an issue with most refs on a decision basis as I think overall they do as well as humanly impossible. My issue is how refs control the games and players. It’s previously been mentioned I think but the amount of slowing games down with fake injuries, time wasting by goal keepers or players just sometimes having a chat with the ref over nothing I think is the real issue. Refs need more respect but that needs to be earned rather than just presumed, just like every other player on the pitch.

Whilst I agree with the micing up in principle, I go to football to be entertained and mostly go with the ebbs and flows of good/bad decisions. Listening to refs will only serve to rile fans up more as they’ll still see it their way.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

The sooner VAR comes in the better. Officials have proven too many times they're not good enough to officiate without the help. Not sure former pros would make better refs though. The main issue is, with the pressure on in a fast pace situation it's too easy to make a mistake. We have the technology, we just need to implement it.

Or perhaps we just accept that people make mistakes. Most people under a lot less scrutiny and with far less public abuse than referees.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Interesting comment on Sky the other day about the use of VAR in the World Cup Final. The Sky commentator claimed that only in the UK did people think it was the wrong decision to give France the penalty at 1-1 when the ball hit Perisic's hand - and that for the rest of the world it was a clear penalty. I don't know how true this is.

It's all about opinions!

I know its not the point your making David but this is the basic rule of hand ball which most seem to ignore. The hand has to travel to the ball to be hand ball not the ball travelling to the hand.

38 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I know its not the point your making David but this is the basic rule of hand ball which most seem to ignore. The hand has to travel to the ball to be hand ball not the ball travelling to the hand.

No it doesnt.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Or we don't? Why settle for less when we have the technology?

Sod that. 

Which is better? 

Two blokes sat in pub after match..having lost 1-0.

'by jove old chap, that was a mighty fine decision those spiffing var sorts made to award that penalty against us, how marvellous that on viewing for the 8th time in super slow motion the referees were able to get it right '

Or

'ducking ref, what a c u next Tuesday,  never a ducking pen in a million years flippin robbed we were  '

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Sod that. 

Which is better? 

Two blokes sat in pub after match..having lost 1-0.

'by jove old chap, that was a mighty fine decision those spiffing var sorts made to award that penalty against us, how marvellous that on viewing for the 8th time in super slow motion the referees were able to get it right '

Or

'ducking ref, what a c u next Tuesday,  never a ducking pen in a million years flippin robbed we were  '

I'd rather not feel cheated after a game, and have it fair. It's not all about talking points, it's about competitive integrity.

I was chatting about officials with a couple of american friends, both in regards to football and american football in which it is probably of a worse standard. What staggers us is that these sports are multi-billion dollar industries and all of the officials, the people who are responsible for maintaining the structure of the game and to uphold the rules, are all working second jobs!

Admittedly, high level refs in football are paid far more than NFL officials but its still true that most of them (I think high level prem refs earn a high-ish wage (of normal person standards)) are still working second jobs. 

That seems crazy to me.

On 25/09/2018 at 15:18, ilkleyram said:

I thought the ref on Saturday (Andrew Madley I think) had a really good game.  Got some decisions on both sides wrong in my view but let the game flow by playing advantage (our first goal), let some tough but fair tackling go unpunished on both sides, controlled the players and the game and wasn't book happy unlike the ref at Rotherham.  He also smiled a bit.

Trouble is he's a rarity.

One thing I wish they would clamp down on in all leagues and all clubs (including us) is all the petty time wasting that goes on - kicking the ball away 10 yards in the wrong direction after a free kick's been given, ignoring it when it goes past you after the whistle has gone, throwing/kicking  it two inches when not much effort would pass it 10 feet, facing the wrong way at sub time (Will Hughes was a master at that).  They only start hurrying things up when it's 10 minutes to go and then concentrate on the goalie only. It drives me spare (and Scott Carson's another master)

Sorry Mr Ilkley, 

MAdley had a pretty good first half, but reverted to type in the second, giving Brentford virtually everything. Whether he forgot who he was, or got a phone call from the EFL threatening him with his job if he didn't start treating Derby the EFL way I don't know, but there was a total transofrmation in his performance after half time.

12 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Sorry Mr Ilkley, 

MAdley had a pretty good first half, but reverted to type in the second, giving Brentford virtually everything. Whether he forgot who he was, or got a phone call from the EFL threatening him with his job if he didn't start treating Derby the EFL way I don't know, but there was a total transofrmation in his performance after half time.

You don’t half talk some absolute rubbish on here about referees, I’d love to see how you react some of the kid refs on a Sunday morning, they make mistakes..... I’d imagine you’d be telling them how they revert to type, and that the Derbyshire FA are towards Chesapeake u7s.

Its probably the likes of you that shout “snap his legs” at u8/u9 matches at opposition players.... (I’ve heard that already this season) and shout at a 15 year old ref to get a grip, and call him a cheat (which I’ve seen this season)

All in all, I just think your views are from the age of the dinasours..... the referee must be criticised at all costs, they are the pantomime villain..... when nothing could be further from the truth.

Theres been talk of Atwell on here..... he’s actually progressed into a top official in the UK. Unfortunately us lot still remember him for a non descript local Derby match nearly a decade ago, and won’t let go thinking he’s awful, even though he had reffed us a few times since.

Neanderthal comments like yours means refs will always be a easy target, even if we have given them all the help in the world.

One day a official will be attacked etc away from a football field, and everyone in pundit world will give it the big how awful. Yet..... they are the ones who facilitate this by talking about how a ref cost them a game.

Be critical by all means.... but not just for critical sake.

Tbf the last two referees we’ve had have generally been pretty decent aside from the odd bad call. Linesman sometimes get me mind, seem incapable of telling which way a throw should be, granted it goes both ways but still. After a couple of decent refs I’m expecting a performance of the ilk of Norwich at home last season today.

What i dont think is a good thing for referees is ex refs who are making a coin on tv or in the press by commenting on referees decisions. 

Also the likes of Graham Poll admitting he liked the attention from top players and clattenburg admitting he enjoyed seeing spurs implode against arsenal i think it was.

8 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

What i dont think is a good thing for referees is ex refs who are making a coin on tv or in the press by commenting on referees decisions. 

Also the likes of Graham Poll admitting he liked the attention from top players and clattenburg admitting he enjoyed seeing spurs implode against arsenal i think it was.

Totally agree..... but I’d not begrudge them making a few pence though, 

Yeah you cant knock them i guess.

Im surprised no one has clobbered a ref already,  look at the idiots throwing seats at Rotherham the other week.

Archived