Sign in to follow this  
Boycie

v Brentford (H) Match Thread

A few thoughts about the game. Some of this is the BrewDog speaking, but still...

I haven't enjoyed 45 minutes of football as much as that first half since 13/14. It was almost like the first minute goal was irrelevant. We just played as though it hadn't happened, and in the remaining 89 minutes delivered one of the trademark 3-0 home wins that characterised (much of) that glorious season.

All the hype about Mason Mount... is true. What a player. Technique, time, strength, vision and goal threat. He is going to be remembered as England's greatest midfielder since Gascoigne.

Bogle - ought to make his England debut on the same day as MM. I really mean that. Will Hughes is the only player I have ever seen who was as accomplished aged 18.

Wilson - I thought until today that he was a bit of a mardy kid. Now I can see he can play too. He was electric first half. Disappointed that he didn't pass when he was through after the break - would have been a certain 4-1. Lamps alluded to it in his interview on RD. He'll learn.

Johnson - I have never been a fan. Somehow he has become a better footballer. It can only be the coaching. Wow.

Tomori and Keogh - Davies must be preparing for an extended spell on the bench. Never saw that coming.

Forsyth - I'm just delighted for him. He must have thought he was finished at Derby. He's back.

Best of all, it was such a great performance, and Bryson was the beating heart of the team. Received wisdom says he's a player who is "everywhere". Today he was. Deserved MOTM without a doubt, and I couldn't be happier about it.

What's not to like about the Lampard era? He has bonded with the fans already. His daughter has been born in Derbyshire. He is bringing the best out of Bennett and Nugent. Love it.

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

I refuse to believe that Bennett weighs only 64kg, being 6kg lighter than Harry Wilson. He’s built like a machine

High grade Titanium alloy borrowed from RR to make one of our own 😎

One or two have alluded to it but a shout out from me for Fikayo Tomori. What a good player he is. So good on the ball and quite an athlete. All the focus is on Mount understandably but this boy is also going to the top. Hope its with us but I doubt it. 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

Young Mount is already some player and when he  fills out and becomes stronger then he will be unplayable in the future.With luck with injuries then Chelsea and England are going to be  blessed.

In the meantime what a talent for our young academy players to be around strive to become.

Edited by Beagle

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

One or two have alluded to it but a shout out from me for Fikayo Tomori. What a good player he is. So good on the ball and quite an athlete. All the focus is on Mount understandably but this boy is also going to the top. Hope its with us but I doubt it. 

Very happy to be proven wrong on him after the Leeds and Millwall debacle. After a poor loan spell at Hull (playing out of position it seems), he has been very impressive here. 

34 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

I called Lampard out earlier today for ..

a) .. Not playing Huddlestone

b) .. Playing Nugent instead of Marriott

and

c) Letting Martin go on loan

So what happened today ? Bradley Johnson had a blinder, and Nugent did well and scored ! 

However, I still stand by my belief that we will need Huddlestone and Marriott in the longer run, and it was a mistake to let Martin go. Why ? Because although today was our best performance by a mile, it was against another ‘good footballing’ team in Brentford, a team that allows us to play on an equal footing. When we come up against a team such as Rotherham or Blackburn who won’t (or can’t) compete on a level playing field of free flowing football, then we haven’t got the craft or guile to find a way through.

I didn't see the Rotherham game so can't comment, but I watched the Blackburn game on RamsTV and I didn't feel the craft and guile to break them down was missing tbh.

It felt like one of those games that if you played it 10x, we'd win 8, lose 1 and draw 1.

Even their manager was full of praise for the way we attempted to counteract their style.

We're still in the infancy of the Lampard era, I'd bet we will find our way around such teams more often than not moving forward.

Whether we'll find the solution quick enough to really push for automatic promotion this season I couldn't really say, but we've kind of misfired our way into a position where we're 2 points off top, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Bit of a late analysis but that first 30 was some of the best football I've ever seen a Derby side play. To play with that intensity for the entire first half and to cut open a very good Championship side as many times as we did was fantastic to see.

It reminded me of the Leeds performance, except this time we were the ones doing the high pressing rather than being bullied and cut apart. Bielsa gets huge plaudits for that but Lampard deserves them too. He's managed to create a style of management that he is used to as a top level footballer and one that is entertaining. I've never understood the likes of Rowett who has the sole intention of doing the basics and nothing more, winning games through dire football. The style is the biggest and best difference between this season and last and I cannot wait to see where Lampard can take us. 

If we can start to do that on a weekly basis away as well as home, we will be right at the top come May. Also, really good to see Bryson, Johnson and Forsyth on the top of their games today. Each one has struggled at times over the last few weeks and months but they are still first team Championship players. A word for Tomori too, who I'm convinced will end up in midfield by the end of the season.

🐏

After Tuesday I was happy with the performance, and then the team just went and topped it.

Carson - no chance with the goal, an excellent save 1st half, did really well not to push it in to the path of the on rushing striker.

Bogle - not quite as good as Tuesday but still brilliant. Can see him scoring soon. 

Keogh - captain fantastic. Keeps getting people writing him off, keeps raising his performances.

Tomori - when ball on the ground and it is his, if it is in the air he struggles, but that will come with experience. He is great with it at his feet as well, whether that is passing out or bringing the ball out. Curtis has a job on his hands getting back into the team.

Forsyth - Mr dependable once again. Solid at the back, nice cheeky back heel as well was a highlight. Still don't understand why people want him dropped.

Johnson - What. A. Pass. Had a fabulous game, he is growing in the role of defensive midfield. Also forming a good partnership with Mount and Bryson. 

Mount - top, top talent, his all round play was brilliant, lovely freekick for his goal, almost got another with that cheeky attempt 2nd half. Anyone know what he got booked for? 

Bryson - ran and ran and ran. Great play for the first goal, wanted Wilson to return the favour 2nd half. Silly booking took away from a good performance.

Bennett - needs to relax, the goal will come, needs to stop trying to force it. Played very well, constant threat down the right first half.

Wilson - he was a joy to watch 1st half, the goal certainly gave him a massive confidence boost. Could have pulled it back for Bryson to tap in but decided to go alone and hit the post. 

Nugent - great finish. Ran and ran again. He had a right go at Bennett 2nd half for not being tighter on one of their defenders whilst Nuge was closing down, you could see Bennett's head drop after that, was disappointing to see. 

Subs

FloJo - up against his old club, and wanted to prove a point. Some good touches. 

Marriott - good play, needs longer on the pitch to show how good he is.

Malone - not on long enough to do anything.

Brilliant today, best football for a few years. 

Carson 8

Bogle 8 just gets better

Keogh 8 solid

Tomori 8 improves every game

Fozzy 7 defended well 

Johnson 7 gets stuck in 

Bryson 9 knitted everything together, high press guys a genius 

Mount 9 future stat 

Wilson 7 very bright will only get better 

Nugent 7 great finish runs ass off

bennett 7 gives his everything 

UP THE RAMS

21 minutes ago, rynny said:

Nugent - great finish. Ran and ran again. He had a right go at Bennett 2nd half for not being tighter on one of their defenders whilst Nuge was closing down, you could see Bennett's head drop after that, was disappointing to see. 

That's where Mason has to improve.

This is men's football at the highest level, he'll have to learn to take a bollocking from a teammate, and not let it affect him.

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.