The Championship 18/19

Day

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/09/2018 at 18:37, Bris Vegas said:

I actually came top three for the past two seasons in the Rolls Royce dcfc prediction. Top three out of 30+ participants. Not bad going. Ths season I'm doing bad though, keep predicting Derby wins and they let me down!

Unlikely to win any more games mate. Our season finished back in August.

8 hours ago, 86 points said:

Why a cabbage? Surely an slightly spongy, out of date potato would be more appropriate, not to mention easier to lob over a distance.

The sign of failure in Crackerjack? If you’re old enough....

1 hour ago, archram said:

The sign of failure in Crackerjack? If you’re old enough....

The name rung a bell so after a swift Google I'm up to speed. Quite possible I suppose. A protest on the one hand but also an homage to a time when you could throw cabbages at children without being sued or imprisoned. Those were the days.... ?

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We’re still in with a shot of winning a few more games. Sadly top 6 looks way beyond us this season.

Way beyond us huh? OK, so lay me a bet at 4/1, for charity or for sh1ts and giggles, your choice. As per your earlier posts in this thread, you are the sports market predictions master so you'll doubtless have no issue putting your money where your mouth is. £500 OK with you, if not what is? I'm deadly serious by the way. 

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

Way beyond us huh? OK, so lay me a bet at 4/1, for charity or for sh1ts and giggles, your choice. As per your earlier posts in this thread, you are the sports market predictions master so you'll doubtless have no issue putting your money where your mouth is. £500 OK with you, if not what is? I'm deadly serious by the way. 

Why would I do that being a Derby fan? You think I'd want to sit there wanting Derby to lose each week? I can understand those that lay against winning a playoff final, but what you're proposing is madness.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why would I do that being a Derby fan? You think I'd want to sit there wanting Derby to lose each week? I can understand those that lay against winning a playoff final, but what you're proposing is madness.

No stress Bris. Just thought since you've already written off our chances of the play-offs there'd be no conflict of interest nor any need to will Derby to lose and that maybe you'd like to profit from your insights. 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

We’re still in with a shot of winning a few more games. Sadly top 6 looks way beyond us this season.

For top 6 to be way beyond us you must know of at least 7 or 8 teams that are going to finish above us.

Not saying you're wrong but look forward to seeing who these teams are and why they are so certain to finish above us.

Will be good to have a look back at this post in 8 months time.

21 hours ago, 86 points said:

The name rung a bell so after a swift Google I'm up to speed. Quite possible I suppose. A protest on the one hand but also an homage to a time when you could throw cabbages at children without being sued or imprisoned. Those were the days.... ?

The cabbages were given to kids who got questions wrong in the final game. 2 kids each stood on a podium thing and were asked alternate questions. if they answered correctly they got a game/toy prize, an incorrect answer got a cabbage. they had to hold everything building up a pile of prizes and/or cabbages. First one to drop their pile of stuff lost and was led away weeping with a crackerjack pencil as consolation whilst don maclean and peter glaze cracked jokes and ed "stewpot" stewart looked bemused.

There was also something from when i was properly little called "Cabbages and Kings" but I can't remember much about that apart from a bit of animation where cartoon heads would revolve 360 degrees Exorcist style and then turn into a cabbage.

1970s kids TV was a feast of intellectual learning......?

42 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

The cabbages were given to kids who got questions wrong in the final game. 2 kids each stood on a podium thing and were asked alternate questions. if they answered correctly they got a game/toy prize, an incorrect answer got a cabbage. they had to hold everything building up a pile of prizes and/or cabbages. First one to drop their pile of stuff lost and was led away weeping with a crackerjack pencil as consolation whilst don maclean and peter glaze cracked jokes and ed "stewpot" stewart looked bemused.

There was also something from when i was properly little called "Cabbages and Kings" but I can't remember much about that apart from a bit of animation where cartoon heads would revolve 360 degrees Exorcist style and then turn into a cabbage.

1970s kids TV was a feast of intellectual learning......?

The time has come the Walrus said , To talk of many things, Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, And cabbages and kings.

Lewis Carroll The Walrus and the Carpenter - often quoted. Today’s English Literature lecture!

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

For top 6 to be way beyond us you must know of at least 7 or 8 teams that are going to finish above us.

Not saying you're wrong but look forward to seeing who these teams are and why they are so certain to finish above us.

Will be good to have a look back at this post in 8 months time.

I think there are more prepared teams than us. Teams that have been building longer, and are more in line with their manager’s idea of playing style.

I look at Shefd Utd and don’t necessarily think they have a better squad of players, but they’ve been playing their way much longer and each know their roles well.

Derby are in transition. Half the players we have now won’t be here next season. We’ve just gone from a totally different style under Rowett and some won’t be able to hack Lampard’s playing style, like Tom Lawrence for instance.

It’ll take a year or two for us to get there, with next season potentially being worse than this one. 

I think we’ll do well to finish top 10 this season. I think we’ll generally play well, will even have a few Brentford type performances along the way which will make you think we’re on the right track, but we’ll suffer from inconsistency and we’ll also have repeat games/results similar to Bolton and Millwall.

53 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes. Because what Championship club would take a risk on appointing a famous ex-player in his first ever managerial role? 

Have I missed something though? How can terry now be favourite for the manager’s role (now Henry’s going to Monaco), if he’s not got his badges yet, and that’s why he was going to be Henry’s assistant in the first place. 

Also, I’d love it if they were a double team, but only if John Terry changed his first name to Henry.

Archived