v Brentford (H) Match Thread

Boycie

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a late analysis but that first 30 was some of the best football I've ever seen a Derby side play. To play with that intensity for the entire first half and to cut open a very good Championship side as many times as we did was fantastic to see.

It reminded me of the Leeds performance, except this time we were the ones doing the high pressing rather than being bullied and cut apart. Bielsa gets huge plaudits for that but Lampard deserves them too. He's managed to create a style of management that he is used to as a top level footballer and one that is entertaining. I've never understood the likes of Rowett who has the sole intention of doing the basics and nothing more, winning games through dire football. The style is the biggest and best difference between this season and last and I cannot wait to see where Lampard can take us. 

If we can start to do that on a weekly basis away as well as home, we will be right at the top come May. Also, really good to see Bryson, Johnson and Forsyth on the top of their games today. Each one has struggled at times over the last few weeks and months but they are still first team Championship players. A word for Tomori too, who I'm convinced will end up in midfield by the end of the season.

?

After Tuesday I was happy with the performance, and then the team just went and topped it.

Carson - no chance with the goal, an excellent save 1st half, did really well not to push it in to the path of the on rushing striker.

Bogle - not quite as good as Tuesday but still brilliant. Can see him scoring soon. 

Keogh - captain fantastic. Keeps getting people writing him off, keeps raising his performances.

Tomori - when ball on the ground and it is his, if it is in the air he struggles, but that will come with experience. He is great with it at his feet as well, whether that is passing out or bringing the ball out. Curtis has a job on his hands getting back into the team.

Forsyth - Mr dependable once again. Solid at the back, nice cheeky back heel as well was a highlight. Still don't understand why people want him dropped.

Johnson - What. A. Pass. Had a fabulous game, he is growing in the role of defensive midfield. Also forming a good partnership with Mount and Bryson. 

Mount - top, top talent, his all round play was brilliant, lovely freekick for his goal, almost got another with that cheeky attempt 2nd half. Anyone know what he got booked for? 

Bryson - ran and ran and ran. Great play for the first goal, wanted Wilson to return the favour 2nd half. Silly booking took away from a good performance.

Bennett - needs to relax, the goal will come, needs to stop trying to force it. Played very well, constant threat down the right first half.

Wilson - he was a joy to watch 1st half, the goal certainly gave him a massive confidence boost. Could have pulled it back for Bryson to tap in but decided to go alone and hit the post. 

Nugent - great finish. Ran and ran again. He had a right go at Bennett 2nd half for not being tighter on one of their defenders whilst Nuge was closing down, you could see Bennett's head drop after that, was disappointing to see. 

Subs

FloJo - up against his old club, and wanted to prove a point. Some good touches. 

Marriott - good play, needs longer on the pitch to show how good he is.

Malone - not on long enough to do anything.

Brilliant today, best football for a few years. 

Carson 8

Bogle 8 just gets better

Keogh 8 solid

Tomori 8 improves every game

Fozzy 7 defended well 

Johnson 7 gets stuck in 

Bryson 9 knitted everything together, high press guys a genius 

Mount 9 future stat 

Wilson 7 very bright will only get better 

Nugent 7 great finish runs ass off

bennett 7 gives his everything 

UP THE RAMS

21 minutes ago, rynny said:

Nugent - great finish. Ran and ran again. He had a right go at Bennett 2nd half for not being tighter on one of their defenders whilst Nuge was closing down, you could see Bennett's head drop after that, was disappointing to see. 

That's where Mason has to improve.

This is men's football at the highest level, he'll have to learn to take a bollocking from a teammate, and not let it affect him.

Just now, reveldevil said:

This is men's football at the highest level, he'll have to learn to take a bollocking from a teammate, and not let it affect him.

I’ll do a full write up of what I saw at some point, as a disclaimer it’s pretty much all positive! But I must say I was actually quite disappointed in Bennett today, particulary second half. He tired a bit but he was making quite a few poor decisions, I can see why Nugent was getting frustrated.

30 minutes ago, HuddersRam said:

Bit of a late analysis but that first 30 was some of the best football I've ever seen a Derby side play. To play with that intensity for the entire first half and to cut open a very good Championship side as many times as we did was fantastic to see.

It reminded me of the Leeds performance, except this time we were the ones doing the high pressing rather than being bullied and cut apart. Bielsa gets huge plaudits for that but Lampard deserves them too. He's managed to create a style of management that he is used to as a top level footballer and one that is entertaining. I've never understood the likes of Rowett who has the sole intention of doing the basics and nothing more, winning games through dire football. The style is the biggest and best difference between this season and last and I cannot wait to see where Lampard can take us. 

If we can start to do that on a weekly basis away as well as home, we will be right at the top come May. Also, really good to see Bryson, Johnson and Forsyth on the top of their games today. Each one has struggled at times over the last few weeks and months but they are still first team Championship players. A word for Tomori too, who I'm convinced will end up in midfield by the end of the season.

?

Agree with most of that, particularly the comments on Bryson, Johnson and Forsyth. All three have struggled at times this season but on a day when all were back close to their best, I find it so sad that one or two posters have been churlish and still find something to criticise. Unbelievably, one reckoned Forsyths' first touch and attacking play was "crap as usual" - I lost count of the number of times he played the ball down the line into space for Wilson, Bennett and Mount to run onto but hey, some people will complain no matter what. 

15 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

If justified then absolutely, but his positioning was fine, and was unjust, imo. 

1 hour ago, HuddersRam said:

?

