Sky

David

Our sky + box suddenly over the weekend seems to have lost over half the channels. No consistent pattern as to which ones.  Just get a "your box isn't receiving a signal" message. 

For example film 4 works, film 4+1 doesn't. 

Tried following the online stuff which didn't work and when I tried ringing got a message that there was a 20 min wait to get a call answered. 

They are shocking. Now can only get mainstream channels in freeview. 

It's only a bog standard 40 quid a month but still.....?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Our sky + box suddenly over the weekend seems to have lost over half the channels. No consistent pattern as to which ones.  Just get a "your box isn't receiving a signal" message. 

Tried following the online stuff which didn't work and when I tried ringing got a message that there was a 20 min wait to get a call answered. 

Turn off your sky box, wait an hour and try again ?

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

this happened to me cos their are two cables in the back, unscrew both and swap them over, make sure they are very tight when screwed back in.

If Sky are switching off the SD channels they will be saving money all round,freeing up transmitters in the satellites (each one costs to rent), Not having to degrade the HD signal down to SD.. Saving on ground station transmission costs. 

The cynic in me says those very same transmitters will be re-tasked for UHD and Sky will ask for even more dosh.

PS I have a 49" Sony capable of 4k. I have watched a few Amazon Prime 4k shows, like the Grand Tour, but haven't really felt there was much improvement over normal HD, so Sky's ludicrous deal tying UHD to multi -room isn't going to work with me. 

3 hours ago, Moist One said:

this happened to me cos their are two cables in the back, unscrew both and swap them over, make sure they are very tight when screwed back in.

Surely by doing this the original programme will come on an hour before it is due. I.E Film 4 -1

(On fire today) ?

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

You seriously need to ring them and say you'll leave unless they halve your bill: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/haggle-with-sky-existing-customer-tips/

Yep. Have full Sky Q with sports and movies and the multi room add on for UHD and pay £34 a month. Don’t think I’ve ever paid full price, when I go to cancel at the end of my offer, they just renew it. 

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Yep. Have full Sky Q with sports and movies and the multi room add on for UHD and pay £34 a month. Don’t think I’ve ever paid full price, when I go to cancel at the end of my offer, they just renew it. 

is that for real? Knowing my luck im still paying £2 per month for that useless magazine they stopped sending about 5 years ago....?

9 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

is that for real? Knowing my luck im still paying £2 per month for that useless magazine they stopped sending about 5 years ago....?

Yeah. You’re more valuable to them as a subscriber in their figures than the money you give them. That’s how they sell advertising, based on those figures. 

Just cance and you’ll get some offers come flooding in the closer you get to your cut off date. The highest is around 65% which is what I’m on.

10 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Yeah. You’re more valuable to them as a subscriber in their figures than the money you give them. That’s how they sell advertising, based on those figures. 

Just cance and you’ll get some offers come flooding in the closer you get to your cut off date. The highest is around 65% which is what I’m on.

I’ll caveat that by saying you must be prepared that you may lose the service. I always ask for a reduction when my contract is up, citing that new customers shouldn’t get a better deal than someone who has been with them since day 1, and always get a reduction.

However, I have also know people who threaten to leave, and sky have not done a thing about it, they then end up moaning that they have no sky to watch and have to pay reconnection fees if they want it back. Whilst I always advise people to go for the discount, and I’m sure in most cases people get it, be prepared that’s not always the case .

16 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I’ll caveat that by saying you must be prepared that you may lose the service. I always ask for a reduction when my contract is up, citing that new customers shouldn’t get a better deal than someone who has been with them since day 1, and always get a reduction.

However, I have also know people who threaten to leave, and sky have not done a thing about it, they then end up moaning that they have no sky to watch and have to pay reconnection fees if they want it back. Whilst I always advise people to go for the discount, and I’m sure in most cases people get it, be prepared that’s not always the case .

You generally don’t get offers if you’ve turned it off in your sky account settings too. 

Also, I let mine lapsed and they reconnected me and I didn’t have to pay a reconnection that time. Obviously your mileage may vary but it’s well worth doing. They can reconnect you in seconds if worst comes to worse. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you download the Sky app now on iOS or Android they have a new VIP page, you get a free film from Sky Store to download and keep.

Just picked up Deadpool 2.

Not sure if you get a different selection or offer for how long you’ve been with them.

99005FE7-7058-4279-A7DB-B8FB86F4A70E.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2018 at 19:53, David said:

If you download the Sky app now on iOS or Android they have a new VIP page, you get a free film from Sky Store to download and keep.

Just picked up Deadpool 2.

Not sure if you get a different selection or offer for how long you’ve been with them.

99005FE7-7058-4279-A7DB-B8FB86F4A70E.png

You do. I’m platinum, I got a few things including the extended sky go for free, which was costing me £5 a month to let my mum have access). My sister is diamond, and she got the full sky q package for no extra. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a deal going on at Sky right now if you have Sky Q, you can get Netflix (Ultra HD package/4 devices) + Sky Boxsets for £10pm

Netflix Ultra HD package is £9.99 a month anyway, so if you have that, may as well pay the extra penny, let Sky take over the payment and throw you in boxsets for free.

Sky will link your existing Netflix account so you won't lose all your profiles etc. and it's on a rolling contract so you can cancel anytime with 31 days notice, they bill you for 2 months from the start as usual.

18 hours ago, TimRam said:

Get now tv and sky sports 24 hr pass for £7.99 then get some mates round for the Derby games to share cost.

And dont forget can be watched on two devices at one time so another way to spread the cost.

19 hours ago, David said:

Bit of a deal going on at Sky right now if you have Sky Q, you can get Netflix (Ultra HD package/4 devices) + Sky Boxsets for £10pm

Netflix Ultra HD package is £9.99 a month anyway, so if you have that, may as well pay the extra penny, let Sky take over the payment and throw you in boxsets for free.

Sky will link your existing Netflix account so you won't lose all your profiles etc. and it's on a rolling contract so you can cancel anytime with 31 days notice, they bill you for 2 months from the start as usual.

I just had to renegotiate my contract. Same package as before, which includes box sets for £4 a month. So they explained, at any time I’ll be able to add Netflix for an extra £6. Tempting. 

Archived