v Blackburn Rovers (H) Match Thread

Boycie

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone help me out. Some bell of end sat behind me kept shouting at Johnson calling him at one point ‘a piece of xxxx’ now I know he had a couple of forgettable efforts on goal but in a position he’s not natural too he’s impressed me yet again. Calm on the ball bar his one early hiccup. 

9 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Can someone help me out. Some bell of end sat behind me kept shouting at Johnson calling him at one point ‘a piece of xxxx’ now I know he had a couple of forgettable efforts on goal but in a position he’s not natural too he’s impressed me yet again. Calm on the ball bar his one early hiccup. 

Its one of the most annoying aspects of going to football when some young kid after his 2 pints of shandy starts abusing our players. and doesnt know when to stop ....I usually tell them to STFU but don't understand what enjoyment they actually get out of the game ......

9 hours ago, Harrowram said:

I get the impression that Bryson was completely anonymous. Am I right?

I only realised he was on the pitch at the start when the names got read out. Very poor by his standards

Obviously I was watching a different game to every one else. I thought he was very quiet. 

8 hours ago, jono said:

Apart from the final score that was one heck of an entertaining game. just missing a finishing touch. Could have been 3-0

Bennett and Bogle ... top drawer performances. And don’t they work well together. Bennett helps the midfield balance by sheer physical presence and a willingness to help out, track back and huge desire to be involved. Bogle has gone from academy kid to hot property in the space of half a dozen games. 

Nuge .. ran himself in to the ground and caused trouble all night.

Bryson .. great in the first 60 mins but ran out of steam.

Johnson .. clumsy sometimes yet surprisingly effective on occasions

Mount .. growing, at come points in the game he really was running the show

FloJo .. off day, not getting the ball where he can make best use of it.

everyone else .. did their jobs more or less, just came out empty handed. Pity, if we deserved what we got on Saturday but we didn’t get what we deserved tonight

was it a peno .. I was just too far away to see clearly but I can’t see why Wilson would dive considering where he was ?

ref was conned by way too much casual falling over and shirt tugging and we didn’t get a fair share of decisions. 

Marriot looked very lively when he came on but the team’s energy had dropped at that point which I think dented his chances of having an influence. 

Still ... lots of positives from the style and energy. As the Aussies say ...  She’ll be right mate 

We were obviously watching different games you and I.

Yes it could have been 3 - 0 (Either way)

Bennett and Bogle - yes very good.

Nuge did run around all evening but to no effect. 

Bryson - I thought he was poor compared to his usual standards and anonymous through most of the game.

Johnson - held the midfield together and if it wasn't for Bogle he would be my MoM.

Mount - I like this lad and I am sure he has been told to hit the ball if he gets in a good position. However as the game goes on he tends to shoot from ever increasing distances with little chance of beating a decent goal keeper, when clearly there are better options all around him. A little naive in that respect.

FloJo - agreed, he was out of sorts

Penalty? Not for me but like you said I didn't get a great look at it and with out the benefit of slow motion replays I won't know.

Marriott - Yes a lot of energy but looked like a school kid at a new school. (Not enough time to get to know his team mates yet).

Over all a good performance with very little end product. Apart from hitting the post, every time we had the ball in a scoring position we got it stuck under our feet. 

Much improvement required and a stable attack

45 minutes ago, Waffle said:

Undeniable the talent Mount has. However I do feel last night he was aware and felt the pressure of Southgate’s presence and because of that he was greedier in places he wouldn’t usually be

I disagree with his. Southgate knows how good he is as he was invited to train with England before the World Cup. Seems the press put too much pressure on the situation before last nights game. 

8 hours ago, jono said:

Apart from the final score that was one heck of an entertaining game. just missing a finishing touch. Could have been 3-0

Bennett and Bogle ... top drawer performances. And don’t they work well together. Bennett helps the midfield balance by sheer physical presence and a willingness to help out, track back and huge desire to be involved. Bogle has gone from academy kid to hot property in the space of half a dozen games. 