Great post; and I agree about Tomori...seems a tad wasted at Centre Half. 

2 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

A few thoughts about the game. Some of this is the BrewDog speaking, but still...

I haven't enjoyed 45 minutes of football as much as that first half since 13/14. It was almost like the first minute goal was irrelevant. We just played as though it hadn't happened, and in the remaining 89 minutes delivered one of the trademark 3-0 home wins that characterised (much of) that glorious season.

All the hype about Mason Mount... is true. What a player. Technique, time, strength, vision and goal threat. He is going to be remembered as England's greatest midfielder since Gascoigne.

Bogle - ought to make his England debut on the same day as MM. I really mean that. Will Hughes is the only player I have ever seen who was as accomplished aged 18.

Wilson - I thought until today that he was a bit of a mardy kid. Now I can see he can play too. He was electric first half. Disappointed that he didn't pass when he was through after the break - would have been a certain 4-1. Lamps alluded to it in his interview on RD. He'll learn.

Johnson - I have never been a fan. Somehow he has become a better footballer. It can only be the coaching. Wow.

Tomori and Keogh - Davies must be preparing for an extended spell on the bench. Never saw that coming.

Forsyth - I'm just delighted for him. He must have thought he was finished at Derby. He's back.

Best of all, it was such a great performance, and Bryson was the beating heart of the team. Received wisdom says he's a player who is "everywhere". Today he was. Deserved MOTM without a doubt, and I couldn't be happier about it.

What's not to like about the Lampard era? He has bonded with the fans already. His daughter has been born in Derbyshire. He is bringing the best out of Bennett and Nugent. Love it.

My bet would be that miss Lampard was born in London. Not only because Frank referred to going 'back' for the birth but also because Christine was pregnant before he got the job and therefore her maternity care would have started, and probably continued, in London.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

After Tuesday I was happy with the performance, and then the team just went and topped it.

Carson - no chance with the goal, an excellent save 1st half, did really well not to push it in to the path of the on rushing striker.

Bogle - not quite as good as Tuesday but still brilliant. Can see him scoring soon. 

Keogh - captain fantastic. Keeps getting people writing him off, keeps raising his performances.

Tomori - when ball on the ground and it is his, if it is in the air he struggles, but that will come with experience. He is great with it at his feet as well, whether that is passing out or bringing the ball out. Curtis has a job on his hands getting back into the team.

Forsyth - Mr dependable once again. Solid at the back, nice cheeky back heel as well was a highlight. Still don't understand why people want him dropped.

Johnson - What. A. Pass. Had a fabulous game, he is growing in the role of defensive midfield. Also forming a good partnership with Mount and Bryson. 

Mount - top, top talent, his all round play was brilliant, lovely freekick for his goal, almost got another with that cheeky attempt 2nd half. Anyone know what he got booked for? 

Bryson - ran and ran and ran. Great play for the first goal, wanted Wilson to return the favour 2nd half. Silly booking took away from a good performance.

Bennett - needs to relax, the goal will come, needs to stop trying to force it. Played very well, constant threat down the right first half.

Wilson - he was a joy to watch 1st half, the goal certainly gave him a massive confidence boost. Could have pulled it back for Bryson to tap in but decided to go alone and hit the post. 

Subs

FloJo - up against his old club, and wanted to prove a point. Some good touches. 

Marriott - good play, needs longer on the pitch to show how good he is.

Malone - not on long enough to do anything.

Mount was booked for bringing one of their players down off the ball. Brentford were breaking and everyone chasing back. A Brentford player fell over and the ref obviously felt that Mason brought him down deliberately. Hard to tell whether it was that or a simple accidental clash. MM didn't complain much.

38 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Fair enough, you were there and I wasn't, just seems unlike Nugent to berate a teammate when he's such a team man.

Just seemed disproportionate. Was quite shocked when he did it. Will watch it again see if it was picked up on Rams TV when the full 90 is up. 

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

Just seemed disproportionate. Was quite shocked when he did it. Will watch it again see if it was picked up on Rams TV when the full 90 is up. 

It was picked up, I noticed it. Nugent was pressing and they played the ball to their left back and Nugent was angry that Bennett hadn't joined him in the press. I'm fine with it, he's always been someone who'll put an arm around the younger players and keep them calm, so if he feels it's necessary to give them a bit of a bollocking for not putting in the same level of effort as his old legs are managing then that's fair enough in my books. I also noticed him get quite angry when Wilson chose to try and dink it over the keeper rather than pull it back across the box, which again I think is understandable 

Really pleasing win and performance by all accounts.

It’ll make the Porto Tonico in the Sunday afternoon sunshine taste even sweeter.

But it means nothing if we don’t back it up.

As good as we seemingly were today, it’d be typical Derby to go to Bolton next week and revert to the kind of performance we saw against Rotherham.

This league is wide open at the moment, so somehow we’ve been able to drop points against Rotherham and Blackburn and still be in touching distance of the league leaders.

But it won’t stay like that forever. Two or three teams will eventually catch fire - and right now I’d be saying to the players that it could be us, because we have the quality and it’s high time we showed it consistently.

Here’s where Frank needs to tap into his man management skills and get more out of this team.

Today shouldn’t be a one off.

We're seemingly getting better every game, and trying to play football in exactly the right way. I'm loving the Lampard reign so far, giving Bogle and Bennett a chance, getting two top quality loans from Chelsea, and with such a young squad, and a new manager this is extremely encouraging. Bring on United.

Archived