The Championship 18/19

David

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having wanted Dean Smith here, I’m interested to know how he gets on witjout Brentford’s structure in place.

We all know Brentford have their own recruitment policy and methods, and Dean Smith took over a team who already played a set way and boasted plenty of quality.

Now we’ll find out how good he is as a coach, and whether he will change Villa’s playing style. 

There will also be pressure to make an inmediate impact. It’s a brave move from Smith, especially as Brentford looked easily capable of making the top 6 this season.

45 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Having wanted Dean Smith here, I’m interested to know how he gets on witjout Brentford’s structure in place.

We all know Brentford have their own recruitment policy and methods, and Dean Smith took over a team who already played a set way and boasted plenty of quality.

Now we’ll find out how good he is as a coach, and whether he will change Villa’s playing style. 

There will also be pressure to make an inmediate impact. It’s a brave move from Smith, especially as Brentford looked easily capable of making the top 6 this season.

Yeah, I really hope it doesn’t all go horribly pear shaped for him (I don’t know how to do the sneaky emoji, but if I did, I’d put it here). 

Nothing against Dean Smith, I’d love him to do well and become one of hopefully a handful of good British coaches coming through. But I can’t stand Villa, so unfortunately I can’t wish him well while also wishing relegation on Villa. 

8 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Bookies don't come up with odds based on what they actually think our chances are. It's just based on where the betting money is going.

In fact that's exactly what they do, adjusting for their profit margin of course. If that weren't the case how would they lay odds before any bets have been made?  I'm pretty sure nobody bets until the odds have been set in the first place.

They alter the odds based on betting patterns obviously and they may take into account predicted betting patterns before setting the odds if they think something will be an attractive bet to punters.  But that's not going to be the case for Derby's chances of making the play-offs in the Championship. 

So it would have been more correct if i said the odds quoted on the Bet365 website suggest we have a 28.5% chance of making the top 6 (not adjusting for the profit margin) rather than the bookies themselves, but it's not true to suggest that bookies don't consider our chances when laying the odds in the first place.

Back in 2011 I woke up one morning having had a particularly lucid dream in which the Mighty Rams secured promotion with a win on the last day of the season giving us 86 points in total. Some other buggers were champions but the second auto spot was ours. Suffice to say I was a tad grumpy when woke from my slumber and realised it was all just a dream but I don't have a cat so no foul, no harm. The next day I signed up on here and I've been irritating the pish out of anyone I perceive to be a negative **** (and probably a good few others) ever since. 

15 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

This exactly.  I fell in love with my local team Derby County when I was a little boy in short trousers in 1968. I have lived through the many highs and lows ever since. I always look forward to the game, If we are not that good I always hope we can play above ourselves and snatch a win. If we are good I naturally love the euphoria and satisfaction of winning. I am not in a hurry to tear apart whoever didn't do well I prefer to focus on what went right, I really don't see the satisfaction on focusing on the negatives unless for some its a chance to look knowledgeable, to be a pundit if you like. The thought of sitting here coldly predicting why we are going to lose or struggle is, if I'm honest completely foreign to me. Every next game we are going to win, every player is going to play out their skin...…….What's the point of bothering otherwise.

On a general point all the over analysis we seem to have on TV these days is getting boring. I have noticed on MOTD that the minutes of games shown is reducing and the minutes devoted to punditry is increasing.  Its almost as if punditry and transfer windows have replaced the actual game. I'll never fall out of love with football, and Derby County in particular, but I sure as heck are falling out of love with the way its presented.

Love this post - what you've described is me all over. Dare to dream or go home, simply put, and I'll never change. COYR

On 10/10/2018 at 11:20, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

This exactly.  I fell in love with my local team Derby County when I was a little boy in short trousers in 1968. I have lived through the many highs and lows ever since. I always look forward to the game, If we are not that good I always hope we can play above ourselves and snatch a win. If we are good I naturally love the euphoria and satisfaction of winning. I am not in a hurry to tear apart whoever didn't do well I prefer to focus on what went right, I really don't see the satisfaction on focusing on the negatives unless for some its a chance to look knowledgeable, to be a pundit if you like. The thought of sitting here coldly predicting why we are going to lose or struggle is, if I'm honest completely foreign to me. Every next game we are going to win, every player is going to play out their skin...…….What's the point of bothering otherwise.

On a general point all the over analysis we seem to have on TV these days is getting boring. I have noticed on MOTD that the minutes of games shown is reducing and the minutes devoted to punditry is increasing.  Its almost as if punditry and transfer windows have replaced the actual game. I'll never fall out of love with football, and Derby County in particular, but I sure as heck are falling out of love with the way its presented.

I go to every game expecting us to play brilliantly and win handsomely, every game is going to be like Charlie smashing a hat trick against Real Madrid in my mind when the reality often turns out to be Theo missing a sitter against Doncaster.....dunna matter, being a Derby fan, being part of the amazing family of sheepshaggers (we know who we are!), being part of the ups and downs is all that matters.

Lets not worry about next season, its all about getting behind Frankie and enjoying the here and now. 

10 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Taking a look at Wales v Spain. Harry Wilson played sort of 10 role but subbed off at ht having achieved the square root of taff all.

Tom lawrence on bench but not on yet.

Wales look a shadow of the team in 2016.

Bit racist if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Shuff264 said:

Tuned into the Ireland game to watch Keogh, I'm instead being treated to Ireland playing some sort of 3-6-1 formation with Cyrus Christie at centre mid... 

I just came on here to say exactly that, thought I had his shirt number wrong when I saw number 3 in the centre circle...

Archived