v Blackburn Rovers (H) Match Thread

Boycie

13 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Valley, I thought he was pretty quiet last night, agree with the majority of your summing up though of the game. I don’t know but for me I don’t think he’s fully got going yet, but you could possibly say that for the whole of the midfield I’d imagine. I do think once that middle of the park clicks, we are going to take some games apart I really do..... it takes time. 

Funny... I felt that was his best game in a long time

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Even if true, did it really make that much difference?! Seems we need to find a stick to beat every player with.

Definitely not looking for any stick to beat Carson with, was a simple observation. Sometimes he needs to set the pace and get us going again, keep us on the front foot, if he slows it down unnecessarily and we lose momentum then it can be a big deal.

Also it is not as if he had much else to do last night that could be commented on.

Encouraged with our first half performance last night, and with the way we tried to play throughout.  It seems our biggest problem is the 'number 9' position.  I don't think Frank knows who to pick there yet. Do we have anyone in the squad that will give us 20 a season in the Championship?  At the moment Mount is our biggest goal threat.  Without an established finisher, it will be difficult for us to be competing for promotion come the end of the season.

Pretty much stating the obvious here i know. 

7 hours ago, Mazzaram said:

I felt that at times, especially in the first half, we were terrific. There was a far better balance to the midfield and I thought that was a good blend. Some of the passing triangles were very slick and we tore them apart. I get to the stage where I ignore the moaners. I've been going to Derby since 1969, and it's always been the same. These so-called 'fans' are never happier than when they are abusing Keogh or Johnson; players who always give 100% on the pitch. I think it will be a tough game on Saturday, and I'd take another draw. As long as we play like that, we'll be fine this season.

UTR

I think those that rinse Keogh and Johnson have only played football on 3G pitches wearing pink Nike boots, pieces of white tape round the ankles and think a step over must be completed immediately on receipt of the ball.

Some of us older dragons prefer  an all black set of boots, nursing a hangover and some good old fashioned sledgehammer football. Johnson is just that. 

He puts it about because he can and I actually like him for that, in lieu of his limited technique and vision. Van Der Laan got us up doing the same!

Conversely Lawrence puts it about (on Saturday especially) with petulence and arrogance, of which I don't like. 

Despite Lawrence being a way better player overall, I find it easier to like a Johnson or a Keogh.

**In my opinion.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Definitely not looking for any stick to beat Carson with, was a simple observation. Sometimes he needs to set the pace and get us going again, keep us on the front foot, if he slows it down unnecessarily and we lose momentum then it can be a big deal.

Also it is not as if he had much else to do last night that could be commented on.

May I confess that Carson's slow distribution (not to mention the age he takes to retrieve the ball) enrages me and makes me WANT to BEAT HIM WITH A STICK. I'm not saying it's rational or fair.

Being as I was slated for having  a go at incompetent refs a couple of matches ago, I thought I'd get the ref bit over and done with early, especially as there are many on here who think the same way about our match officials. So here we go;

I thought Frank Lampard showed remarkable restraint last night. He kept well within the technical area all night, and there were no histrionics or gestures towards the match officials, unlike Saturday against Rotherham. Although he expressed disappointment at our performance for much of Saturday's match, he did let it slip that he thought that we didn't get any of the refereeing decisions all game long, with either the non-penalty (get used to it, Frank) or the non-foul on Bogle (get used to it, Frank) being the final trigger.

You'd better get used to it Frank - you played the bulk of your career for the fancy-Dan teams, and never experienced match officials giving virtually every decision to the opposition. Welcome to Derby, Frank.

