v Blackburn Rovers (H) Match Thread

Boycie

3 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

He's EIGHTEEN for pity sake! Better than Will at 18?

He's not, he's 19.

At 19 Hughes was part of the team that took us to the play off final.

Pretty different players but no, from what I have seen so far, I don't think he's as good as Hughes was at 19.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Despite the result I think Derby took a step forward last night. This was definitely the most complete performance of the season so far. For 65-70 mins we were excellent whereas in other games best we could manage to sustain good performance was in spells of 20-30 mins at best. Got to keep going when we don’t get our rewards. Should have been 2 or 3 up but lost our way in the last 25-30 of the game.

Midfield balance has been the key issue but last night it was there. Mount is much more effective in an advanced role and is getting better and better with every game. He’s a real talent and we’re lucky to have him.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence either that our best performance coincided with Bryson’s best game of the season. His energy really made us tick and he looked a yard quicker last night, don’t think he once slid in to maintain possession of the ball which is usually a sign to me when he’s not quite on it. He’s always needed 6-8 games to get himself into form, hope he stays fit now. 

Johnson again was solid. I’ve been a huge critic of his but I think Bryson and Johnson are first choice alongside Mount in midfield now.

There remains inconsistency of team selection in the forwards but I think whichever combination we choose is dangerous and there is loads of competition. Nuge keeps performing when everyone writes him off, Bennett has been a revelation. Jozefzoon from looking outstanding in previous games was completely off it last night, far and away our worst performer and can’t see him keeping his place for Saturday.

Back 4 is settled for me right now. Only Davies to come back in but really difficult decision as to who will make way as Tomori keeps improving and again Keogh is stepping up when people write him off. Fozzy has rolled back the clock 3 years and is first choice left back, Bogle is just sheer bloody class!

Brentford will be a difficult test but we need to build on this performance as it’s the first real sign things could be coming together. I think Frank is much closer to finding his first 11 after that performance.

Johnson solid? He scares me every time he has the ball, especially when he's the last line and he thinks he can out skill a forward player. He had a few near misses last night. One if his shots last night made me laugh out loud. He's the best of a very bad bunch that's fit at the moment for the CDM role. I pray George Evans can be similar Eustace. 

13 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Johnson solid? He scares me every time he has the ball, especially when he's the last line and he thinks he can out skill a forward player. He had a few near misses last night. One if his shots last night made me laugh out loud. He's the best of a very bad bunch that's fit at the moment for the CDM role. I pray George Evans can be similar Eustace. 

Best chance of the match probably fell to Dack and without Johnson's presence he would almost certainly have scored.

17 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

"I think the lad Johnson controlled the game.

Comment from Tony Mowbray.

2 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

I pray we can muster something out of George Thorne -still the best CDM we have . Would like him to have 5-6 games in a row to put to bed if we still have the player we signed in 14/15 or not.

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

He's not, he's 19.

Pretty different players but no, from what I have seen so far, I don't think he's as good as Hughes was at 19.

We need to remind everyone like the media did about Sssseeeeggggnooonnn

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

He's not, he's 19.

He turned 19 a month before the final! He was named in the TOTS at 18 and was less than two weeks into being 20 when he was named our POTS! 

I’m never sure it’s quite fair arguing over who was/is better. Hughes was playing in a team that was two then three years in the making, it was balanced and it suited him down to the ground. Mount’s playing in a team that’s been hastily assembled and a consistent XI hasn’t been settled on yet.

Plus they’re totally different types of midfielder, Hughes makes things tick, Mount is all about the final ball or shot. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

He turned 19 a month before the final! He was named in the TOTS at 18 and was less than two weeks into being 20 when he was named our POTS! 

I’m never sure it’s quite fair arguing over who was/is better. Hughes was playing in a team that was two then three years in the making, it was balanced and it suited him down to the ground. Mount’s playing in a team that’s been hastily assembled and a consistent XI hasn’t been settled on yet.

Plus they’re totally different types of midfielder, Hughes makes things tick, Mount is all about the final ball or shot. 

Agree.

Hughes was there to control games and he did it on a weekly basis.

Mount is a match winner and, although I'm impressed by him, he's not done as much as I was expecting yet (although that's more my fault than his!)

Archived