Nuge .. ran himself in to the ground and caused trouble all night.

Bryson .. great in the first 60 mins but ran out of steam.

Johnson .. clumsy sometimes yet surprisingly effective on occasions

Mount .. growing, at come points in the game he really was running the show

FloJo .. off day, not getting the ball where he can make best use of it.

everyone else .. did their jobs more or less, just came out empty handed. Pity, if we deserved what we got on Saturday but we didn’t get what we deserved tonight

was it a peno .. I was just too far away to see clearly but I can’t see why Wilson would dive considering where he was ?

ref was conned by way too much casual falling over and shirt tugging and we didn’t get a fair share of decisions. 

Marriot looked very lively when he came on but the team’s energy had dropped at that point which I think dented his chances of having an influence. 

Still ... lots of positives from the style and energy. As the Aussies say ...  She’ll be right mate 

I agree with most of this and was about to post something similar, but you've done the work for me. I thought Johnson was OK in the first half, found some good passes. His second half went downhill though, including a couple of massively off-target shots. I would also add Keogh misplaced a few passes that put us in trouble, but this is almost obligatory nowadays. There were a few chances to shoot last nightwhere we tried to pass, perhaps better to get a shot off? But, probably if they'd done that and missed then they would get lambasted for not passing. Overall, positive I think. Signs of a good team.

8 hours ago, McLovin said:

Unpopular opinion so I expect to be downvoted but taking the glamour away, Lampard has been average so far. We’ve had easy fixtures which has helped him to settle in so it’s going to be make or break between now and new year where the fixtures get tougher on paper. I guess that’s to be expected because he’s a rookie but he appears to be making the same mistakes as previous managers(Im looking at the season as a whole rather than this particular game where admittedly we played better but still not brilliant)

Like Rowett, Lampard appears to value hard work and passion higher than tactical play, so much so that by his own admission we did next to no tactical work for the first few weeks of pre season, purely physical work, whilst Leeds were doing triple sessions daily in pre season involving tactical work. Also, like Rowett, Lampard hasn’t really done anything so far to improve the midfield as a unit.

Meanwhile, he’s making similar mistakes to Clement where he’s expecting championship players to play like champions league quality players with this rotating midfield. Early this season he made Ledley play high up the pitch for some strange reason which made Ledley look worse than he actually is and appeared to do the same with Huddlestone at times against Rotherham. Maybe if we tried it more in pre season we’d be more accustomed to it but the likes Johnson of or Bryson aren’t good enough to play that kind of style.

Like a few previously, I’d honestly be looking to get Butterfield back into the fold somehow to act as a stop gap until January at least. He’d at least give us more technical ability in the midfield and put Huddlestone back in but as a defensive midfielder, none of this roaming up the pitch nonsense which leaves us exposed on the counter attack.

January’s  transfer window is going to be massive, I think we will be alright if we appropriately add in the midfield, but if not, I foresee a similar collapse to last season. My opinion.

Positives tonight though: Bennett and Bogle. Bogle’s much better than Wisdom offensively.

Unpopular opinion as you dare to mention the truth whilst others bury their heads in the sand?  Or unpopular opinion cos it's a rubbish?

"it’s going to be make or break between now and new year"

No it's not, unless you are the type of fan who is always looking for a new manager halfway thru the season if everything is not perfect.

"Im looking at the season as a whole rather than this particular game"

When you say whole season, you mean all 8 games right?

"for the first few weeks of pre season, purely physical work, whilst Leeds were doing triple sessions daily in pre season involving tactical work."

I'm sure there are multiple ways to skin a cat, or else everyone would be doing a Bielsa. Fair play to him if he gets Leeds up, but in recent times, his teams have a habit if imploding as his physical demands become too much. Who knows, we've had 8 games.

When you see a January collapse, are you thinking we are going to be high in the league at Xmas then fade right off? Or be midtable at Xmas (due to our harder fixtures) then collapse to the relegation places?

If we are midtable at Xmas, then I would expect us to finish midtable and have seen nothing to suggest we will drop further ie we've beaten poor teams already this season.