I have to say that last night's officials were incredibly fair and even-handed, right the way up to the 2 minute 27 seconds mark, when it all started. We barely had to stand on a Blackburn player's shadow for him to be giving a free-kick. An important moment was when we were on a very promising breakaway early in the second half, which was halted by a cynical, "professional" foul just inside the Blackburn half. The ball broke to Mason Bennett on the right wing in acres of space, and he was away, chasing in on goal. Oh no he wasn't, it was much more important to stop the play at that point (i.e. well after the foul had happened) and wave the yellow card. He missed a clear handball outside the area by their keeper in the first half, right in front of his nose, but nothing given. And irrespective of end product, it seems that Mason Bennett is the new Johnny Russell, because he gets hacked down at every opportunity. He was crashed into and sent flying through the air into the technical area, grazing his thigh as he landed, but nothing given, then crunched a second time a few minutes later, with the ref waving play for the advantage, indicating that he would deal with the offender later. We are still waiting. Harry Wilson became the next target, being given a colossal crunch which sent him flying over the touchline. No foul given, yet the only difference between this and Lawrence's red card effort was that the ball was still in the vicinity.

And then there was the penalty shout. Quite a few say that it was rightly not given, and one or two near me thought it might have been seen as a shoulder-to-shoulder challenge. Not convinced. If the challenges which merited free-kicks to Blackburn were fouls, then the challenge on Wilson was akin to assault and battery. So the ref has now affected the score two matches in a row.

To the match - it was the best I have seen us play since the days of Mac 1. Early doors it had the makings of a tough match, with Blackburn challenging hard for everything. And although physical, it was nowhere near as thuggish as some of our recent encounters this season. After about 10 - 15 minutes we began to find our feet, and there seemed to be a growing awareness that our better ability could overcome their physicality. And for about 15 - 20 minutes we were all over them, almost camping entirely in their half. I haven't seen such a sustained level of control and dominance for years. The second half was not quite as good, apart from the last 20 minutes or so, when Blackburn got back into the game and began to threaten - it seemed that their third substitution had an effect on the game.

What has impressed me was the number of times that when one of our players had the ball, he had options available as to who to pass to. And the movement off the ball is also much better, as was our ability to switch the play from one side to another all over the pitch. And maybe our zero wasn't necessarily due to our inefficiency in front of goal, but good, last-minute defending, but we also had a load of really strong shots hit with real venom, something else which has improved.

Although I am disappointed that we didn't score, it isn't that important, because we are a work in progress, and last night I saw lots of evidence of progress in the right direction. The football was entertaining, and the players really did give their all. I don't know what Frank and Jody have done, but their didn't seem to be anybody struggling with confidence, especially Bradley Johnson, who had a great game. He made a few mistakes, but had an arrogance and swagger about him which made me think (just a little) of Stimac. Great to see. There wasn't a player who under-performed last night, and singling out a stand out performance is difficult, although Mount (inevitably), Bogle and Bennett just about shade it. Also a mention for Nugent, who not only hassled and chased, but seems to be getting better at lay-offs and through balls. Not quite at the level of linking play, but making progress, even at this stage in his career. It is all very encouraging to see.

Needless to say, Dave is a very happy Ram right now!

42 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Being as I was slated for having  a go at incompetent refs a couple of matches ago, I thought I'd get the ref bit over and done with early, especially as there are many on here who think the same way about our match officials. So here we go;

I thought Frank Lampard showed remarkable restraint last night. He kept well within the technical area all night, and there were no histrionics or gestures towards the match officials, unlike Saturday against Rotherham. Although he expressed disappointment at our performance for much of Saturday's match, he did let it slip that he thought that we didn't get any of the refereeing decisions all game long, with either the non-penalty (get used to it, Frank) or the non-foul on Bogle (get used to it, Frank) being the final trigger.

You'd better get used to it Frank - you played the bulk of your career for the fancy-Dan teams, and never experienced match officials giving virtually every decision to the opposition. Welcome to Derby, Frank.

