v Blackburn Rovers (H) Match Thread

Boycie

1 hour ago, valleyram said:

Sometimes I just shake my head at some of the nonsense I read on here , I thought derby looked a really good team first half and could and should have been 3 or 4 up , my opinion is this team seems to be built around giving mason mount the shot at the end of every move though and at times around the 18 yard box I wish he would pick out another ram but that will hopefully come with experience , Bogle was mom and looks a great talent and I thought bryso was fantastic until he tired the last half hour 

Some of the negative comments on here about Mount are unbelievable . He may sometimes try too hard , but his skill, vision and involvement are exceptional for someone of his age. He was very unlucky not to score last night.

Like Lampard, he needs to be given time. He will get even better during this season .

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get that Nugent runs around and presses but what good does it do the team when he is shattered after 55 minutes. We have Waghorn and Marriott on the bench who are only going to improve with game time. We need goals up top and as Nugent proved last season he doesn't offer that.

Does Bryson realise that he can't control the ball if he sprints at it full pace. Sometimes last night the ball was there to be won and he just sprinted at it and it bounced off of him. 

We just need more quality and with the amount of money we spent on Waghorn and Marriott i think its time we let one of them have a proper run upfront.

1 hour ago, valleyram said:

Sometimes I just shake my head at some of the nonsense I read on here , I thought derby looked a really good team first half and could and should have been 3 or 4 up , my opinion is this team seems to be built around giving mason mount the shot at the end of every move though and at times around the 18 yard box I wish he would pick out another ram but that will hopefully come with experience , Bogle was mom and looks a great talent and I thought bryso was fantastic until he tired the last half hour 

No good just looking a good side ,you should beat sides as poor as blackburn.we all see it differently i thought Bryson was dreadful.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Strange I thought he was very good imho 

Thought he started out quietly, was very good during the 30 minutes before half-time when we were battering them and the  faded away in the 2nd half - no dreadful, not excellent, but overall, more positives than negatives....

1 hour ago, HorsforthRam said:

As @rynny mentioned...Carson’s slow distribution is frustrating. Felt like he was the away keeper at times he looked that casual retrieving the ball and passing it out

Even if true, did it really make that much difference?! Seems we need to find a stick to beat every player with.

At this point of the season I’d take a performance like that in a draw over a bad performance where we won 1-0.

If we play like that, 9 times out of 10 we’re going to win. We attacked confidently, were completely comfortable defensively and won the midfield battle. Apart from scoring, it was a pretty complete performance which is what you want to see right now.

If this was the end of the season and we desperately needed the points, I’d be more bothered about the result than the performance.

What’s holding us back at the moment is that none of our strikers are stepping up, no one’s put in a convincing performance and made the starting role their own. I’ve seen people complain about rotation but you’re seeing that once players show Lampard what he wants in their role (i.e. the excellent Bogle)the starting job seems to be there. None of the strikers have done that over 3/4 games yet and one of them needs to do it soon.

Nugent was fine last night but it’s a bit depressing he’s still starting up front for us. His hold up play can be good but his only real consistent asset is his closing down. He’s not quick enough to get in behind and he’s not strong enough to win contested balls. Part of the reason it never seemed to drop for us last night is because when the ball did drop near him in the right areas he’s a couple of yards off the pace or couldn’t outmuscle the defender.

I appreciate Nugent’s a reliable pro to get us through the start of the season and allow Waghorn/Marriott to settle but a 33 year old Nugent isn’t a starting striker for a play-off chasing team.

Bennett and Bogle look fantastic though, having those two down the right is such a good combination and they clearly know how to play together. Bogle has the confidence and composure to make his skill and athleticism count. With Bennett, I’ve always known he was strong and a powerful runner but he’s starting to show some real class on the ball. I didn’t expect the flicks and turns he was pulling off last night, combined with the assists he’s been racking up he’s showing he’s got what it takes for this level. Delighted he’s making the step up.

What I’m happiest about is the confidence the team played with after a difficult game on Saturday. Lampard has Forsyth and Johnson playing better than I ever thought they would this season, Tomori and Keogh have grown into a really good partnership and we have Academy players looking like the best players on the pitch. 

Last night was frustrating but the floodgates will open soon enough. Don’t be surprised if we put three past Brentford on Saturday.

Rovers fan here. Strange game last night, as soon as the line ups were out us lot knew we would be in for some rubbish, all our 3 leaders (Bennett, Graham and Mulgrew not starting) and a few players who we have a lot of hopes for like Brereton, Rothwell, Reed and Davenport (either through injury or the managers blind loyalty to the promoted players) aren't starting when they are clearly upgrades on some on the pitch last night. We honestly are a decent side, nothing more than mid-table, but last night was pretty poor from us, the manager knew he'd got it wrong early on, hence bringing on Graham who made a difference with his hold up play.

I thought you lot were a good side, Mount is a good player and Keogh at the back. Thought you really lacked something up front though. You missed Lawrence as well, obviously, had a season with us and was just okay (missed a sitter against burnley so in the bad books) but looks a real player for you lot.