If we collapse from a high position, then we will have shown we are good enough for top 6 for half of the season, and our collapse will be down to our mental fragility again.

As the fans are the main constant through the collapse years, I'm blaming their demands for immediate success and the pressure created by their subsequent moaning at the first sign of imperfection.

I couldn't understand why it was so quiet last night as I thought it was a very impressive performance from everyone. 

Coming and reading the comments on here I would guess it was so quiet as so many people seem to think it wasn't very good.

I fear for our support if their expectations of a championship team are to play much above that performance. If one of those chances had gone in, surely that's an outstanding display, but without it, BJ should never play again, Bryson is anonymous, and we have nothing going forward?

I think a few need to get a grip.

Also seen plenty of comments about "young uns" abusing our players. Well around me the only voices I hear moaning and grumbling are from the older generation so let's not pin it on young people - there's far too many miserable sods of all ages at PPS who expect 11 Messis to dominate games winning 8-0.

Fair play to the 20 or 30 at the back of D block - kept singing all night even when nobody else was interested!

4 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

I couldn't understand why it was so quiet last night as I thought it was a very impressive performance from everyone. 

Coming and reading the comments on here I would guess it was so quiet as so many people seem to think it wasn't very good.

I fear for our support if their expectations of a championship team are to play much above that performance. If one of those chances had gone in, surely that's an outstanding display, but without it, BJ should never play again, Bryson is anonymous, and we have nothing going forward?

Also seen plenty of comments about "young uns" abusing our players. Well around me the only voices I hear moaning and grumbling are from the older generation so let's not pin it on young people - there's far too many miserable sods of all ages at PPS who expect 11 Messis to dominate games winning 8-0.

Fair play to the 20 or 30 at the back of D block - kept singing all night even when nobody else was interested!

Sounds like a good performance and a shame we didn't get all 3 points. I wonder if the moaners would be the same regardless of the level we were at ie moan if we underperformed in Champions League semi final or moan if we won first 10 games in League One, then drew to a team in the bottom 3.

Will Brentford be a team that "we should be beating" because they have a smaller fanbase? Or would we be satisfied with point vs one of the early high-fliers. Yeah right!

24 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I disagree with his. Southgate knows how good he is as he was invited to train with England before the World Cup. Seems the press put too much pressure on the situation before last nights game. 

I agree with that. I still think he was one of our top performers alongside Bennett and Bogle. But I think his decision making was affected by the pressure. Which I can’t fault a 19 year old lad for. It wasn’t meant as a criticism, I just thought there was a difference

Sometimes I just shake my head at some of the nonsense I read on here , I thought derby looked a really good team first half and could and should have been 3 or 4 up , my opinion is this team seems to be built around giving mason mount the shot at the end of every move though and at times around the 18 yard box I wish he would pick out another ram but that will hopefully come with experience , Bogle was mom and looks a great talent and I thought bryso was fantastic until he tired the last half hour 

I felt that at times, especially in the first half, we were terrific. There was a far better balance to the midfield and I thought that was a good blend. Some of the passing triangles were very slick and we tore them apart. I get to the stage where I ignore the moaners. I've been going to Derby since 1969, and it's always been the same. These so-called 'fans' are never happier than when they are abusing Keogh or Johnson; players who always give 100% on the pitch. I think it will be a tough game on Saturday, and I'd take another draw. As long as we play like that, we'll be fine this season.

UTR

29 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

I’ve just posted some quotes in the “View from the Outside” thread. They thought, (like you) our midfield was great, but thought the crowd was loud (unlike you) so just shows you how one man’s opinion isn’t 100% gospel. 

By and large a good game. At times we made Blackburn look poor and they have had a decent start to the season with an established team play. 

The spell where we were winning the ball back quickly in the first half is where we want to be. Unfortunately, in the last third, we were sometimes a bit rushed or tried to be too intricate but the tempo was definitely good. 

Energy levels dropped half way through the second half and there was a feeling that it wasn’t going to happen and the inevitable fear of a mistake at our end. 