I have to say that last night's officials were incredibly fair and even-handed, right the way up to the 2 minute 27 seconds mark, when it all started. We barely had to stand on a Blackburn player's shadow for him to be giving a free-kick. An important moment was when we were on a very promising breakaway early in the second half, which was halted by a cynical, "professional" foul just inside the Blackburn half. The ball broke to Mason Bennett on the right wing in acres of space, and he was away, chasing in on goal. Oh no he wasn't, it was much more important to stop the play at that point (i.e. well after the foul had happened) and wave the yellow card. He missed a clear handball outside the area by their keeper in the first half, right in front of his nose, but nothing given. And irrespective of end product, it seems that Mason Bennett is the new Johnny Russell, because he gets hacked down at every opportunity. He was crashed into and sent flying through the air into the technical area, grazing his thigh as he landed, but nothing given, then crunched a second time a few minutes later, with the ref waving play for the advantage, indicating that he would deal with the offender later. We are still waiting. Harry Wilson became the next target, being given a colossal crunch which sent him flying over the touchline. No foul given, yet the only difference between this and Lawrence's red card effort was that the ball was still in the vicinity.

And then there was the penalty shout. Quite a few say that it was rightly not given, and one or two near me thought it might have been seen as a shoulder-to-shoulder challenge. Not convinced. If the challenges which merited free-kicks to Blackburn were fouls, then the challenge on Wilson was akin to assault and battery. So the ref has now affected the score two matches in a row.

To the match - it was the best I have seen us play since the days of Mac 1. Early doors it had the makings of a tough match, with Blackburn challenging hard for everything. And although physical, it was nowhere near as thuggish as some of our recent encounters this season. After about 10 - 15 minutes we began to find our feet, and there seemed to be a growing awareness that our better ability could overcome their physicality. And for about 15 - 20 minutes we were all over them, almost camping entirely in their half. I haven't seen such a sustained level of control and dominance for years. The second half was not quite as good, apart from the last 20 minutes or so, when Blackburn got back into the game and began to threaten - it seemed that their third substitution had an effect on the game.

What has impressed me was the number of times that when one of our players had the ball, he had options available as to who to pass to. And the movement off the ball is also much better, as was our ability to switch the play from one side to another all over the pitch. And maybe our zero wasn't necessarily due to our inefficiency in front of goal, but good, last-minute defending, but we also had a load of really strong shots hit with real venom, something else which has improved.

Although I am disappointed that we didn't score, it isn't that important, because we are a work in progress, and last night I saw lots of evidence of progress in the right direction. The football was entertaining, and the players really did give their all. I don't know what Frank and Jody have done, but their didn't seem to be anybody struggling with confidence, especially Bradley Johnson, who had a great game. He made a few mistakes, but had an arrogance and swagger about him which made me think (just a little) of Stimac. Great to see. There wasn't a player who under-performed last night, and singling out a stand out performance is difficult, although Mount (inevitably), Bogle and Bennett just about shade it. Also a mention for Nugent, who not only hassled and chased, but seems to be getting better at lay-offs and through balls. Not quite at the level of linking play, but making progress, even at this stage in his career. It is all very encouraging to see.

Needless to say, Dave is a very happy Ram right now!

Disagree on ref this time, thought he was firm and fair, and got nothing really wrong at all 

8 hours ago, DRBee said:

Some of the negative comments on here about Mount are unbelievable . He may sometimes try too hard , but his skill, vision and involvement are exceptional for someone of his age. He was very unlucky not to score last night.

Like Lampard, he needs to be given time. He will get even better during this season .

Think he looks a talent.

Free kick aside though I think his shooting let's him down and he often snatches at chances. 

2 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

He’s had good and bad reports from last night. But the only reference to what he actually did during the game, from both the good and bad reports was his running. 

You do seem to have some strange irrational dislike to all of our midfield which appears to be based on the fact that they are playing instead of Butterfield, and please don't take that as a bad criticism...we all have our favourite players (mine used to be Hendrick ?)

From pre-season, wasn't high pressing and getting the ball back when lost an important part of FLs tactics? If so, it's not hard to see why he thinks Bryson will fit into his team.

The disappointing thing with Bryson is that he doesnt seem to offer us much going forward with the ball these days.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You do seem to have some strange irrational dislike to all of our midfield which appears to be based on the fact that they are playing instead of Butterfield, and please don't take that as a bad criticism...we all have our favourite players (mine used to be Hendrick ?)

