The Championship 18/19

David

36 minutes ago, David said:

So let’s play it safe, stay in the Championship. No thanks.

Anyway there is no playing it safe now. The playing it safe or not was during the transfer window, which looked like hands were well and truly tied. 

What will be will be and it’s now down to frank and the boys. I only posted that the top 6 looked a lock out. Don’t know how it come to us get promoted ?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Anyway there is no playing it safe now. The playing it safe or not was during the transfer window, which looked like hands were well and truly tied. 

What will be will be and it’s now down to frank and the boys. I only posted that the top 6 looked a lock out. Don’t know how it come to us get promoted ?

To be honest I haven’t read anything, just caught that one line about not wanting it this year and felt obliged to step and and restore order ?

3 hours ago, Inglorius said:

I'd love that as well. But not at the exclusion of scraping into the playoffs on the last day of the season then scabbing a last minute winner at Wembley after being pummelled by the opposition for 90 minutes.

Now you're just being silly!  As if that would ever happen!  

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

And that’s fine. But they didn’t just chuck silly money at silly signings. They were a bit clever about it.

Cardiff bought their way up cos they were hanging around the play offs for ages. I just worry that we’re turning into them during that period. I always look at them like ‘what a sad little team’, especially when they got overtaken by Swansea. 

Its almost like your in and around the play offs, so it’s not necessarily broke, just need to keep plodding away and we’ll get there one year. Keep throwing money at it, and we’ll get there. I specially remember when they got Bellamy, and was chuckling when they still didn’t get promoted. They were trying to buy their way up in the end, because they’d ran out of ideas, it was desperation and it eventually worked.

I don’t want us to be that. (I was terrified at one point that burton would end up being out Swansea, just to complete the similarities, and get promoted before us). 

Wolves did something a bit different. They were languishing around mid to lower table, then got a bit creative and took the league apart. Other teams have done similar. Where have Norwich come from. Even Leeds haven’t been particularly good over the last few seasons. It’s almost easier to make those more radical decisions when you’re out of the play off picture. 

Frank was our radical decision. But we wouldn’t have taken it if rowett hadn’t gone. We wouldn’t sack rowett, he got us in the play offs, so we’d keep plodding on, maybe scraping 6th and going out in the semis again. Year after year, de ja ducking vous. His departure meant we could try something a bit different: enter frank. 

Hes actually over achieving this year. We may well end up in 6th and go out in the semis, but not as part of the same old same old, and as good as it’ll ever get, but as part of a season where we are supposed to end 8-10th, and then build for a proper title push next season. 

It’s like billy getting promoted in the first season of a 3 year plan. It kind of throws the plan off the rails a bit. Not that you’d throw the final cos it’s not part of the plan, you take the opportunity with both hands of course. 

I just kind of hope that if we do finish 6th, we stay the course with the rebuild. We don’t change the plan to try to try to steadyvthe ship and aim for 6th again next season. I’ve got faith that this season is all building to something very special next season, if we don’t get promoted (and if we do get promoted, then mission accomplished either way). 

Cardiff were below Wolves under Slade before Warnock came in. I half understand where you're coming from. But I wonder if that's from the pain felt last time, when we went up with no plan and no money to invest, and an over-achieving side.

2 hours ago, Moist One said:

Cardiff were below Wolves under Slade before Warnock came in. I half understand where you're coming from. But I wonder if that's from the pain felt last time, when we went up with no plan and no money to invest, and an over-achieving side.

I was thinking of before that, when they went up the last time before this time. Not that I’ve followed Cardiff avidly, so I could be wrong, but they were in a similar position to us, in and around the play offs for what seemed like season after season, then finally got themselves to the premier league. Then got instantly relegated, and they were never really the same again, just another alsoran, til warnock came along and shithoused another promotion for them. 

2 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Bristol 2 down and Leeds 1 down currently You can’t script this championship. 

Marching on to....... nowhere.

Not wishing to jinx Leeds bad luck but since spygate, they really have gone off the boil a bit.

Leeds looking shaky all of a sudden, maybe the massive pressure to go up is hurting them.

They've literally bet the house on promotion this season, massive wages paid to the manager and his crew, couldn't afford to do much in January, and a possible sell off of the majority owners shares should they not go up, and reasonable offers invited for the playing squad too should they not make it.

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

After Bristol's defeat can I assume their forum is full of 'Sack Johnson' and 'There's always next season' threads?

That depends I guess on whether Johnson's team has been set up to play a particularly turgid brand of football, introducing random players into the team who previously haven't had a look in and blaming defeats on conceding the first goal. 

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

That depends I guess on whether Johnson's team has been set up to play a particularly turgid brand of football, introducing random players into the team who previously haven't had a look in and blaming defeats on conceding the first goal. 

Do you ever have a positive slant on anything to do with Dcfc? 

17 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Leeds looking shaky all of a sudden, maybe the massive pressure to go up is hurting them.

They've literally bet the house on promotion this season, massive wages paid to the manager and his crew, couldn't afford to do much in January, and a possible sell off of the majority owners shares should they not go up, and reasonable offers invited for the playing squad too should they not make it.

They've lost lemar roofe for the season with injury so that's a good chunk of their goal threat gone...

Archived