Referees

uttoxram75

I never cease to be amazed at referees and linesmen decisions. Every game theres a couple of absolute howlers, not always against us, just in general, but decisions never the less that make you ask how they could ever make that decision. 

I know its hard and I wouldn't fancy doing it but one thing has always puzzled me, why don't the League/FA/Prem/FIFA/EUFA etc, try and persuade ex pros to become officials.

I think Jake Buxton for instance, would be a better judge of its a foul or not than someone who has never played the game at a decent level.

35 year old ex players would be more than fit enough to do it and have more respect from players and managers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I never cease to be amazed at referees and linesmen decisions. Every game theres a couple of absolute howlers, not always against us, just in general, but decisions never the less that make you ask how they could ever make that decision. 

I know its hard and I wouldn't fancy doing it but one thing has always puzzled me, why don't the League/FA/Prem/FIFA/EUFA etc, try and persuade ex pros to become officials.

I think Jake Buxton for instance, would be a better judge of its a foul or not than someone who has never played the game at a decent level.

35 year old ex players would be more than fit enough to do it and have more respect from players and managers.

It would be more like WWE in the penalty box at corners if you put Bucko in charge.

17 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I can't see a problem with the poacher-turned-gamekeeper approach, personally. I would imagine they'd gain respect from the players as well.

The second goal for Arsenal against Everton on Sunday was remarkable in terms of the linesman not giving it offside. There was clear line of sight, a near-deserted penalty area and the goalscorer standing miles offside.

I sometimes think, as here, the officials get carried away in the game, wrapped up in the emotion, and lose their faculties. In the Arsenal Everton game, Arsenal had been under the cosh but had just scored against the run of play and their was a sudden burst of excitement and noise at The Emirates, clearly overcoming the officials.

Several times against us in the past few seasons we've lost a two-goal lead in injury time when the first goal back has been scored in the final minute of that injury time. Yet the referee has then gone on to play 3-5 minutes additional injury time until the opposition scored. It's possibly cost us (or rather Mel) hundreds of millions of pounds.

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The second goal for Arsenal against Everton on Sunday was remarkable in terms of the linesman not giving it offside. There was clear line of sight, a near-deserted penalty area and the goalscorer standing miles offside.

I sometimes think, as here, the officials get carried away in the game, wrapped up in the emotion, and lose their faculties. In the Arsenal Everton game, Arsenal had been under the cosh but had just scored against the run of play and their was a sudden burst of excitement and noise at The Emirates, clearly overcoming the officials.

Several times against us in the past few seasons we've lost a two-goal lead in injury time when the first goal back has been scored in the final minute of that injury time. Yet the referee has then gone on to play 3-5 minutes additional injury time until the opposition scored. It's possibly cost us (or rather Mel) hundreds of millions of pounds.

thought that was solely down to Keogh.........?

I thought the ref on Saturday (Andrew Madley I think) had a really good game.  Got some decisions on both sides wrong in my view but let the game flow by playing advantage (our first goal), let some tough but fair tackling go unpunished on both sides, controlled the players and the game and wasn't book happy unlike the ref at Rotherham.  He also smiled a bit.

Trouble is he's a rarity.

One thing I wish they would clamp down on in all leagues and all clubs (including us) is all the petty time wasting that goes on - kicking the ball away 10 yards in the wrong direction after a free kick's been given, ignoring it when it goes past you after the whistle has gone, throwing/kicking  it two inches when not much effort would pass it 10 feet, facing the wrong way at sub time (Will Hughes was a master at that).  They only start hurrying things up when it's 10 minutes to go and then concentrate on the goalie only. It drives me spare (and Scott Carson's another master)

Don’t buy the ex pro should be a ref argument....

What’s needed is to mic refs up like rugby. Watch discipline get a lot better then. Too many fans get caught up with the pundits and the leading questions towards managers etc.

They make mistakes..... however 95% of decisions are correct every game roughly. 

Seeing as some teams pass completion alone is c75/80% I think that’s pretty good

The sooner VAR comes in the better. Officials have proven too many times they're not good enough to officiate without the help. Not sure former pros would make better refs though. The main issue is, with the pressure on in a fast pace situation it's too easy to make a mistake. We have the technology, we just need to implement it.

Interesting comment on Sky the other day about the use of VAR in the World Cup Final. The Sky commentator claimed that only in the UK did people think it was the wrong decision to give France the penalty at 1-1 when the ball hit Perisic's hand - and that for the rest of the world it was a clear penalty. I don't know how true this is.

It's all about opinions!

Just now, Andicis said:

A certain infamous semi against Chelsea comes to mind. 

That was poorly officiated. Abidal should never have been sent off either.

But a few other decisions which went against Barca which were brushed under he carpet.

United’s goal in the CL final was offside. 

Bayern’s opener in the 4-0 win over Barca was offside. The last goal was a clear foul on Jordi Alba.

Barca’s goal in the 2-1 defeat at Arsenal was ruled out for offside. It wasn’t.

Prior to the infamous Chelsea semi-final, Barca had a blatant penalty turned down in the first-leg. Nobody seems to mention that.

Also in the Inter 3-1 Barca, Inter’s 3rd goal was offside and Barca were denied a clear penalty afterwards.

But people seem to remember only the ‘favourable’ decisions going for Barca during that time. One of the reasons for this is because Pep never blamed the referees or brought up the injustices. They just got on with it.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That was poorly officiated. Abidal should never have been sent off either.

But a few other decisions which went against Barca which were brushed under he carpet.

United’s goal in the CL final was offside. 

Bayern’s opener in the 4-0 win over Barca was offside. The last goal was a clear foul on Jordi Alba.

Barca’s goal in the 2-1 defeat at Arsenal was ruled out for offside. It wasn’t.

Prior to the infamous Chelsea semi-final, Barca had a blatant penalty turned down in the first-leg. Nobody seems to mention that.

Also in the Inter 3-1 Barca, Inter’s 3rd goal was offside and Barca were denied a clear penalty afterwards.

But people seem to remember only the ‘favourable’ decisions going for Barca during that time. One of the reasons for this is because Pep never blamed the referees or brought up the injustices. They just got on with it.

I can only really remember the Chelsea game because of the stink that game after it. My point was meant to be that pretty much every side gets benefits from the refs. Real have in the past, but so have Barca. I'm not sure it's as simple to say refs favour Real.

Archived