Overall first half you could of scored 3 or 4, second half I thought was relatively quiet apart from your free kick which hit the bar and our chance when dack went around your keeper. I think you maybe ran out of ideas after 60 minutes or so, mainly due to your lack of presence up front and you gave away a lot of silly free-kicks which kept stopping any momentum you may have had. I think if Waghorn ends up doing okay, or you get someone in, in January, you'll be in with a shout for the play offs.

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

Some of the negative comments on here about Mount are unbelievable . He may sometimes try too hard , but his skill, vision and involvement are exceptional for someone of his age. He was very unlucky not to score last night.

Like Lampard, he needs to be given time. He will get even better during this season .

600+ posts, surely you should know by now nothing on here is unbelievable 

We'd have won if only we had ***************** up front!

******************* might as well not have played he was so anonymous!

Why was **************** substituted, he was our best player!

That was a penalty!

That was never a penalty in a million years!

Sooner we get rid of ************* the better IMHO!

Just a few useful phrases for use after any match where the Rams get less than three points, no matter how good or bad *******

are!

Just fill in the blanks guys!?

7 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

We'd have won if only we had ***************** up front!

******************* might as well not have played he was so anonymous!

Why was **************** substituted, he was our best player!

That was a penalty!

Sooner we get rid of ************* the better IMHO!

Just a few useful phrases for use after any match where the Rams get less than three points, no matter how good or bad *******

are!

Honestly over the years the name ''Keogh'' probably fits all of those.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Even if true, did it really make that much difference?! Seems we need to find a stick to beat every player with.

Yes, I think it does! Otherwise I wouldn’t mention it. Nothing to do with trying to find a stick to beat every player, as you put it. 

I believe it affects tempo and it also gives the receiver of the ball (more often than not the centre backs) a few more seconds. Same as a first time pass rather than taking two touches. 

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

At this point of the season I’d take a performance like that in a draw over a bad performance where we won 1-0.

If we play like that, 9 times out of 10 we’re going to win. We attacked confidently, were completely comfortable defensively and won the midfield battle. Apart from scoring, it was a pretty complete performance which is what you want to see right now.

If this was the end of the season and we desperately needed the points, I’d be more bothered about the result than the performance.

What’s holding us back at the moment is that none of our strikers are stepping up, no one’s put in a convincing performance and made the starting role their own. I’ve seen people complain about rotation but you’re seeing that once players show Lampard what he wants in their role (i.e. the excellent Bogle)the starting job seems to be there. None of the strikers have done that over 3/4 games yet and one of them needs to do it soon.

Nugent was fine last night but it’s a bit depressing he’s still starting up front for us. His hold up play can be good but his only real consistent asset is his closing down. He’s not quick enough to get in behind and he’s not strong enough to win contested balls. Part of the reason it never seemed to drop for us last night is because when the ball did drop near him in the right areas he’s a couple of yards off the pace or couldn’t outmuscle the defender.

I appreciate Nugent’s a reliable pro to get us through the start of the season and allow Waghorn/Marriott to settle but a 33 year old Nugent isn’t a starting striker for a play-off chasing team.

Bennett and Bogle look fantastic though, having those two down the right is such a good combination and they clearly know how to play together. Bogle has the confidence and composure to make his skill and athleticism count. With Bennett, I’ve always known he was strong and a powerful runner but he’s starting to show some real class on the ball. I didn’t expect the flicks and turns he was pulling off last night, combined with the assists he’s been racking up he’s showing he’s got what it takes for this level. Delighted he’s making the step up.

What I’m happiest about is the confidence the team played with after a difficult game on Saturday. Lampard has Forsyth and Johnson playing better than I ever thought they would this season, Tomori and Keogh have grown into a really good partnership and we have Academy players looking like the best players on the pitch. 

Last night was frustrating but the floodgates will open soon enough. Don’t be surprised if we put three past Brentford on Saturday.

What a great post - some much needed perspective.

Overall a very good performance, especially first half, I think they improved, rather than us faltering 2 nd. We sorely missed a clinical finisher like Vydra yesterday. The worrying thing for me was our 8/9 million pound replacements actually weakened the side ( along with Wilson) when they came on rather than improving our goal threat 

1 hour ago, steve brummie said:

We'd have won if only we had *******Vydra ********** up front!

******Wilson ************* might as well not have played he was so anonymous!

Why was *****Bennett*********** substituted, he was our best player!

That was a penalty!

Sooner we get rid of *******refs ****** the better IMHO!

Just a few useful phrases for use after any match where the Rams get less than three points, no matter how good or bad ***the ref ****

are!

54 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Yes, I think it does! Otherwise I wouldn’t mention it. Nothing to do with trying to find a stick to beat every player, as you put it. 

I believe it affects tempo and it also gives the receiver of the ball (more often than not the centre backs) a few more seconds. Same as a first time pass rather than taking two touches. 

The tempo of the game isn't why we didn't score.

3 hours ago, valleyram said:

If that was him dreadful he must be a better player than I even thought 

Valley, I thought he was pretty quiet last night, agree with the majority of your summing up though of the game. I don’t know but for me I don’t think he’s fully got going yet, but you could possibly say that for the whole of the midfield I’d imagine. I do think once that middle of the park clicks, we are going to take some games apart I really do..... it takes time. 

Archived