Maybe we need to learn how to take a breather in spells of the game and keep the ball better before going again.

All in all, a decent performance with Lampard still trying to find the right blend .

Best performance of the season so far where we were very unlucky not to win and when an excellent manager like mowbury is taking players off in the first half and sitting so deep in the second half with 5 in midfield you know we were very good and I really enjoyed the game - unlike most of last season 

Carson - nothing to do really

bogle - excellent 

keogh - decent 

tomari - decent ( this guy could easily play the DCM role when Davies is fit)

Forsyth- very good and put in a couple of wonderful crosses as well

johnson - played well won 90% of everything and was willling to shoot ( another day they go in) 

bryson - fantastic first half winning everything and starting our moves off second half up against three in central midfield so less room 

mount- generally at the back end of moves but couldn’t get the ball in the net 

Bennett- great game - pace power and direct - let’s play him in the middle as central defenders will hate him

jo flo - fairly quiet but decent within that 

nugent- good experience but we need goals in that position but we sold our goal scorer ( I also think Martin would still be perfect with the other players we have)

subs 

waghorn Wilson Marriott - I thought they never really got involved much with there time on the pitch 

Few random thoughts :-

Fozzie's back ,folk need to remember the time it's took with regard to George, bit soon to write him off.

Bogle is a star and going to be worth a few bob .

Really enjoyed large part of the first half ,their subs  especially Graham changed the game .

Our football at times is so good to watch but we have an air of vulnerability about us  against better teams we will come unstuck .

FL needs to find a settled forward line .

Johnny Russell would be better in that side that what we have presently took some stick from certain sections but if  he had the final 10% he wouldn't have been at Derby  .Still haven't replaced Jamie Ward yet .

Midfield still the biggest issue I'm not sure we have the players at the club to sort it properly may need the January window .

Work in progress and happy so far ,tough game on Saturday .

Thought we played well last night, just didn't have the bounce of the ball in the box. There isn't a lot more we could have done to score. 

Carson - nothing really to do, needs to pick up the pace with his distribution at times. Slows it down unnecessarily at times.

Bogle - what a player this lad is. Looks good defending, even better going forward. 

Keogh - steady as a rock, would liked to see him take Graham off Bogle when the ball was in the air 2nd half. 

Tamori - again steady, some lovely passes, feel for him as nearly every game he has his shirt practically ripped off his back with none of the officials able to see it. And that bicycle kick!! 

Forsyth - I love fozzy. So underrated. Beast in defence, you know there will be a wayward pass or 2, but those low crosses he puts in are what all strikers dream of. Says something that they changed their right winger 3 times in the game, with the 3rd being a defensive midfielder. 

Johnson - battled, scrapped, some lovely passes, some horror passes, a couple of wayward shots.

Bryson - ran and ran and ran and ran. A few neat touches and passes. A stat that I saw, he was our only starting outfield player not to take a shot last night.

Mount - such a huge talent, unlucky with his shooting, his passing and vision are way above most players at this level. Did seem like he was trying a bit too hard in the first half settled down a bit 2nd.

Bennett - him and Bogle down the right ? his pace and power had their defence all over the place, did the horrible stuff as well, and doubled up on Palmer when needed to, unlucky not to score first half.

FloJo - he will feel disappointed with his performance last night, just didn't happen for him. Caused one bit of panic when it looked like their keeper may have handled the ball outside the box. 

Nugent - ran and ran and ran. Pressed and harried their defenders, probably on the pitch 15 minutes too long. After Mount's free kick it just wouldn't drop quickly enough for him to put the ball in the net.

Subs

Wilson - few nice touches, penalty? Looked it to me. 

Waghorn - didn't really do much, not really got the time to do much. 

Marriott - a lovely bit of play to set up Mount for a shot. I do like the look of him. A younger Nugent for me.

Their number 6 2nd half put in 2 horror challenges in on Mount and elbowed Bogle in the face. Lucky to stay on the pitch, never mind get away with all 3.

Archived