Phone signal at Pride Park

loweman2

I’m on EE. I can receive texts at the match but internet is always poor, especially at half time.

3G/4G is poor at most grounds. The worst stadium signal problems I’ve had lately was at Leicester last week (at the England game). Couldn’t get a signal at times and no internet at all. My friend had 4 bars but no internet. Don’t think I’ve seen that before.

As people have been saying though it does make you concentrate on the match which is good.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

You’re there to watch the game.

100% what a pointless thread. Who cares? A ST holder woman who sits in front of me who goes on her own to every game, plays on her phone the whole game......why bother going? If my nearest and dearest need to contact me in an emergency, they can contact the club and put a PA announcement out for me FFS..

It its bad, i do like to check the scores at half time and read a few posts on here telling me how bad we have been.

But if i cant its not the end of the world.

2 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

100% what a pointless thread. Who cares? A ST holder woman who sits in front of me who goes on her own to every game, plays on her phone the whole game......why bother going? If my nearest and dearest need to contact me in an emergency, they can contact the club and put a PA announcement out for me FFS..

Mate pointless to you @Remy the hare but some of us like to place a small wager on other games being played, with the aid of modern technology (and a signal) it is possible to end the bet early and collect the “accumulated”pot, as so many goals are scored in the last fifteen minutes this can be the difference between a few hundred quid or nothing.

that is my only reason, I only ever put on two bets for £3 or £4 each but normally base it on the outcome of eight matches or so so the winnings are quite often over £1,000, I would like to think that over the years I am well up on the bookies but I never go above the allotted bets, I do not think that I have an addiction and when ever I win I draw the funds out and put them into a savings account or maybe feed my adidas trainer problem.

so to you if it’s a pointless thread after you have read this as I have tagged you for you attention then maybe stick to the more football related threads, but in my defence the subject matter was heavily hinted at in the thread title !

over and out !

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I wanted 5 pints of Pedigree and had to settle for 3, and 2 pints of Hobgoblin. to rub salt in the wound there was no Gin Bar available in the South Stand today aaaaaannnndddd, I couldn't email the club to complain because there was no ducking signal.

You're right fella, never would have happened at the BBG...

*Comment delete as per forum rules.

8 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If you simply must know the scores do what my grandfather used to do and carry a whacking great battery powered wireless to the match and stick that on at half time.

I am sure somebody with a £1000 phone will be clever enough to see if it has a built in radio! My better half tunes to RD to avoid listening to the two crones behind us discussing their medical procedures all match--other station are available

2 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I am sure somebody with a £1000 phone will be clever enough to see if it has a built in radio! My better half tunes to RD to avoid listening to the two crones behind us discussing their medical procedures all match--other station are available

How do you cash out on a bet using a radio?

1 minute ago, David said:

How do you cash out on a bet using a radio?

If I knew what cash out was I'd probably know, I won a 2nd divi on the pools back in the 70's, apart from a lottery syndicate at work I've never gambled since.

My neighbour spends most of his weekends on the internet, betting on anything that moves (or if its his horse doesn't). I bet he knows how to cash out. BUT as he still lives next to me, he has not cleaned up yet. He never seems very happy so I say when the fun stops etc. He gets very rude then!

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Mate pointless to you @Remy the hare but some of us like to place a small wager on other games being played, with the aid of modern technology (and a signal) it is possible to end the bet early and collect the “accumulated”pot, as so many goals are scored in the last fifteen minutes this can be the difference between a few hundred quid or nothing.

that is my only reason, I only ever put on two bets for £3 or £4 each but normally base it on the outcome of eight matches or so so the winnings are quite often over £1,000, I would like to think that over the years I am well up on the bookies but I never go above the allotted bets, I do not think that I have an addiction and when ever I win I draw the funds out and put them into a savings account or maybe feed my adidas trainer problem.

so to you if it’s a pointless thread after you have read this as I have tagged you for you attention then maybe stick to the more football related threads, but in my defence the subject matter was heavily hinted at in the thread title !

over and out !

Fair enough @loweman2 I don’t bet. Perhaps the woman in front of me is texting ray winston as well? Consider myself reprimanded. 

P.S - what would Cloughie have made of in play betting and cashing out?

39 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

what would Cloughie have made of in play betting and cashing out?

I see this wheeled out a lot. Why is Brian Clough used as the barometer of what is or isn’t acceptable in modern day football?

He’s used as a stick for people to push their own beliefs as his own. 

I did ask about crowd Wifi when I attended the development sessions for the new website and was told that it would be astronomically expensive for a club with our number of supporters. 

I don't know if it's true or not, but I do notice at away games that it's much easier to get a signal in grounds where there are fewer fans and one or two of them do have a public Wifi. 

We should go back ţo the seventies method for half time scores where a bloke comes out just before the start of the second half with loads of numbers under his arm. He then places them next to the letters on the wall In  front of the paddock and then you check your programme to see which letters correspond to which other fixtures.

Progress, humbug!?

It’s not about your phone...

It is entirely possible to build good networks for fans at stadiums and it’s been done at lots of sports venues everywhere. It’s not overly expensive but needs context. The reason I know this is the company I work for has supplied kit for many across the world.

On match day Clubs want 2 main things for their network investment; knowledge about the customer (fan) and the ability to make money. The Club will know all about you as a fan from your ST so no real return there. So, how to make money. Firstly it’s unlikely you will pay as most see it as a free utility, therefore most fans will look for a mobile signal instead. Who pays for hotel WiFi today, to be asked just makes you angry.

As we’ve established, mobile 3/4g contention is a big issue as is 28,000 signal blocking bags of water at a busy home game. Also, if you connect via mobile the Clubs see zero benefit as they just don’t see you. Most mobile operators network share, Tesco, Virgin, Sky etc piggyback on someone else’s network and the big guys have consolidated onto just a couple of radio networks as it’s just so expensive. So lots of contention and lots of signal issues with no club motivation to resolve. Also, if I’m an operator I’m not increasing my capacity for an average spike in demand of 30 x 90 mins annually.

As for WiFi, great coverage and throughput is technically super easy but there has to be an exchange of value with the fan. If you won’t pay for it, will you spend more on match day in exchange for WiFi? This is more than the just signal itself, would you download an app and receive ads in the exchange? Would you order and pay for your half time pint and be upsold to a pie? This means more investment by the club to not only build the connectivity but to create a mechanism to make money and infrastructure to create supply and meet demand. This requires thinking and investment and then the cost of building a media strategy to take advantage. The truth is some have done it with success, some less so and for others it’s early days in investigating the opportunity.

I’m sure it will come but it needs some thought...

I have found this very informative and have observed many differing opinions, one question has been answered and that is that it’s not just my phone, but I do not understand why for some people they are fine.

lets hope that thing improve whether it’s technology or the club spending money or whether the club improves things and requests us to pay for the service, fingers crossed.

cheers guys ?

Archived