From pre-season, wasn't high pressing and getting the ball back when lost an important part of FLs tactics? If so, it's not hard to see why he thinks Bryson will fit into his team.

The disappointing thing with Bryson is that he doesnt seem to offer us much going forward with the ball these days.

In fairness, I’m hardly alone on here when suggesting our midfield is our weak area, but where is my irrational dislike of all of them? 

Irrational would be slagging off Mount. I’ve not uttered any word bar positive regards Mason. I think we are blessed to have him here for a year. Johnson might have his critics, but I’ve been a fan of his from day one. I accept his limitations but appreciate he offers things nobody else can. Where are my posts slating him? So you’re wrong. It’s just Bryson I’m not keen on (so far, this season). And it’s hardly ‘irrational’ of me to describe his season so far as bang average, ineffectual or suggest he’s only offering us graft. Is it? 

I haven’t said a word about Evans as I’ve not seen enough of him obviously. Huddlestone isn’t my cup of tea, I was against his signing at the time and he wouldn’t get a game were I in charge. But I barely post or remark on him. Ledley was a desperation signing at the time because Rowett bombed out three centre mids. And he’s been ok I suppose. I don’t mind him. Who else is left? Holmes. Lower league star, not seen enough of him to judge. 

So no. I think you’ve got me wrong. I don’t irrationally dislike any of our players. Even Bryson who along with Jozefzoon was the only player I criticised last night. I like Bryson. He’s a good bloke and in his pomp he was a fine asset. But for the last few years he’s deteriorated in my opinion and so far this season, he’s the one centre mid who’s offered us the least. It’s merely a POV, my opinion. Nothing more. 

22 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Crazy how opinions can differ. There's that young lad who films from the game and posts it on YouTube. I assume his opinions are influenced by others around him at the game, but who knows ... anyway, he's uploaded his video and described the first half as boring, awful and had no action whatsoever. Then at full time he described us as having no urgency and no desire. And of course at points during his fairly short video you can hear the fans around him slating the players. It's mad how we can all watch the same thing and come away thinking the complete opposite and how our expectations can differ so massively despite supporting the same club

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions otherwise we would all be boring Good Samaritans. 

43 minutes ago, Wrightdcfc said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions otherwise we would all be boring Good Samaritans. 

And I, along with others, are entitled to comment on how stupid I/we think some opinions are. Like your Johnson comment yesterday for example; I think that's something an absolute muppet would say, but hey, that's just my opinion ?

Despite the result I think Derby took a step forward last night. This was definitely the most complete performance of the season so far. For 65-70 mins we were excellent whereas in other games best we could manage to sustain good performance was in spells of 20-30 mins at best. Got to keep going when we don’t get our rewards. Should have been 2 or 3 up but lost our way in the last 25-30 of the game.

Midfield balance has been the key issue but last night it was there. Mount is much more effective in an advanced role and is getting better and better with every game. He’s a real talent and we’re lucky to have him.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence either that our best performance coincided with Bryson’s best game of the season. His energy really made us tick and he looked a yard quicker last night, don’t think he once slid in to maintain possession of the ball which is usually a sign to me when he’s not quite on it. He’s always needed 6-8 games to get himself into form, hope he stays fit now. 

Johnson again was solid. I’ve been a huge critic of his but I think Bryson and Johnson are first choice alongside Mount in midfield now.

There remains inconsistency of team selection in the forwards but I think whichever combination we choose is dangerous and there is loads of competition. Nuge keeps performing when everyone writes him off, Bennett has been a revelation. Jozefzoon from looking outstanding in previous games was completely off it last night, far and away our worst performer and can’t see him keeping his place for Saturday.

Back 4 is settled for me right now. Only Davies to come back in but really difficult decision as to who will make way as Tomori keeps improving and again Keogh is stepping up when people write him off. Fozzy has rolled back the clock 3 years and is first choice left back, Bogle is just sheer bloody class!

Brentford will be a difficult test but we need to build on this performance as it’s the first real sign things could be coming together. I think Frank is much closer to finding his first 11 after that performance.

Archived