v Brentford (H) Match Thread

Boycie

8 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

It was picked up, I noticed it. Nugent was pressing and they played the ball to their left back and Nugent was angry that Bennett hadn't joined him in the press. I'm fine with it, he's always been someone who'll put an arm around the younger players and keep them calm, so if he feels it's necessary to give them a bit of a bollocking for not putting in the same level of effort as his old legs are managing then that's fair enough in my books. I also noticed him get quite angry when Wilson chose to try and dink it over the keeper rather than pull it back across the box, which again I think is understandable 

From where I was sat it looked like Bennett was right up his arse and couldn't get any closer, which stopped him turning and his only option was to pass it back to the player that Nugent had just closed down, but Nugent had followed the ball and it went back to his man. Like I said to Rev, I will watch it back and see if Mason was as close as I thought he was. 

I didn't see Nugent have a go at Wilson, saw Bryson have a go at him for that though. 

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Norman said:

He's small, mate. His bone structure is tiny. I have a pic of him stood next to a 15 year old kid from the Notts County game and their shoulder width is not far off each other. 

He has muscle, but it looks more because it is on a tiny frame with low body fat.

He has more muscle, especially on his legs than most footballers, but the weight is about right.

He’s still taller than Wilson though but the bone density point is probably correct. Looking at their statures though it’s hard to believe that Wilson weighs more than Johnson and Bennett when he has the perception of being a lightweight whereas Johnson and Bennett are perceived to be tanks.

10 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

My bet would be that miss Lampard was born in London. Not only because Frank referred to going 'back' for the birth but also because Christine was pregnant before he got the job and therefore her maternity care would have started, and probably continued, in London.

I know there’s no innuendo, but it genuinely sounds from your post that you’re a matron in a maternity ward!

C6D8C50E-5710-4F5F-B383-FF48560DACDC.png

14 hours ago, ram59 said:

You can't say things like that, people on here will ridicule you for thinking that a player could play in another position! 

I'm with him. In light of people wondering how Curtis Davis will get back in the team when he's fit, how about he goes back in central defence, and Tomori moves forwards to play defensive mid? A  bit tough on Bradders, but a terrific option to have!

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm loving the Keogh - Tomori partnership. Two excellent ball playing centre backs who also increasingly can defend together.

Gives Lampard a bit of a head scratcher with his captain back in training next week

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Always baffled by the editing on these. In this case not a single instance of Bogle's forward forays.  But lots of shots of people in the crowd clapping.

Almost reminds me of those Pathé newsreels from the post-War period which were mostly just shots of the crowd waving joyfully with about 5 seconds of Stanley Matthews running past someone.

I get it in the 1950s, when everyone wanted to see people having a good time and wanted to know which minor royal was at the match. But it’s weird to be in 2018 and watching fans applaud as “highlights” at the expense of football action.

First half was the best 45 minutes for a long time.

The standard has been set and we now know what this team is capable of.

Unfortunately I don't think we will have too many opponents at Pride Park this season that will try and play such expansive football. 

FL now needs to concentrate on getting us creating as many chances against teams that come and park the bus.

2 hours ago, cannable said:

I said to my Dad that I thought yesterday was the best we’ve played in years. Since Mac 1 the Hull 4-0 is the only other game up there. 

It seems Carson agrees with me too! 

Yes the last time I remember a first half like yesterday with being on the edge of my seat was v Wolves in Sept 2015. That had two great goals from Chris M, a peno missed for his hattrick and Johnson scoring from a corner from the peno save. 

23 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

It was picked up, I noticed it. Nugent was pressing and they played the ball to their left back and Nugent was angry that Bennett hadn't joined him in the press. I'm fine with it, he's always been someone who'll put an arm around the younger players and keep them calm, so if he feels it's necessary to give them a bit of a bollocking for not putting in the same level of effort as his old legs are managing then that's fair enough in my books. I also noticed him get quite angry when Wilson chose to try and dink it over the keeper rather than pull it back across the box, which again I think is understandable 

Watched it back and Bennett wasn't as close to the defender as I thought at the time. However what I also missed was how much Bennett was dropping in when Bryson was pushing on, and it looked like Bryson was going to help with the press and Bennett went to drop in. 

As you say Nugent is normally brilliant with his geeing up of players and that is why it stood out and I mentioned it. 

7 hours ago, rynny said:

Watched it back and Bennett wasn't as close to the defender as I thought at the time. However what I also missed was how much Bennett was dropping in when Bryson was pushing on, and it looked like Bryson was going to help with the press and Bennett went to drop in. 

As you say Nugent is normally brilliant with his geeing up of players and that is why it stood out and I mentioned it. 

Apology accepted.

The first half was terrific. So many chances

• wilson shot saved by bentley
  • mount shot over the bar
  • wilson goal 
  • mount volley from the free-kick
  • nugent goal
  • nugent header
  • mount free-kick goal
  • bennett shot wide

.....after that i lost count

compare with the play off game v fulham at home. 2 shots in 90 mins?

Good to see the feel good factor back at the club, the players want to play for each other and it's obvious. Many of us (including myself) were concerned that Lamps could get this group to gell with each other with the sheer number of signings and changes, but he seems to be doing a great job of it so far. 

So, We batter Brentford 3-1 after being 1-0 down - Brentford being arguably one of the best footballing sides in the league according to some.

What amazed me was how much quality was on our bench - I believe we have the strongest squad in the league.

Roos, Wisdom, Malone, Huddlestone, Flo Jo, Waghorn and Marriott. So so strong all of them could be playing championship football.

Pundits say Leeds, Boro, Villa etc - If Leeds lose Saiz there ducked. Boro are such a boring side and have average players IMO. And splash the cash Villa are the furthest thing from a squad as possible.

As a squad, as a group i think we have the closest and best bunch. Proud Ram, Now lets got to Man U where i think its only fair to play a strong side as a reward to the players for how they have adapted, and get a win....

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

So, We batter Brentford 3-1 after being 1-0 down - Brentford being arguably one of the best footballing sides in the league according to some.

What amazed me was how much quality was on our bench - I believe we have the strongest squad in the league.

Roos, Wisdom, Malone, Huddlestone, Flo Jo, Waghorn and Marriott. So so strong all of them could be playing championship football.

Pundits say Leeds, Boro, Villa etc - If Leeds lose Saiz there ducked. Boro are such a boring side and have average players IMO. And splash the cash Villa are the furthest thing from a squad as possible.

As a squad, as a group i think we have the closest and best bunch. Proud Ram, Now lets got to Man U where i think its only fair to play a strong side as a reward to the players for how they have adapted, and get a win....

I honestly thought on paper Stoke have a ridiculous squad. Their ageing defence seems to be the problem however, and club legends like Shawcross and Pieters are getting some heavy flak. Also Rowett seems to have some kind of row with Bauer who's better than both of them imo.

Archived